[1.1.3] KSO (Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter) Legacy Packs & Development Updates

Nazari1382

Hello all!

For those whom are looking for some help with launching the KSO Super 25 (and the Dauntless)  I have posted a video below.  It's long (32 mins, still need to learn how to do time acceleration in editing, but I think I have that nipped - next time I guess) and it covers the launch and some of the rendez-vous with a polar orbit (300 km) station (thanks for the M.O.L.E. mod @Angel-125).   @Avalon304 also posted a video in this thread detailing the usage of mechjeb.  I mention this as my entire flight is done under manual control.

I'll post the landing video (hopefully shorter) later this weekend.

NOTE: this was done in 1.2.2.  Although when testing the current community patches posted by @Nazari1382 in 1.3.x, the basics were the same.  Following the instructions contained in the PDF provided with the KSO download will give you the best results.  I only deviated my launch profile as I was going to a high altitude polar orbit.

Questions?  Comments?

Thanks to @Nazari1382 and @helldiver for the mod.  Thanks again to Nazari for getting the 1.3 community patches out.  Thanks to @Avalon304

, @shdwlrd, @Capt. Hunt, @Deimos Rast, @linuxgurugamer, @panarchist, @Red Iron Crown, @Vanamonde, @Angel-125, @Pak, and many others whom have helped get this mod going again one way or another, whether they knew they were helping or not.

EDIT: The landing portion of my recording is laggy as h$%%.  I think I was getting about 1 frame per minute.  Will try to shoot another one with just a landing.

Edited by smotheredrun
Potatoe computers are the best!!

52 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

@DiscoveryPlanet you will need to edit the kso_usi_ls patch. Remove the :for[kso] :needs[usilifesupport] and replace it with :AFTER [KSO|USILifeSupport] for all parts.

Why?  That completely changes how the patch applies, from being conditional on USI-LS to always applying, and applying later than it did before.  The current syntax should be ok, from your statement here.

32 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Why?  That completely changes how the patch applies, from being conditional on USI-LS to always applying, and applying later than it did before.  The current syntax should be ok, from your statement here.

The latest update to module manager causes errors when :needs is used. And it's affect will be disabled at some point. Check the MM thread for details.

2 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

The latest update to module manager causes errors when :needs is used. And it's affect will be disabled at some point. Check the MM thread for details.

I watch that thread.  I haven't seen *anything* like that.  The latest does throw errors if you have multiple of BEFORE/FOR/AFTER, but NEEDS is a different thing altogether.  And removing it would remove fully three-quarters of the usefulness of MM.

On 11/2/2017 at 4:10 PM, blowfish said:

I don't think it's related.  But here's the explanation of the order of all patches:

1. All patches marked :FIRST are run
  2. All patches with no pass specified are run (this is called the legacy pass)
  3. For each installed mod*, in alphabetical order:
    • All patches marked :BEFORE[mod] are run
    • All patches marked :FOR[mod] are run
    • All patches marked :AFTER[mod] are run
  4. All patches marked :FINAL are run

* ModuleManager considers a mod to be installed if one of the following 3 conditions is met:

• A DLL named mod.dll exists somewhere in GameData
  • A patch marked :FOR[mod] exists
  • A directory exists in GameData named mod/

Blowfish's answer on how to patch a patched part. The LS patches was written to update an already patched version of the station parts.

Right.  None of that impacts NEEDS, as NEEDS doesn't affect the order the patch is applied in.  (Well, the last three are what *triggers* a NEEDS patch to be applied.)  Moving the patch from FOR[KSO] to AFTER[KSO|USILifeSupport] does two things:

• No longer defines KSO as a mod in this patch.  (It may still be defined someplace else.)
  • Shifts when the mod in applied to later.  (After KSO or USILifeSupport.)
    • Which will probably be *much* later.

Now, if the patch needs to be changed from FOR[KSO] to AFTER[KSO], I can see that.  Not that I think it's necessary looking at the patches, but I could see it being something that could happen, if there were patches being applied to the parts during their creation that would impact this patch.  But the patch should still be conditional on USILifeSupport, which your adjustment removes.  And really, AFTER[KSO|USILifeSupport] is kinda dumb - KSO is always before USILifeSupport, so either you want it after one or the other.

@DStaal the patch wasn't written to just add basic compatibility to the shuttles and station. The patch was written to change patched modules for shuttle and station parts. It was written to allow the possibility of using custom stats than what is proscribed by usils. So with that in mind, it has to load after the initial KSO and usils patches load.

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

@DStaal the patch wasn't written to just add basic compatibility to the shuttles and station. The patch was written to change patched modules for shuttle and station parts. It was written to allow the possibility of using custom stats than what is proscribed by usils. So with that in mind, it has to load after the initial KSO and usils patches load.

But it doesn't change patched modules.  I don't know where you're thinking it does.  All it does - from reading it just now - is add modules and resources to the parts.  Technically, the order it's applied in doesn't matter at all - as long as the part exists in the KSP database, MM can make the additions the patch requests.

And even if it did your change is wrong.  You remove the conditional (the NEEDS), and put in a non-sensical ordering block ([KSO|USILifeSupport]).  If the order mattered, you'd want it to conditionally apply when USI-LS is installed, and after whatever patches where being applied.  Let's say that was in USI-LS - then you'd want something like :AFTER[USILifeSupport]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport].  Which would imply it was after KSO, since 'U' is after 'K' in the alphabet.

As far as I can tell, you're wrong on every single level here.  I honestly don't know what you think is going on in that patch.

Now, from reading right now there does appear to be one typo in the patch which is probably throwing errors: There's an extra 'MODULE {' (with a newline in between) in the first part, which is never closed so that's probably throwing issues.  The resource addons for the station power module probably don't work as well.  But there are no 'edit' lines in the entire patch - just 'add' lines.

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

But it doesn't change patched modules.  I don't know where you're thinking it does.  All it does - from reading it just now - is add modules and resources to the parts.  Technically, the order it's applied in doesn't matter at all - as long as the part exists in the KSP database, MM can make the additions the patch requests.

And even if it did your change is wrong.  You remove the conditional (the NEEDS), and put in a non-sensical ordering block ([KSO|USILifeSupport]).  If the order mattered, you'd want it to conditionally apply when USI-LS is installed, and after whatever patches where being applied.  Let's say that was in USI-LS - then you'd want something like :AFTER[USILifeSupport]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport].  Which would imply it was after KSO, since 'U' is after 'K' in the alphabet.

As far as I can tell, you're wrong on every single level here.  I honestly don't know what you think is going on in that patch.

I'm done. It does what I need it to do. It doesn't throw errors from MM. You don't want to understand or accept my logic, that's not my problem. (It's very obvious what my logic is and when I want the patch to load by the code.)

3 hours ago, DStaal said:

Now, from reading right now there does appear to be one typo in the patch which is probably throwing errors: There's an extra 'MODULE {' (with a newline in between) in the first part, which is never closed so that's probably throwing issues.  The resource addons for the station power module probably don't work as well.  But there are no 'edit' lines in the entire patch - just 'add' lines.

The resource addons for the station power module work just fine. I tested them before I passed them along. I use them with my USI game without any problems.

Look, just because I didn't do work for any major mods like you, doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm doing. I've been writing patches since 1.0.5 to add/alter functionality and resources to parts. If you want proof, check out what I did to the train wreck that was the dauntless. https://www.dropbox.com/s/frvz4ufewsb1tkk/dauntless_MM no booster stack.zip?dl=0 This file will only be up until tomorrow. You should have plenty of time to download it. Clear out all the other patches for the dauntless in the kso/config directory before using it. It includes all other updates that was given to me. Yes there are some problems with it. I'm going to address them once I get the gd thing to launch properly. (The reason why it's only the shuttle.)

2 hours ago, DiscoveryPlanet said:

@shdwlrd @DStaal right so what sould i do then ? replace the code or just ignore it?

Here's how I think the code should look.  It's pretty close to what's currently there:

@PART[KSO_Habitat]:FOR[KSO]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleLifeSupport]]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

//etc...

It should not be 'FOR[USILifeSupport]' - that's always been a bug.   And having two 'FOR' blocks has always been non-sensical, but will throw errors in the newest version of MM.  (Before it was silently ignored, with only the first being applied.)

You could drop the 'FOR[KSO]' if you wanted - it's not really doing anything, but on the other hand isn't causing harm and is technically correct.

And if you look at the file in question, you'll note I've removed two lines that didn't really do anything, and likely would cause syntax errors.

The rest of the parts don't have the 'FOR[KSO]' but do have the 'FOR[USILifeSupport]' which should be changed to 'NEEDS[USILifeSupport]'.  

You also have ReplacementParts being added into some of the parts - this was depreciated, but might be making a comeback.  So up to you whether you want to delete it or not.

@LIPLOOP  Hi and welcome to the forums!

When you unzip the files that are linked in the OP, you should have something that looks like this:

On the left is the zip file opened in Windows Explod..Explorer: (click the spoiler link)

Spoiler

j80fOkH.png

Then copy the KSO file (the one on the right side, it has been unzipped) into your gamedata folder.  The file structure should be:

"WhereverYouPutKerbalSpaceProgram"\KerbalSpaceProgram\GameData\KSO

Then download the community patches.  Open the zip file.  Copy and past that GameData folder into your main KerbalSpaceProgram folder.  If you're asked to overwrite something, do it.  

Profit!!

Edited by smotheredrun

• 5 weeks later...

I get that the dev patches KSP in the pursuit of perfecting the game.... but in the process of doing so they have killed many of the best mods available for KSP.

i remember the days when I could launch and recover without fail and actually have fun with the KSOS.... now it’s just futility. I hope the mod devs fix it but understand if they surrender to the relentless march of mod breaking updates.

• 3 weeks later...

@Nazari1382, @LawnDartLeo

I just did a quick zero payload launch and return with the Super 25.  Aside from some "texture load errors" being thrown with RPM (missing NavBall or something) and some errors about "additional passes" on a few of the patches, whatever that means, this buggy flies fairly well!  

NOTE:  IT IS VERY MUCH HANDS-ON FLYING DURING RE-ENTRY!!!!!!!!!

Turing down the reaction wheel authority in the R-click menu for the fuselage to about 65% or so seemed to help with control issues...

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

I wish the space center vehicles worked :( 

Press "S" once before placing the wheels. They suffer from the wheel rotation thing that happened between .90 and 1.0. Other than the sedans and rover colliders not working with kerbals, they are functional. (You can play bumper cars with them, but your kerbal will walk right through them.)

6 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

I wish the space center vehicles worked :( 

They unfortunately haven't worked since the Great Wheel Breakage of 1.1.3. :(

I will however say that THE KSO SUPER 25 (A.K.A. THE ASCENSION, A.K.A. EWBCL) ACTUALLY FLIES IN 1.3.1. !!!!!  The max payload so far to about 200km orbit is 10 tonnes.

I have still only manually flown it.  If someone wants to test out the community patches and follow the instructions posted on this page for installing them and the Super 25, please post your results (with or without MechJeb's help).

So far the 8 texture load errors haven't affected my flights.  If someone knows how to fix them, that would be swell!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.