[1.1.3] KSO (Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter) Legacy Packs & Development Updates

Nazari1382

5 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

Oh alright. So are they just updating the aerodynamics and stuff?

It seemed like there would be more stuff earlier.

But still. Bug hunters are always helpful. I'll see if I can get ahold of him.

Lots of work is being done.

You can try contacting him, but like I said, I dont think hes currently looking for anyone else to help.

Avalon and Helldiver, can't wait for the mod, I've used in prior installs and it is by far one of my favorite mods used in KSP, right up there w/ the Alcor Pod.  Looking forward to its release, and just wanted to say thank you to you guys for all you do for the community.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Goat Master said:

Does this mod work for 1.1?

I have gotten the parts and interiors to work (for the most part) in 1.1.2, however, landing gear DOES NOT work and will cause a horrific series of events if the wheels touch the ground.

2 hours ago, TJBombard said:

I have gotten the parts and interiors to work (for the most part) in 1.1.2, however, landing gear DOES NOT work and will cause a horrific series of events if the wheels touch the ground.

Any/all previous mods with wheels/landing gear are busted in the newer version of Unity that KSP uses from 1.1, onward. Best not to use them. :wink: Work is being done on a few fronts, but I'm most excited by the Kerbal Foundries (repulsors, tracks, etc.) mod. They're making some progress. Hopefully some of that success can be shared with other mods that add custom wheels and landing bits.

New things and old things are being worked on. We have limited free time. As for the new wheels, I'm not enjoying the buggy qualities of the new modules, but they will work about as well as other 1.1 wheels.

3 hours ago, Nazari1382 said:

New things and old things are being worked on. We have limited free time. As for the new wheels, I'm not enjoying the buggy qualities of the new modules, but they will work about as well as other 1.1 wheels.

Are they particularly buggy? Or just the normal sort of post-patch bugginess because its new?

Edited by Avalon304

FYI, for those out there, who, like me, love the station mod (what used to be Part 2 of KSOS), it runs just fine under 1.1.2 except for one thing - the animation is broken for the observation cupola.  The good news is, it's fixable.  The bad news is it requires editing a config file (but I suspect many of us are comfortable with that)  If you want to use the station pack in 1.1.2, go into the Parts subdirectory, find the ssmodcupolakso.cfg file, and open it in a text editor.  Then look for the FSAnimateGeneric module near the bottom (the first one, which isn't commented out)  Replace the entire block with the following:

MODULE
{
        name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
        animationLayer = 2
        animationName = Take001
        startEventGUIName = Open Window Shield
        endEventGUIName = Close Window Shield
        actionGUIName = Toggle Window Shield
        eventAvailableEVA = True
        eventAvailableFlight = True
        eventAvailableEditor = True
        evaDistance = 2
}

Save it, and voila - you have a working KSO station.

---

I'm eagerly awaiting a 1.1.2 release of this mod like the rest of you, but since KSO part 2 was almost a "pure" parts mod with few dependencies on external mods like Firespitter or the Klockheed Martian stuff (you still need ModuleManager, and RPM if you want the nifty screens), we can totally have the old space station (and fly around my favorite craft, the KSO tug module!)

Spacedock Link to Part 2

Edited by panarchist

5 hours ago, panarchist said:

FYI, for those out there, who, like me, love the station mod (what used to be Part 2 of KSOS), it runs just fine under 1.1.2 except for one thing - the animation is broken for the observation cupola.  The good news is, it's fixable...

I have been thinking of using old KSO station parts. These are, without a doubt, still some of the best station parts out there.

The shuttle is awesome but not "lego" enough for me. So i found myself mostly using the station parts from this mod.

Thanks for the help with the cupola.

Edited by Vrana

Also, for those who are adept at creating ModuleManager config files, here's two you might want for the station:

(Copy and paste into a text file, save file as "filename.cfg" (replacing "filename" with something that makes sense to you) and drop into GameData. (I'd recommend creating a folder in GameData and putting them in there)

CLS compatibility:

@PART[ss2pointextkso]:FOR[KSO]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
        passable = true
    }
}

@PART[ss3pointhubkso]:FOR[KSO]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        passable = true
    }
}

@PART[ss4pointhubkso]:FOR[KSO]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        passable = true
    }
}

@PART[ss6pointsquarekso]:FOR[KSO]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        passable = true
    }
}

@PART[ss6pointocto1kso]:FOR[KSO]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        passable = true
    }
}

@PART[KSO_DockingModule]:FOR[KSO]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        passable = true
    }
}

@PART[KSO_Habitat]:FOR[KSO]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        passable = true
    }
}

@PART[KSO_Hydroponics]:FOR[KSO]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        passable = true
    }
}

@PART[KSO_KerbaLab]:FOR[KSO]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        passable = true
    }
}

@PART[ssport1kso]:FOR[KSO]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        passable = true
    }
}

@PART[ssport2kso]:FOR[KSO]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        passable = true
    }
}

@PART[ssport3kso]:FOR[KSO]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        passable = true
    }
}

@PART[ssport4kso]:FOR[KSO]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        passable = true
    }
}

@PART[KSO_SST]:FOR[KSO]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        passable = true
    }
}

USI-LS compatibility:

@PART[KSO_Habitat]:FOR[KSO]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleLifeSupport]]:FOR[USILifeSupport]
{
    MODULE
    {
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

RESOURCE
    {
        name = ReplacementParts
        amount = 1000
        maxAmount = 1000
    }

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleHabitation
		KerbalMonths = 8.75
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = USI_ModuleFieldRepair
	}

}

@PART[KSO_Hydroponics]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleLifeSupport]]:FOR[USILifeSupport]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

RESOURCE
    {
        name = ReplacementParts
        amount = 200
        maxAmount = 200
    }

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupportRecycler
		CrewCapacity = 2
		RecyclePercent = .7
		ConverterName = Life Support
		tag = Life Support
		StartActionName = Start Life Support
		StopActionName = Stop Life Support

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = ElectricCharge
			Ratio = 1
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
	}

}

@PART[KSO_KerbaLab]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleLifeSupport]]:FOR[USILifeSupport]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

RESOURCE
    {
        name = ReplacementParts
        amount = 200
        maxAmount = 200
    }

MODULE
	{
		CrewCapacity = 2
		RecyclePercent = .7
		tag = Life Support

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 1
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
	}

}

@PART[sspowerkso]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleLifeSupport]]:FOR[USILifeSupport]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

MODULE
	{
	}
	MODULE
	{
		CrewCapacity = 5
		RecyclePercent = .2
		tag = Life Support

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 1
		}
	}
    RESOURCE[Mulch]
    {
	amount = 0
	maxAmount = 50
    }
    RESOURCE[Supplies]
    {
	amount = 50
	maxAmount = 50
    }
}

1 minute ago, ultraviolet150 said:

@panarchist Endlessly helpful!

I should note a couple choices I made when creating those:

The CLS file has the Power Module as not passable.  If you look at how much is crammed into that thing, I don't see how Kerbals could pass through it and it still contain all those resources.

The USI-LS file adds LS and a LS converter to the Power Module, even though that module has no CrewCapacity.  This is based on the KSO description text that it contains Life Support, and it's in keeping with what I believe was the intent of the mod - the KSO station has that feel of the "first" Kerbal space station, with parts that are fairly close/comfy/cramped.  This is reinforced by the Hab holding 5 Kerbals but only having 4 bunks - forcing someone to "hot bunk". (actually 2 "someones")  My interpretation of this is that the Power Module is intended to be a all-in-one support module, similar to the original Russian module on the ISS, but unmanned due to its compact size.

If people don't agree with that interpretation, then you should modify the ModuleManager code accordingly.

@Nazari1382 is welcome to use or discard those mod definitions in future releases - just wanted to help out those who use those mods and want something other than the mod default definitions.

1 hour ago, panarchist said:

I should note a couple choices I made when creating those:

The CLS file has the Power Module as not passable.  If you look at how much is crammed into that thing, I don't see how Kerbals could pass through it and it still contain all those resources.

The USI-LS file adds LS and a LS converter to the Power Module, even though that module has no CrewCapacity.  This is based on the KSO description text that it contains Life Support, and it's in keeping with what I believe was the intent of the mod - the KSO station has that feel of the "first" Kerbal space station, with parts that are fairly close/comfy/cramped.  This is reinforced by the Hab holding 5 Kerbals but only having 4 bunks - forcing someone to "hot bunk". (actually 2 "someones")  My interpretation of this is that the Power Module is intended to be a all-in-one support module, similar to the original Russian module on the ISS, but unmanned due to its compact size.

If people don't agree with that interpretation, then you should modify the ModuleManager code accordingly.

@Nazari1382 is welcome to use or discard those mod definitions in future releases - just wanted to help out those who use those mods and want something other than the mod default definitions.

I think your interpretation is spot on. I'm happy using them as-is. Thanks again for drafting the MM config <3

This is probably going to end up as a stupid question, but supposing the only things broken for the KSOS Shuttle, can we just use the Stock Landing gear?

35 minutes ago, HawkedUpSpace said:

This is probably going to end up as a stupid question, but supposing the only things broken for the KSOS Shuttle, can we just use the Stock Landing gear?

Last I checked, there were still some issues with the aerodynamics and thermal resistance - KSO doesn't reflect many of KSP's recent changes, especially the aerodynamic model.  The rest of it works fine if the dependencies are up-to-date.

It's not an issue of not wanting to add more people perse, it's really just me not wanting to be swamped with the same reports :D

Basically, back in the day when Nazari had just signed on to just put the original KSO into KSP, I thought I was going to have to be more involved in the Unity -> KSP process. But since he took over the actual internal parts of the KSO, config files and all the other stuff, the amount of people needed to test became less and less. The main requirement for testers was to test behavior of how the shuttle would interact with other mods and other situations using parts I didn't know about or was used to.

I don't want to announce or say what's all going on at this moment. But in the coming week I'll be making announcements regarding the mod as well as its new direction. I think more people will be happy than sad, and after all that was always my goal; to encompass as many players with a good "kerbally" looking shuttle.

And so I present:

zZ3C9VH.jpg

Please keep in mind that it is a WIP and will still be a bit until it is ready for me to even begin texturing it.

Current features planned:

• 2.7 meter usable width of the cargo bay. 5.5m length as of the latest edits.
  • Moon Door can fit a standard docking port easily with plenty of room.
  • Moon Door bay will have colliders for additional equipment.
  • Measured and built to Squad's KSP measurements. What I see in Max, is what Nazari sees in Unity and what you guys will see in game. No more weird scaling and "virtual" measurements.
  • Significant savings in texture memory footprint. With this will come at caveat; No more KSO Standard, No more KSO Super 25. These will no longer be part of the mod. KSO EX replaces both of those.
  • With the exception of the Cockpit, Nose Cone, Cargo Bay, Rear End and CSEs, all parts of this mod are fully 100% modular and usable with other KSP parts. The wings are still up in the air do to the way the surfaces blend into the body. However they may still be used in other projects.
  • Fuselage no longer a single part.
  • RCS, MONO tanks, engine mountings are all separate parts usable in other projects. Don't like my RCS? Use a stock RCS or RCS from another mod and still have it look good in the shuttle.
  • Rear End and RCS tank shrouds can all be removed revealing interior detail and additional mounting locations for more stuff.
  • All parts will have interior details... yes, the formers, frames, ribs, plumbing, electrical, electrical boxes, batteries, turbo pumps, hydraulics.... yes.. all that will be modeled.
  • KSO EX supports Squad's proposed "Internal View" feature. It may not be complete when I release the mod, but it will fully support it.
  • Full support for Flags, alternate names, and "Drag and Drop" name changing. No more having to change the entire texture!
  • Fully modeled and detailed cockpit interior and Moon Door bay.
  • NASA Space Shuttle-like cargo bay.
  • All new fully modular EFT, EFT to Shuttle mounting frames, and sepatrons.
  • All new fully modular SRBs, yes SRBs, not LRBs anymore.
  • Landing Gear and all other parts besides those mentioned above are self contained and no longer have boxes around them. That means you can use the main gear in other projects without them looking out of place.

Potential Features

• Drag and Drop Albedo/Diffuse texture changing. This will allow you to edit the primary shuttle texture and still receive proper lighting/surface/displacement.
  • Support for additional parts, storage compartments, and supplies in the cockpit. This feature would remove the outer skin of the cabin allowing you to mount more parts.
  • Support for Kerbalism as well as TAC Life Support mods.
  • Possibility for the Cargo Bay to also be modular allowing you to stack several of them making a really long shuttle...
Edited by helldiver

1 hour ago, helldiver said:

It's not an issue of not wanting to add more people perse, it's really just me not wanting to be swamped with the same reports :D

Basically, back in the day when Nazari had just signed on to just put the original KSO into KSP, I thought I was going to have to be more involved in the Unity -> KSP process. But since he took over the actual internal parts of the KSO, config files and all the other stuff, the amount of people needed to test became less and less. The main requirement for testers was to test behavior of how the shuttle would interact with other mods and other situations using parts I didn't know about or was used to.

I don't want to announce or say what's all going on at this moment. But in the coming week I'll be making announcements regarding the mod as well as its new direction. I think more people will be happy than sad, and after all that was always my goal; to encompass as many players with a good "kerbally" looking shuttle.

And so I present:

zZ3C9VH.jpg

Please keep in mind that it is a WIP and will still be a bit until it is ready for me to even begin texturing it.

Current features planned:

• 2.7 meter usable width of the cargo bay. 5.5m length as of the latest edits.
  • Moon Door can fit a standard docking port easily with plenty of room.
  • Moon Door bay will have colliders for additional equipment.
  • Measured and built to Squad's KSP measurements. What I see in Max, is what Nazari sees in Unity and what you guys will see in game. No more weird scaling and "virtual" measurements.
  • Significant savings in texture memory footprint. With this will come at caveat; No more KSO Standard, No more KSO Super 25. These will no longer be part of the mod. KSO EX replaces both of those.
  • With the exception of the Cockpit, Nose Cone, Cargo Bay, Rear End and CSEs, all parts of this mod are fully 100% modular and usable with other KSP parts. The wings are still up in the air do to the way the surfaces blend into the body. However they may still be used in other projects.
  • Fuselage no longer a single part.
  • RCS, MONO tanks, engine mountings are all separate parts usable in other projects. Don't like my RCS? Use a stock RCS or RCS from another mod and still have it look good in the shuttle.
  • Rear End and RCS tank shrouds can all be removed revealing interior detail and additional mounting locations for more stuff.
  • All parts will have interior details... yes, the formers, frames, ribs, plumbing, electrical, electrical boxes, batteries, turbo pumps, hydraulics.... yes.. all that will be modeled.
  • KSO EX supports Squad's proposed "Internal View" feature. It may not be complete when I release the mod, but it will fully support it.
  • Full support for Flags, alternate names, and "Drag and Drop" name changing. No more having to change the entire texture!
  • Fully modeled and detailed cockpit interior and Moon Door bay.
  • NASA Space Shuttle-like cargo bay.
  • All new fully modular EFT, EFT to Shuttle mounting frames, and sepatrons.
  • All new fully modular SRBs, yes SRBs, not LRBs anymore.
  • Landing Gear and all other parts besides those mentioned above are self contained and no longer have boxes around them. That means you can use the main gear in other projects without them looking out of place.

Potential Features

• Drag and Drop Albedo/Diffuse texture changing. This will allow you to edit the primary shuttle texture and still receive proper lighting/surface/displacement.
  • Support for additional parts, storage compartments, and supplies in the cockpit. This feature would remove the outer skin of the cabin allowing you to mount more parts.
  • Support for Kerbalism as well as TAC Life Support mods.
  • Possibility for the Cargo Bay to also be modular allowing you to stack several of them making a really long shuttle...

And now you guys get to see it... finally! :P:D EX is going to be amazing guys.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.