[1.1.3] KSO (Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter) Legacy Packs & Development Updates

Nazari1382

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been making some adjustments to the mod files for my personal use, and I figured out some info that may be useful to those of you still running a KSO install.

If anyone is using the old community patch and wants to get the engine FX working again, there's an easy fix. Open all of the KSO engine configuration files and change

MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST

to

MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST

and the engine fx should be working next time you fire up the game.

4 hours ago, jadebenn said:

I've been making some adjustments to the mod files for my personal use, and I figured out some info that may be useful to those of you still running a KSO install.

If anyone is using the old community patch and wants to get the engine FX working again, there's an easy fix. Open all of the KSO engine configuration files and change

MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST

to

MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST

and the engine fx should be working next time you fire up the game.

Does that work to get the mod running on 1.7?

16 hours ago, CosmicDreams said:

Does that work to get the mod running on 1.7?

It's going to take a bit more than that. It fixes the particle fx for the engines and boosters. It doesn't address the balance issues the shuttles have and a few other technical issues that have popped up when 1.0 was released.

Here are a few technical patches I use for the Super25. The patches work as of 1.4.X. (They still should work now since nothing has changed much.) I've patched it to remove the reliance on FireSpitter, you can still use FSanimateGeneric and FSairBrake if you like. The Dauntless is a different story, it will require so many balance changes you're better off waiting for Eskandare to release it.

To get the lights working:Remove the other animation module and add the following to the cabin.
	MODULE
	{
	name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
	animationName = superlights
	actionGUIName = Toggle Lights
	defaultActionGroup = Light
	startEventGUIName = Lights On
	endEventGUIName = Lights Off
	}

To fix the cargo bay transparancy:
	@MODULE[ModuleSeeThroughObject],0
	{
	@leadModuleIndex = 3 // 10
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleSeeThroughObject],1
	{
	@leadModuleIndex = 4 // 11
	}

To get the airbrakes and flaps working for the control surfaces: Remove the other animation module and replace with the following
	MODULE
	{
	name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
	animationName = Take002
	startEventGUIName = Extend Flaps
	endEventGUIName = Retract Flaps
	toggleActionName = Toggle Flap Extension
	}

MODULE //works fine in both 1.22-1.4.x
	{
	name = ModuleControlSurface
	dragCoeff = 0.6
	deflectionLiftCoeff = 4.9
	ctrlSurfaceRange = 17.5
	ctrlSurfaceArea = 0.8
	transformName = flapsrf
	ignoreYaw = true
	ignoreRoll = true
	}

MODULE
	{
	name = ModuleAeroSurface
	useInternalDragModel = True
	dragCoeff = 0.15
	deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.095
	ctrlSurfaceRange = 65
	ctrlRangeFactor = 0.2
	ctrlSurfaceArea = .25
	actuatorSpeed = 20
	transformName = spoilersmall
	defaultActionGroup = Brakes
	liftingSurfaceCurve = SpeedBrake
	ignorePitch = true
	ignoreYaw = true
	ignoreRoll = true
	}

MODULE
	{
	name = ModuleAeroSurface
	useInternalDragModel = True
	dragCoeff = 0.6
	deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.38
	ctrlSurfaceRange = 65
	ctrlRangeFactor = 0.2
	ctrlSurfaceArea = 1
	actuatorSpeed = 20
	transformName = spoilerlarge
	defaultActionGroup = Brakes
	liftingSurfaceCurve = SpeedBrake
	ignorePitch = true
	ignoreYaw = true
	ignoreRoll = true
	}

To get rid of that annoying wheel bogey error: Add to the main gears
	@MODULE[ModuleWheelBogey]
	{
	@baseModuleIndex = 0
	@deployModuleIndex = 3
	}

Edited by shdwlrd
adding a few custom patches

Well i tried playing with the mod and it seems to work fine outside of major control issues.

I haven't tried the Super 25 yet but the Dauntless can barely turn and the reaction wheels basically do nothing.

The launcher is also very...wobbly as well as just being very hard to maneuver(I could barely perform an accent to a suborbital trajectory let alone an orbital one...)

14 hours ago, CosmicDreams said:

Well i tried playing with the mod and it seems to work fine outside of major control issues.

I haven't tried the Super 25 yet but the Dauntless can barely turn and the reaction wheels basically do nothing.

The launcher is also very...wobbly as well as just being very hard to maneuver(I could barely perform an accent to a suborbital trajectory let alone an orbital one...)

That's the major problem with the Dauntless. The parts work fine (mostly), but it's barely controllable. The flight control setup was made for pre 1.0 and was never truly corrected for the new aerodynamic model for KSP after 1.0.5. (I don't call a series of MM patches a true correction for the problems.)

The list of flight control problems is a long one, but none of it is unsolvable. I was able to get the Dauntless to fly well (some would say too well.) But the patches were rejected by the previous maintainer. Right now I'm just waiting for Eskandare to release a version with the needed custom drag cubes before I touch KSO again.

• 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, Phoenix13 said:

hello to all this mod works and if so or download it again, thank you in advance

Define 'works'.  The parts should all load into the game without issue - however their balance points and lift centers are off, so making a flying shuttle with them is extremely difficult.

(And why are you using a different font than normal?)

The "Stations" part of the mod works perfectly fine in all versions of KSP from 1.05 - 1.7.3. Ground equipment I think is still broken outright and has been since 1.2 or so. As mentioned above, the orbiters still work with updated dependencies, but with major control issues that aren't easy to fix. They've been partially addressed in the custom config files that @Eskandare and others have worked on over the last 12-18 months, but those fixes all work only for certain loadouts and can vary widely when the CoG changes due to cargo in the cargo bay or other factors.

The main problem right now is that the people with the desire to fix it is a very small group, and the subset with the skills to ACTUALLY fix it is VERY small. And all of them have lives that pull away a lot or sometimes all of their available KSP time. I've been involved periodically as a tester of some of those configs, and I "wrote" a few of the MM patches for the recent distributions of this mod - all of those are either out of date, don't work with the new MM, have errors, or are unbalanced. (and as such, I recommend you not use the CLS or USI patches in this mod if they have "panarchist" in them. I've gotten better at writing them, but these have not been "fixed")

Personally, I'm currently just using the space station parts, for "Russian" space stations (plus I love love LOVE the work tug!) Otherwise I am likewise waiting to see if any movement happens on this or the follow-on project that Helldiver and Nazari had planned.

5 hours ago, panarchist said:

The "Stations" part of the mod works perfectly fine in all versions of KSP from 1.05 - 1.7.3. Ground equipment I think is still broken outright and has been since 1.2 or so. As mentioned above, the orbiters still work with updated dependencies, but with major control issues that aren't easy to fix. They've been partially addressed in the custom config files that @Eskandare and others have worked on over the last 12-18 months, but those fixes all work only for certain loadouts and can vary widely when the CoG changes due to cargo in the cargo bay or other factors.

The main problem right now is that the people with the desire to fix it is a very small group, and the subset with the skills to ACTUALLY fix it is VERY small. And all of them have lives that pull away a lot or sometimes all of their available KSP time. I've been involved periodically as a tester of some of those configs, and I "wrote" a few of the MM patches for the recent distributions of this mod - all of those are either out of date, don't work with the new MM, have errors, or are unbalanced. (and as such, I recommend you not use the CLS or USI patches in this mod if they have "panarchist" in them. I've gotten better at writing them, but these have not been "fixed")

Personally, I'm currently just using the space station parts, for "Russian" space stations (plus I love love LOVE the work tug!) Otherwise I am likewise waiting to see if any movement happens on this or the follow-on project that Helldiver and Nazari had planned.

I'll be shifting the COM to the cargo bay and adjust the COM of the tanks and boosters so the COM lines up. the COL will have some tweaks too so that the COM and COL line up as per standard aeronautic weight and balance. I'm still working on it around my other projects. I hope to get everything done in the next few months. I know it's been a while, but one has real life to deal with too.

5 hours ago, Eskandare said:

I'll be shifting the COM to the cargo bay and adjust the COM of the tanks and boosters so the COM lines up. the COL will have some tweaks too so that the COM and COL line up as per standard aeronautic weight and balance. I'm still working on it around my other projects. I hope to get everything done in the next few months. I know it's been a while, but one has real life to deal with too.

Thanks for the update! Despite other, better and/or more accurate shuttle mods that have been released since KSO went legacy, this is still the one that feels the most Kerbal. ;)

Hey. I remember playing with these parts back in the day.

Just wanted to say that it would be cool if someone released standalone pack of station parts scaled up to 2 or even 3 meters. Current 1.25m are bit too small for station parts, kerbal can baerly fit in :)

30 minutes ago, pirx8 said:

Hey. I remember playing with these parts back in the day.

Just wanted to say that it would be cool if someone released standalone pack of station parts scaled up to 2 or even 3 meters. Current 1.25m are bit too small for station parts, kerbal can baerly fit in :)

? then just download the station parts and not all of them did you see on first page 

Space Station mod files: http://spacedock.info/mod/241/KSOS:%20Space%20Station

and alittle edit or MM patch would fix the size

19 hours ago, Phoenix13 said:

thank you all for your answers.
I still have the same problem no flame on booster or shuttle engines. pity 
I liked this mod but I can not find any solutions to my problem

Did you install smokescreen ? https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/64987-17x-smokescreen-285-extended-fx-plugin-july-25th-2019/

On 8/4/2019 at 10:41 PM, Mecripp said:

22 hours ago, Phoenix13 said:

Yes it is.

If I remember right, smokescreen changed the name for the fx module after the patches were written. I don't remember the module name off the top of my head. I know it's mentioned in the smokescreen thread.

Other options to get the flame fx working is to install real plume, or change the old smokescreen module to the stock squad module.

Edited by shdwlrd

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.