[1.1.3] KSO (Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter) Legacy Packs & Development Updates

Nazari1382

@Eskandare, glad you're taking this up!  As @shdwlrd mentioned, I do have a pack of patches sitting around somewhere; the caveat being that they're for 1.3.1... maybe even 1.2.2 - not sure.  It's been so long since I've had time to play KSP, let alone tinker with the Super-25.  The Dauntless (aka the Mini or whatever) has been so far on the back burner (never really used it, except for the odd story I never finished writing or video-ing) that I think the patches I have are for 1.2.2.  

Regarding Firespitter, per some discussion with Nazari1382, many if not all of the functioning switches and knobs in the flight decks/cabins of the different shuttles (maybe the station parts too?) are linked with Firespitter.  To remove a Firespitter dependancy sounds like it would require a major re-kerjiggering of the flight decks/command capsules.  For now, that type of work is well beyond my capabilities.

Regarding the station parts, the only issue I personally had was the Advanced Large Solar Panels sometimes having the panel simply disappear after a while, with no observed damage to them.  Sometimes they'd disappear after a few scene changes/vessel switching, or sometimes they'd disappear over time while on Time Warp.  

FYI, there has been nothing done with the ground vehicles since the Great Wheel Breakage of 1.1.3 or something.  Wouldn't be surprised if using the vehicle wheels sends a user out to Jool or explodes the runway.

If you want anything that's not already posted as an update by @Nazari1382 in the OP, please let me know.

TBH, the biggest reason I haven't had any time for KSP is that what spare time I do have has been consumed with camping with the munchkin, building some equipment cases (and flying around in FSX Steam with my recently purchased 737NGX...)  Yeah.. I fell for the buy the upgraded stuff instead of using the free stuff... sigh.... What's that saying?  Oh yeah: "A fool and his money are soon parted".  Well, at least I enjoy flying the thing :)

3 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

@Eskandare, glad you're taking this up!  As @shdwlrd mentioned, I do have a pack of patches sitting around somewhere; the caveat being that they're for 1.3.1... maybe even 1.2.2 - not sure.  It's been so long since I've had time to play KSP, let alone tinker with the Super-25.  The Dauntless (aka the Mini or whatever) has been so far on the back burner (never really used it, except for the odd story I never finished writing or video-ing) that I think the patches I have are for 1.2.2.  

Regarding Firespitter, per some discussion with Nazari1382, many if not all of the functioning switches and knobs in the flight decks/cabins of the different shuttles (maybe the station parts too?) are linked with Firespitter.  To remove a Firespitter dependancy sounds like it would require a major re-kerjiggering of the flight decks/command capsules.  For now, that type of work is well beyond my capabilities.

Regarding the station parts, the only issue I personally had was the Advanced Large Solar Panels sometimes having the panel simply disappear after a while, with no observed damage to them.  Sometimes they'd disappear after a few scene changes/vessel switching, or sometimes they'd disappear over time while on Time Warp.  

FYI, there has been nothing done with the ground vehicles since the Great Wheel Breakage of 1.1.3 or something.  Wouldn't be surprised if using the vehicle wheels sends a user out to Jool or explodes the runway.

If you want anything that's not already posted as an update by @Nazari1382 in the OP, please let me know.

TBH, the biggest reason I haven't had any time for KSP is that what spare time I do have has been consumed with camping with the munchkin, building some equipment cases (and flying around in FSX Steam with my recently purchased 737NGX...)  Yeah.. I fell for the buy the upgraded stuff instead of using the free stuff... sigh.... What's that saying?  Oh yeah: "A fool and his money are soon parted".  Well, at least I enjoy flying the thing :)

I believe the switches and knobs are handled by RPM not FS, to my knowledge there is no module in FS that does that. The switches and knobs are animations that are handled by settings in the IVA JSI config.

I'll check the station panels, if anything I'll have to take the *.mu apart and recompile it.

The Wheels are something I'm going to look into, I may use KSPWheel instead because I can adapt old wheel assemblies to KSPWheel and give the vehicles advanced handling.

Edited by Eskandare

On 9/21/2018 at 2:30 AM, Eskandare said:

I believe the switches and knobs are handled by RPM not FS, to my knowledge there is no module in FS that does that. The switches and knobs are animations that are handled by settings in the IVA JSI config.

Hm,  I'll dig through my conversations with Nazari to check exactly which if any were connected with FS.  I'll PM you when I'm done

19 minutes ago, SouthPhilly said:

Just getting back into KSP after about a year away... This was one of the first mods I went looking for.... Was sad to see it not working. 

Now I'm looking forward to having it back!

Thank You @Eskandare for taking this mod on!:wub:

No problem, it's one of my favorite mods too. I figured it needed an update.

@Eskandare

Firespitter is needed for some of the more minor things in the IVA like the control sticks.  I am not exactly sure how they're integrated with FS, but that was the word from Nazari.  I don't even know where to look for solutions, or even where they're tied in with FS, i.e. part of a config, or part of the actual 3d model

On 9/30/2018 at 2:51 PM, rib3irojr said:

Hi, will have update to 1.3.1?

Nope, sorry.

1 hour ago, smotheredrun said:

@Eskandare

Firespitter is needed for some of the more minor things in the IVA like the control sticks.  I am not exactly sure how they're integrated with FS, but that was the word from Nazari.  I don't even know where to look for solutions, or even where they're tied in with FS, i.e. part of a config, or part of the actual 3d model

Well, FS is a shadow of it's former self. The grand majority of the modding community is moving away from FS. I'll keep FS for the IVA parts until there is a replacement. @Angel-125's WBI will be used for the Helicopter. I'll consult the group for a solution 

Edited by Eskandare

On 9/30/2018 at 2:51 PM, rib3irojr said:

Hi, will have update to 1.3.1?

Actually I spoke too soon. I do test in 1.3.1 and 1.4.5 so a 1.3.1 version is possible. It all depends on the dependencies available. As of recent news I'll have to teat in 1.5 

Edited by Eskandare

16 hours ago, Eskandare said:

Actually I spoke too soon. I do test in 1.3.1 and 1.4.5 so a 1.3.1 version is possible. It all depends on the dependencies available. As of recent news I'll have to teat in 1.5 

I tested the current version in 1.3.1 and it seems that it has problems of aerodynamics, already in version 1.4.3 it worked correctly, I believe that from version 1.1.3 to version 1.3.1 there were modifications in the aerodynamics. Right?

20 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

I know you have some restrictions on what you can and can't do. Is doing an art pass on the iva textures out of bounds?

Art passes are a no, sorry. I'm only updating for comparability and usability of the mod. Art passes are @helldiver's as it is still technically his mod and his art. Although, I am adding a few things, mainly to support the comparability and add a little polish. 

Edited by Eskandare

2 minutes ago, Eskandare said:

Art passes are a no, sorry. I'm only updating for comparability and usability of the mod. Art passes are @helldiver's as it is still technically his mod and his art. 

Thought as much, figured I would ask anyway. :) With the helicopter, are you planning on using Angel-125's thrust centering from his KFS mod?

29 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Thought as much, figured I would ask anyway. :) With the helicopter, are you planning on using Angel-125's thrust centering from his KFS mod?

Yes, he also wrote tail rotor code too.

Edited by Eskandare

On 10/2/2018 at 4:03 PM, rib3irojr said:

I tested the current version in 1.3.1 and it seems that it has problems of aerodynamics, already in version 1.4.3 it worked correctly, I believe that from version 1.1.3 to version 1.3.1 there were modifications in the aerodynamics. Right?

Yay! for the testing!  The EWBCL (aka Super 25 aka Ascension aka the big one) does "fly" in 1.3.1, at least if you use the community patches (found in the OP). 

Aerodynamics changed a lot*, but between 1.2.x and 1.3.x the reaction wheels went bonkers.  I ended up turning the sensitivity down to about 35% or something for roll control.  Pitch and Yaw simply went out to lunch, but they brought back Snacks! and they're somewhat manageable now.

* Understatement of the century, like saying the Black Plague was a minor discomfort

20 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

Yay! for the testing!  The EWBCL (aka Super 25 aka Ascension aka the big one) does "fly" in 1.3.1, at least if you use the community patches (found in the OP). 

Aerodynamics changed a lot*, but between 1.2.x and 1.3.x the reaction wheels went bonkers.  I ended up turning the sensitivity down to about 35% or something for roll control.  Pitch and Yaw simply went out to lunch, but they brought back Snacks! and they're somewhat manageable now.

* Understatement of the century, like saying the Black Plague was a minor discomfort

Ohh, okay, I'll try.

20 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

The aero changes wasn't that bad. What killed the shuttle's handling was the changes to the rx wheels and the addition of drag cubes.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a little something that is going into Kerbin Side Remastered.

kZLUd9O.png

I'll be unveiling KSO a little after the Kandenberg update.  KLC-6 is designed with KSO in mind as well as the regular MK3 Shuttle.

Edited by Eskandare

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've been getting back into KSP lately, and I'm a little sad there's no recent version of this mod.

Any ETA on when we'll get a working version for 1.5/1/4/literally whatever? This was an old favorite that I sorely miss.

Edited by Madman_Andre

21 hours ago, Madman_Andre said:

Well, I've been getting back into KSP lately, and I'm a little sad there's no recent version of this mod.

Any ETA on when we'll get a working version for 1.5/1/4/literally whatever? This was an old favorite that I sorely miss.

Maybe? Given the scope of this mod it would be hard to kinda bring everything up to date and figure everything out.

Just be patient, a certain Gaming Guru of Linux might hear your prayers, given he hasn't stressed himself out having to keep 40 billion different mods updated.

@Madman_Andre @Vahnskir Eskandare has already taken over this mod. If you look above Madman_Andre's comment, 

On 10/17/2018 at 11:21 AM, Eskandare said:

Here is a little something that is going into Kerbin Side Remastered.

kZLUd9O.png

I'll be unveiling KSO a little after the Kandenberg update.  KLC-6 is designed with KSO in mind as well as the regular MK3 Shuttle.

Just be patient. It does no good to ask for an ETA, and in face there is a sticky'd post regarding poking modders on ETAs. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.