[1.1.3] KSO (Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter) Legacy Packs & Development Updates

Nazari1382

9 minutes ago, TimothyC said:

For some reason, the IVAs on the station parts are non-existent for me - that is, they are completely transparent (I can see the outside from the inside).

The Orbiter IVAs are working perfectly however.

check the download on spacedock again in a few

11 hours ago, mostlydave said:

I've got both shuttles and the station pack installed and it's working great for me

15 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

This sounds like a computer issue. I am unable to reproduce the issue you describe.

*UPDATE*  Only lags after re-entry, so most likely a RAM leak. :confused:

Edited by Noah_Blade
Grammar Police showed up.

18 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Turn off the heat indicators. F11 and F12 should be the hotkeys if you didn't change them.

I might have not explained that well, I have extreme lag in atmos but only in vessel view map view has no framerate issues

That's a lot of dependencies...all of which I already had, but still!:o Hah, anyway.

The shuttle looks great, really like the look and size of it. I like that the engines have trim. Only real complaint is that it might be a little too prefabricated (not enough modular pieces), but overall it's pretty solid. Well done. (Haven't launched it yet).

Rovers and such: I'm having some issues with the wheels. Not sure if it's a me or you issue, since I have the Joint Reinforcement mod installed, and that's been known in the past to make my rovers not driveable. Initially, it was an issue of my wheels not being on right, but after playing on with for a good 30 minutes, I'm pretty confident I got them pointing in the right direction (how hard can it be I mean?). Of the parts I've unlocked in career mode, there is a nice selection. Oddly enough, I'm most impressed by the attention to detail on the motors/rotors and chasises...chasisi...undercarriages and such of the vehicles. They're really well done. I've only really examined the Rover Mk2 up close, and the texturing seemed a little blurry and low-res (although I do have my textures down a notch so that might be it), and the attention to detail didn't compare to the rest of the pack. Still, a good selection, however, my guess is that I can't use any of the wheels on any rovers that they weren't specifically built for, which would be a shame.

Pretty sure I already have the other two mods, but I haven't unlocked any parts for them yet (or if so, they blend in with the other ones). I'm downloading them again just to be sure!

Overall, I'm impressed. My major concern, as mentioned, is that they seem to make fantastic setpieces - prefabricated, "these pieces work wonderful together" works of art - that then don't work well with anything else. But again, I'm not that far along in my career game, so I'm withholding final judgment.

Cheers, and keep up the good work.

12 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

That's a lot of dependencies...all of which I already had, but still!:o Hah, anyway.

The shuttle looks great, really like the look and size of it. I like that the engines have trim. Only real complaint is that it might be a little too prefabricated (not enough modular pieces), but overall it's pretty solid. Well done. (Haven't launched it yet).

Rovers and such: I'm having some issues with the wheels. Not sure if it's a me or you issue, since I have the Joint Reinforcement mod installed, and that's been known in the past to make my rovers not driveable. Initially, it was an issue of my wheels not being on right, but after playing on with for a good 30 minutes, I'm pretty confident I got them pointing in the right direction (how hard can it be I mean?). Of the parts I've unlocked in career mode, there is a nice selection. Oddly enough, I'm most impressed by the attention to detail on the motors/rotors and chasises...chasisi...undercarriages and such of the vehicles. They're really well done. I've only really examined the Rover Mk2 up close, and the texturing seemed a little blurry and low-res (although I do have my textures down a notch so that might be it), and the attention to detail didn't compare to the rest of the pack. Still, a good selection, however, my guess is that I can't use any of the wheels on any rovers that they weren't specifically built for, which would be a shame.

Pretty sure I already have the other two mods, but I haven't unlocked any parts for them yet (or if so, they blend in with the other ones). I'm downloading them again just to be sure!

Overall, I'm impressed. My major concern, as mentioned, is that they seem to make fantastic setpieces - prefabricated, "these pieces work wonderful together" works of art - that then don't work well with anything else. But again, I'm not that far along in my career game, so I'm withholding final judgment.

Cheers, and keep up the good work.

It should be stated, that the whole point of the shuttle is to provide a prebuilt solution that allows for the easy deployment of payloads to orbit, and a (relatively) easy return to Kerbin. The Super 25 is capable of carrying most 2.5 meter parts of reasonable length to orbit, not just the KSOS station pieces. The original KSO, was less capable of carrying most parts, but was still capable of it.

The rover wheels are only meant for use with the specific vehicles they were designed for. (Truck wheels for the truck/bus, sedan wheel for the sedan and rover wheel for the rover.) That phase of the KSOS was meant to provide more avenues of gameplay around KSC. To place the wheels on their chassis the arrows on the inner side of the wheel should be pointed down, toward the ground.

With your textures at half res, the KSOS textures will seem blurry, thats just the hazards of running at half-res textures with detailed textures.

38 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

Oddly enough, I'm most impressed by the attention to detail on the motors/rotors and chasises...chasisi...undercarriages and such of the vehicles. They're really well done. I've only really examined the Rover Mk2 up close, and the texturing seemed a little blurry and low-res (although I do have my textures down a notch so that might be it), and the attention to detail didn't compare to the rest of the pack. Still, a good selection, however, my guess is that I can't use any of the wheels on any rovers that they weren't specifically built for, which would be a shame.

Thanks for your feedback - we have had feedback about the parts not being very modular since we released the first version, but the mod's target audience has always been people who wanted to be able to fly a shuttle in KSP without pulling their hair out trying to do it. The first shuttle was released when there were no actual shuttle parts in the game, only the oddly shaped original Mk3 parts, and  now there are even more nice part packs for making spaceplanes with modular parts. If there are specific parts you would really like to use in more ways, it's not that difficult to write a modulemanager patch to move nodes or enable surface attachment for your own use. If you feel attention to detail is a strong point of the mod now, wait until you see what is coming for the next version of the game. :0.0:

Edited by Nazari1382

3 minutes ago, Nazari1382 said:

The first shuttle was released when there were no actual shuttle parts in the game, only the oddly shaped original Mk3 parts, 

Oh man, those parts... I remember those parts... they were so... ugly.

And Nazari speaks the truth... Ive only seen one small part of what comes next. But what comes next will be absolutely glorious.

1 hour ago, Avalon304 said:

It should be stated, that the whole point of the shuttle is to provide a prebuilt solution that allows for the easy deployment of payloads to orbit, and a (relatively) easy return to Kerbin. The Super 25 is capable of carrying most 2.5 meter parts of reasonable length to orbit, not just the KSOS station pieces. The original KSO, was less capable of carrying most parts, but was still capable of it.

The rover wheels are only meant for use with the specific vehicles they were designed for. (Truck wheels for the truck/bus, sedan wheel for the sedan and rover wheel for the rover.) That phase of the KSOS was meant to provide more avenues of gameplay around KSC. To place the wheels on their chassis the arrows on the inner side of the wheel should be pointed down, toward the ground.

With your textures at half res, the KSOS textures will seem blurry, thats just the hazards of running at half-res textures with detailed textures.

58 minutes ago, Nazari1382 said:

Thanks for your feedback - we have had feedback about the parts not being very modular since we released the first version, but the mod's target audience has always been people who wanted to be able to fly a shuttle in KSP without pulling their hair out trying to do it. The first shuttle was released when there were no actual shuttle parts in the game, only the oddly shaped original Mk3 parts, and  now there are even more nice part packs for making spaceplanes with modular parts. If there are specific parts you would really like to use in more ways, it's not that difficult to write a modulemanager patch to move nodes or enable surface attachment for your own use. If you feel attention to detail is a strong point of the mod now, wait until you see what is coming for the next version of the game. :0.0:

Fair points. Interestingly enough, your shuttle inspired me to build my own (first thing I've built that wasn't just a tube with a fuel tank) and showed it off to a couple of friends side by side with your's and they hands down all preferred your's, so what do I know, heh:D.

Quick question: does the shuttle have built in heat shielding? I'm playing with Deadly Re-Entry and that might be relevant...

Cheers.

8 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

Fair points. Interestingly enough, your shuttle inspired me to build my own (first thing I've built that wasn't just a tube with a fuel tank) and showed it off to a couple of friends side by side with your's and they hands down all preferred your's, so what do I know, heh:D.

Quick question: does the shuttle have built in heat shielding? I'm playing with Deadly Re-Entry and that might be relevant...

Cheers.

It does not. The heat tiles you see on the underside of either orbiter are purely cosmetic. We used to have MM patches for DRE, but I do not recall if they were ever kept up to date post KSP1.0. That being said it shouldnt be hard to write a patch for your own personal use (or to share with others).

Actually, the modulemanager patches in the FX folder are still used to tune the heat resistance for the shuttles in once place. So you can just bump up the values in that file, I have not tried it out with deadly reentry or any similar mods though.

Edited by Nazari1382

19 minutes ago, Nazari1382 said:

Actually, the modulemanager patches in the FX folder are still used to tune the heat resistance for the shuttles in once place. So you can just bump up the values in that file, I have not tried it out with deadly reentry or any similar mods though.

Oh... we still have those? We should really move them to a separate 'Patches' folder instead of shoving them in an unrelated folder... I didnt even know they were there... I stand corrected.

That is something of definite interest! I'm working on one now; I'm just copying the values from the stock 1.25m heat shield and applying them to the exposed surfaces.

I'm not going to make an effort to balance it, that's something that people can edit themselves, as long as the config does what it says, I'll be happy, and they can always tune it in the VAB.

And yeah, I could just increase the maxTemp = xyz I guess, but I'd rather have heatshielding, seems more balanced and something I can tweak in game, but if it doesn't work, that's plan B.

Alright, I made an MM config that adds 200 Ablative Shielding to pretty much the entire shuttle. As I said above, I essentially copied the values from the 1.25m heat shield and applied them to the wings, gears, nose, cockpit, cargobay, shroud, rear engine mounting plate. In total, that's about 2 tons of shielding, which may be over kill, but can be tuned in the VAB (or edited directly in the confg). May also not be enough. I've only checked to see if it added it to the parts and can be edited; haven't checked to test whether this will get you safely down to kerbin in one piece!

Enjoy (and please double check my work if you can, I'm not the most experienced config writer, even though everything seems okay).

Config

And in case the above link goes down, the config contents; hack at it all you want, I don't care:

///Created by Deimos Rast

///
///Values copied from the stock 1.25m Heat Shield
///

///Left Wing
@PART[leftwingkso]
{
MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAblator
		ablativeResource = Ablator
		lossExp = -7500
		lossConst = 0.1
		pyrolysisLossFactor = 6000
		reentryConductivity = 0.01
		ablationTempThresh = 500
	}
RESOURCE
	{
		name = Ablator
		amount = 200
		maxAmount = 200
	}

}

///Right Wing
@PART[rightwingkso]
{
MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAblator
		lossExp = -7500
		lossConst = 0.1
		ablationTempThresh = 500
	}
RESOURCE
	{
		name = Ablator
		amount = 200
		maxAmount = 200
	}

}

///Front Landing Gear
@PART[nosegearkso]
{
MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAblator
		lossExp = -7500
		lossConst = 0.1
		ablationTempThresh = 500
	}
RESOURCE
	{
		name = Ablator
		amount = 200
		maxAmount = 200
	}

}

///Left Landing Gear
@PART[leftgearkso]
{
MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAblator
		lossExp = -7500
		lossConst = 0.1
		ablationTempThresh = 500
	}
RESOURCE
	{
		name = Ablator
		amount = 200
		maxAmount = 200
	}

}

///Right Landing Gear
@PART[rightgearkso]
{
MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAblator
		lossExp = -7500
		lossConst = 0.1
		ablationTempThresh = 500
	}
RESOURCE
	{
		name = Ablator
		amount = 200
		maxAmount = 200
	}

}

///Nose Cone
@PART[hingedradomekso]
{
MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAblator
		lossExp = -7500
		lossConst = 0.1
		ablationTempThresh = 500
	}
RESOURCE
	{
		name = Ablator
		amount = 200
		maxAmount = 200
	}

}

///Cockpit
@PART[KSO_Cabin]
{
MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAblator
		lossExp = -7500
		lossConst = 0.1
		ablationTempThresh = 500
	}
RESOURCE
	{
		name = Ablator
		amount = 200
		maxAmount = 200
	}

}

///Rear Engine Mount
@PART[rearkso]
{
MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAblator
		lossExp = -7500
		lossConst = 0.1
		ablationTempThresh = 500
	}
RESOURCE
	{
		name = Ablator
		amount = 200
		maxAmount = 200
	}

}

///Mounting Shroud
@PART[stackmountkso]
{
MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAblator
		lossExp = -7500
		lossConst = 0.1
		ablationTempThresh = 500
	}
RESOURCE
	{
		name = Ablator
		amount = 200
		maxAmount = 200
	}

}

///Cargo Hold
@PART[cgholdkso]
{
MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAblator
		lossExp = -7500
		lossConst = 0.1
		ablationTempThresh = 500
	}
RESOURCE
	{
		name = Ablator
		amount = 200
		maxAmount = 200
	}

}

Edited by Deimos Rast
updated link

I can't find the stack separator for the observatory, and the observatory doesn't seem to have the node at the top for it, is it missing or is it just me?

Edit: Never mind, it was just me missing it!

Edited by mostlydave

So it turns out Deadly Re-Entry comes included with config files for the KSO shuttle and Super Orbiter 25 that change around the max temperatures. And considering his configs specifically have checks to see whether the shuttle pieces have the Ablator resource, I'm not entirely sure my efforts were necessary (in fact they may have been counter productive).

The configs are, appropriately titled "DeadlyReentry-KSO.cfg" and "DeadlyReentry-KSO25.cfg" in the main DRE folder. I'd post them, but I forget what his license is.

Welp.:mellow:

---edit---

I suppose it's still useful for people who don't use DRE.

Edited by Deimos Rast

8 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I saw this on the SpaceDock for the Dauntless: "The Dauntless Orbiter will soon be retired from the shuttle program. It is up to you to make her final missions the most epic."

What's this about being retired?

The future waits for no one. (Or no shuttle). ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.