[1.1.3] KSO (Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter) Legacy Packs & Development Updates

Nazari1382

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

Press "S" once before placing the wheels. They suffer from the wheel rotation thing that happened between .90 and 1.0. Other than the sedans and rover colliders not working with kerbals, they are functional. (You can play bumper cars with them, but your kerbal will walk right through them.)

Well, they slide everywhere... :/ 

17 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Well, they slide everywhere... :/ 

Try turning off the auto traction control and setting it to 3-4; and turn off the steering for the rear wheels. It will help out. You will still get some drifting, but even the stock wheels do that. 

Just now, shdwlrd said:

Try turning off the auto traction control and setting it to 3-4; and turn off the steering for the rear wheels. It will help out. You will still get some drifting, but even the stock wheels do that. 

Nope. I figured out a solution anyway. Tweakscale the stock wheels, brakes to full 200, TC to half. Perfect sedan. Will come in handy for my next video series. :wink: 

1 minute ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Nope. I figured out a solution anyway. Tweakscale the stock wheels, brakes to full 200, TC to half. Perfect sedan. Will come in handy for my next video series. :wink: 

As long as it works, right? :) 

On 4/1/2018 at 9:31 AM, smotheredrun said:

@Damaske Do the Advanced Solar Panels (the large gold ones) still randomly break or disappear over time for you?  They did for me....

I've not had that happen just yet, but i have not really played much since testing them out. I'll look out for that to see if that happens more. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Nazari1382 ,  @BlaZe119, @panarchist, @Capt. Hunt, @shdwlrd and pretty much all others :)

Thanks to some help in (no particular order) from @blowfish, @DStaal, and @Apaseall we now can have zero Module Manager errors upon KSP start up.  

Here are the updated MM configs for the KSO Community Patches, nothing else has changed.  The updated patches address some syntax issues relating to parts from both Orbiters.  I don't believe there were any MM errors with the station parts, but I've been wrong before - let me know if there are!

There is a "Quick Update Instructions - Read Please" file included in the archive.  Please read that before doing anything with the GameData folder.  I've also included a ChangeLog for 1.3.1 file in the KSO/Configs folder.  Please have a look at that and let me know if anything should be addressed.

I have been using the Super 25 in 1.3.1, in both clean and modded installs.  So far no problems. 

(Still haven't solved the "texture load error" regarding the "blank0.dds" file that gets thrown in the KSP log on start up.)

Thanks and again, let me know if there is something that needs attention regarding the configs and I'll see what I can do.

EDIT:  I saw that there was one file that still was throwing an error.  I have fixed it.  Restored the link.

Edited by smotheredrun
Removed link because I goofed on one patch. Hold on..

awesome, I was wondering if you got this working again.  Does it have any issues in 1.4.2?

Edit: I checked it in 1.4.2, it works, but it does suffer from the same annoying RCS bug that everything else had when 1.4.1 was released.  From what I've heard there's an easy fix to that.  Also, I'm not sure if this is a Smokescreen issue or a KSO issue, but I'm not seeing any rocket plumes

Edited by Capt. Hunt

23 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

awesome, I was wondering if you got this working again.  Does it have any issues in 1.4.2?

Edit: I checked it in 1.4.2, it works, but it does suffer from the same annoying RCS bug that everything else had when 1.4.1 was released.  From what I've heard there's an easy fix to that.  Also, I'm not sure if this is a Smokescreen issue or a KSO issue, but I'm not seeing any rocket plumes

hmm...  Haven't tried it in 1.4.x yet.  Just did a quick forum search for smokescreen and saw your post.  I'm wondering if it's just simple renaming of the model names?

erm nope..?  Here is what I have in the "Engines_with_comment.cfg", located in the KSO/Configs/Patches - Super 25 folder:

Spoiler

// Low atmosphere exhaust expansion effect
@EFFECTS
    {
        @powerflame
        {
            @MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST,*
            {
                %logGrow
                {
                    density = 0 8
                    density = 1 0.7
                    density = 10 0
                }
            }
        }
        @powersmoke
        {
            @MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST,*
            {
                %logGrow
                {
                    density = 0 8
                    density = 1 0.7
                    density = 10 0
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

Now in the KSO/Parts folder, the "omskso.cfg" has this in the "EFFECTS" section of the config:

Spoiler

powerflame
        {
            MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST
            {
                name = flamethrust
                modelName = KSO/FX/omslow
                transformName = smokePoint
                emission = 0.0 0.0
                emission = 0.05 0.99
                emission = 0.75 1.21
                emission = 1.0 1.25
                speed = 0.0 1.70
                speed = 1.0 1.65
                energy = 0.0 0.33 // Same for energy
                energy = 1.0 0.99 // Same for energy
                fixedEmissions = false
            }
            AUDIO
            {
                channel = Ship
                clip = sound_rocket_hard
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = 1.0 1.0
                pitch = 0.0 0.2
                pitch = 1.0 1.0
                loop = true
            }
        }

As you see, "MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST" is in the omskso config.  Does the patch "Engines_with_comments" not tell KSP to use smokescreen instead?  Or am I waaaayyy out in left field here?  (This is a whole new thing for me.. used to music and power tools :) )

EDIT:  "MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST" is also in the part configs "super25enginekso" and "super25boosterkso"

EDIT EDIT:

Have you tried Real Plume yet?  Does it overwrite anything that Smokescreen would do?

Edited by smotheredrun
Stuff!

I was just about to find out.  I hadn't gotten around to trying the Super25 yet, so it's possible that it already works.  I'm no coding expert either, but from what I can tell that might only change the Super25 plumes.

I also think I've got the fix for the RCS:

Edit: ok, so before instituting Sarbian's fix on the super, it still doesn't have plumes, so that's not what that script does.

The fix does seem to be working on the KSO though.  As does the RCS fix.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

@Capt. Hunt Here's the fix I'm using for the Super25.

-MODULE[ModuleRCS]
	{
	}

EFFECTS
	{
	running
	{
	AUDIO_MULTI_POOL
	{
	channel = Ship
	transformName = RCSthruster
	clip = sound_rocket_mini
	volume = 0.0 0.0
	volume = 0.1 0.0
	volume = 0.5 0.025
	volume = 1.0 0.1
	pitch = 0.0 0.75
	pitch = 1.0 1.5
	loop = true
	}
	MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
	{
	modelName = Squad/FX/Monoprop_small
	emission = 0.0 0.0
	emission = 0.1 0.0
	emission = 1.0 1.0
	speed = 0.0 0.8
	speed = 1.0 1.0
	localRotation = -90, 0, 0
	}
	}
	}

MODULE
	{
	name = ModuleRCSFX
	stagingEnabled = False
	thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster
	thrusterPower = 1
	resourceName = MonoPropellant
	resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
	runningEffectName = running
	atmosphereCurve
	{
	key = 0 240
	key = 1 100
	key = 4 0.001
	}
	}

All this was fixed in my rejected patches for KSO... :mad:

Edited by shdwlrd

ok, so I am having trouble getting the super25 to launch with Gravity Turn or Mechjeb.  MJ immediately flies it into the ground after liftoff.  GT gets to the end AP hold time and then flips out and goes into an irrecoverable tumble, no matter what I set it to.

3 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

ok, so I am having trouble getting the super25 to launch with Gravity Turn or Mechjeb.  MJ immediately flies it into the ground after liftoff.  GT gets to the end AP hold time and then flips out and goes into an irrecoverable tumble, no matter what I set it to.

hmmmm...  Still working up the courage to update to 1.4.x.  Going to wait until 1.4.3 comes out to be honest.  Buuuuttt....  I'll have some time (maybe) this weekend to do an update for a test save.  If I can, I'll look at it.  Never really flew with either Autopilot though.  I've used Mechjeb just for the readouts.

That said, let's start with Mechjeb:

When setting up an ascent profile, how does MJ deal with the throttles?  Does (or can) it throttle down at a certain point?  I ask as I typically have to drop the throttles to about 1/3 shortly after booster separation, just to keep the crazy reaction wheels from flinging the shuttle around like a rag doll

On 4/16/2018 at 8:17 PM, shdwlrd said:

@Capt. Hunt Here's the fix I'm using for the Super25.

-MODULE[ModuleRCS]
	{
	}

EFFECTS
	{
	running
	{
	AUDIO_MULTI_POOL
	{
	channel = Ship
	clip = sound_rocket_mini
	volume = 0.0 0.0
	volume = 0.1 0.0
	volume = 0.5 0.025
	volume = 1.0 0.1
	pitch = 0.0 0.75
	pitch = 1.0 1.5
	loop = true
	}
	MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
	{
	modelName = Squad/FX/Monoprop_small
	emission = 0.0 0.0
	emission = 0.1 0.0
	emission = 1.0 1.0
	speed = 0.0 0.8
	speed = 1.0 1.0
	localRotation = -90, 0, 0
	}
	}
	}

MODULE
	{
	name = ModuleRCSFX
	stagingEnabled = False
	thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster
	thrusterPower = 1
	resourceName = MonoPropellant
	resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
	runningEffectName = running
	atmosphereCurve
	{
	key = 0 240
	key = 1 100
	key = 4 0.001
	}
	}

All this was fixed in my rejected patches for KSO... :mad:

That fix, which config are you dropping it into?

14 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

You can use it for all instances of moduleRCS. They should be in the KSO25_cabin and super25nose sections in the patches for the super25. In all honesty, I'm using my patches. I don't know which community patches to apply it to. If none of the patches used :Final, I'd write a quick patch for you.

Edited by shdwlrd

24 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

When setting up an ascent profile, how does MJ deal with the throttles?  Does (or can) it throttle down at a certain point?

It can't unless you script it. The problem with MJ is it can't handle the sudden center of thrust shift. Also, reduce the roll settings for the RX wheels about 60%, and turn off the roll gimbles for the SSME's and boosters that will help with the roll issues. You may have to fuss with the control surfaces too.

Edited by shdwlrd

1 hour ago, smotheredrun said:

hmmmm...  Still working up the courage to update to 1.4.x.  Going to wait until 1.4.3 comes out to be honest.  Buuuuttt....  I'll have some time (maybe) this weekend to do an update for a test save.  If I can, I'll look at it.  Never really flew with either Autopilot though.  I've used Mechjeb just for the readouts.

That said, let's start with Mechjeb:

When setting up an ascent profile, how does MJ deal with the throttles?  Does (or can) it throttle down at a certain point?  I ask as I typically have to drop the throttles to about 1/3 shortly after booster separation, just to keep the crazy reaction wheels from flinging the shuttle around like a rag doll

MJ does throttle back automatically if you set it not to exceed certain conditions, such as a certain Max-Q, engine temperature or acceleration, and you can set a minimum throttle level.  GT has similar functions, and also will reduce throttle to hold a set time to apokee.

BTW: @shdwlrd , the Super25's rudders also have RCS.  Also, each of the RCS thrusters on the Super25 are tuned, when you replace ModuleRCS, make sure to check the ThrusterPower line.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

24 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Also, each of the RCS thrusters on the Super25 are tuned, when you replace ModuleRCS, make sure to check the ThrusterPower line.

That explains some of the oddities with transitions I've been seeing. I didn't notice that. Just finished updating my patches. Thanks again. :) 

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

You can use it for all instances of moduleRCS. They should be in the KSO25_cabin and super25nose sections in the patches for the super25. In all honesty, I'm using my patches. I don't know which community patches to apply it to. If none of the patches used :Final, I'd write a quick patch for you.

Ah, Ok.  What I'm thinking is that I'll load the comm patches into 1.4.x and try them out this weekend.  To keep everything organized, I'll make a new archive of patches (copy paste) for 1.4.  The RCS fixes can go right into the new archive, and I think I know which file, but I'll need to test it.  Can you also send me what you have for your patches?  I want to take a look again at whatever your most recent changes are.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.