I need help at my landers

1 hour ago, Tfin said:

..."bounce flip"...

I can hardly remember how I used to do things before MechJeb...anyway, MechJeb has an "UP" hold function which I use a lot on landings. Helps a lot with hovering too, as you can "tip" your craft in a direction you want to go in and you will start to drift that way - release and you return to vertical. This goes very well with one of the vertical-speed-control mods.

19 hours ago, tranenturm said:

One important thing if using the hold retrograde technique. Switch to basic hold just before landing. If you bounce you can have a very exciting landing. Or if you forget to turn it off, take offs can also be very exciting. 

That's why I don't use 'follow retrograde' when I get near the surface. I tend to brake a little heavily to allow choosing a nice level landing site, and the autopilot often interprets that as 'flip the hell over' when I go up a bit. That, naturally, leads to a boom.

It's definitely only useful with certain styles. I would say it's useful so long as you're 200+ meters from the surface. Then if you just create a 5 m/s decent rate it will kill off any extra horizontal pretty exactly and once that is done tick it back to normal SAS. 

So hard burn to "stop". 

Retro SAS on the way down provided you have enough drop

once horizontal is gone switch back to normal

And for a new person landing I wouldn't suggest the most efficient profile as they are the hardest to get right. They want their stop burn with about 1000 meters vertical left over just in case they get it wrong. Once experienced, we'll do what works for you. 

I just found when learning the retro hold took away all my problems with horizontal movement. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.