[1.8.1] Hangar Grid: Zero deviation [v0.4.0.181] (2019 Nov, 18)

Ser

On 2/28/2016 at 5:36 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

By chance, could you add a way to visualize the center of mass that's more precise like this, rather than that huge useless stock bubble?

On 2/29/2016 at 1:46 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

@Ser if there is I haven't seen it. Seems like it would fit right in with this. Maybe activate it completely separately from the stock one?

On 2/29/2016 at 1:49 AM, Ser said:

Maybe. I'll think about writting it down my TO DO list.

Hey, RCS Build aid has a slider that resizes the Center of Mass icon, it also provides an icon for the Dry Center of Mass, Wet Center of Mass, and Average Center of Mass so you can see where the Center of Mass will be as the fuel drains.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/33124-105-rcs-build-aid-v077/

Edited by frencrs

Also I added:

if (Input.GetKeyDown(conf.toggleVisuals)) {
	if (!modEnabled) {
		gridManager.showGrid(EditorLogic.fetch.editorBounds);
		guidesManager.showGuides();
		modEnabled = true;
	} else {
		gridManager.hideGrid();
		guidesManager.hideGuides();
		modEnabled = false;
	}
}

into the part of HangarGrid.cs that does that hotkey stuff, where "conf.toggleVisuals" is just like the other keys except set to Period.

I really wanted a key to turn it on and off while holding something.

On March 27, 2016 at 8:54 PM, frencrs said:

Hey, RCS Build aid has a slider that resizes the Center of Mass icon, it also provides an icon for the Dry Center of Mass, Wet Center of Mass, and Average Center of Mass so you can see where the Center of Mass will be as the fuel drains.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/33124-105-rcs-build-aid-v077/

Cool, wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hallelujah, It's on 1.1! For me this mod became essential for ksp with procedural parts. It's very hard to attach something straight on non-cylindrical fuel tanks.

@Ser Great work, and thank you! Also a small suggestion: I think at the very top of your mod description you should stress that Hangar Grid actually AUTOMATICALLY ALIGNS part's rotation. Pretty sure that most people don't realise this when they first see your post. That feature is super handy. No more faffing arournd with part rotate thingy

Edited by panourgue

1 hour ago, panourgue said:

Also a small suggestion: I think at the very top of your mod description you should stress that Hangar Grid actually AUTOMATICALLY ALIGNS part's rotation. Pretty sure that most people don't realise this when they first see your post. That feature is super handy. No more faffing arournd with part rotate thingy

Thanks for considering that. May be some clarification is indeed needed there.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome mod!

I have a request though. Would you be willing to implement some sort of crib sheet with the keyboard shortcuts into the game for simpletons like me? Maybe a right-click menu for the toolbar icon where the list of shortcuts pops up similar to the way Editor Extensions does it? Or maybe in the form of a KSPedia page?

Anyway, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work :D

4 hours ago, Honeybadga said:

Awesome mod!

I have a request though. Would you be willing to implement some sort of crib sheet with the keyboard shortcuts into the game for simpletons like me? Maybe a right-click menu for the toolbar icon where the list of shortcuts pops up similar to the way Editor Extensions does it? Or maybe in the form of a KSPedia page?

Anyway, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work :D

I've tried to implement some customization and tips at the same time via GUI but that looked crappy. I'll think how to help a user with the list of keys, but there's not much of them to remember. I use only three myself:

• [G] to bind the Grid to a part
  • [L] to aLign everything to anything
  • rarely [K] to deKlutter the symmetry guides.

There's also [.] to hide/show the grid but you may click the toolbar icon as well. [N], [M], [J] are deprecated but have been left working for some special cases when you are unable to point at a needed guide and press [L]. So, there are only two keys that are most commonly used, [G] and [L]. Hope that helps.

1 minute ago, Ser said:

I've tried to implement some customization and tips at the same time via GUI but that looked crappy. I'll think how to help a user with the list of keys, but there's not much of them to remember. I use only three myself:

• [G] to bind the Grid to a part
  • [L] to aLign everything to anything
  • rarely [K] to deKlutter the symmetry guides.

There's also [.] to hide/show the grid but you may click the toolbar icon as well. [N], [M], [J] are deprecated but have been left working for some special cases when you are unable to point at a needed guide and press [L]. So, there are only two keys that are most commonly used, [G] and [L]. Hope that helps.

Ah, ok. It wasn't entirely clear to me that those three keys are mostly deprecated. Thanks for the hint.

Just now, Honeybadga said:

Ah, ok. It wasn't entirely clear to me that those three keys are mostly deprecated. Thanks for the hint.

Oh, yes. I know that's unclear but I need some more spare time to redo description and video tutorial to provide proper information.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21.05.2016 at 1:23 AM, 123nick said:

hey can u add a feature where the part will be offse ttoo be in line with the grid lines? 

Could you be more specific about what you mean? Do you mean the ability to restrict a part's movement along one of the grid's axis', say along x or z only?

Feature request: Modifiers for the hotkeys would be nice.  This would allow simplified hotkeys (e.g. G to bind to grid, Ctrl+G to show/hide grid, Shift+G to recenter grid to highlighted part).  Could be represented in the cfg file with ^ (for Ctrl), % (for alt), etc.

7 hours ago, Fwiffo said:

Feature request: Modifiers for the hotkeys would be nice.  This would allow simplified hotkeys (e.g. G to bind to grid, Ctrl+G to show/hide grid, Shift+G to recenter grid to highlighted part).  Could be represented in the cfg file with ^ (for Ctrl), % (for alt), etc.

I hear you. That should be easy to implement but there's some troubles with modifiers. For example, Left Ctrl seems to be appropriated by the stock system.

4 hours ago, Fwiffo said:

Also dumb question:  Does this mod only work for rotation, or can it translate parts to a global (hangar) grid as well?

In the current version it works for rotation only. What's the point of translating parts to the grid? Have you an example when it's needed?'

Edited by Ser

On 5/24/2016 at 8:45 AM, Ser said:

Could you be more specific about what you mean? Do you mean the ability to restrict a part's movement along one of the grid's axis', say along x or z only?

i mean, offsetting the part, like moving its location so that it is on a actuall gridline, like whatever is considered the center of the part is moved onto a gridline, or atleast too the gridlines level, so it is on its plane, i guess thats how its worded? 

12 hours ago, Ser said:

What's the point of translating parts to the grid? Have you an example when it's needed?'

Most cases are covered by the stock game's snap-to-absolute mode (i.e. "F" key).  However there are a few I've come across which aren't:

1. When you want finer granularity than the 0.2 grid that comes with the stock game.  It would be awesome if a mod gave some way to adjust the grid resolution; this would cover off most of the scenarios I encounter.
  2. When you only want to snap one dimension, and leave the others where they are (e.g. to leave surface mount parts at their default "depth" on the attached surface).
  3. When you want to align the X/Y/Z coordinate of a part with another one (and the latter isn't a mirror sibling and isn't snapped to the absolute grid).  This is where a "hover mouse over alignment line and click snap hotkey" might be neat).
  4. When you want to do mirroring across other planes than the default one.  e.g. The game may make my parts mirror N/S on surface, but I want them to mirror E/W instead (without rotating the parent part).  Or in a more exotic scenario, I may want to place two parts (or multiple sets of radially attached parts) an equal distance above and below my ship's CoM (e.g. Vernor engines).  Admittedly, this could be covered off by the others, if you are careful about placement.

Tagging @linuxgurugamer here too, as EditorExtensionsRedux would alternatively be a good place for such functionality.  The "Fine Adjust" enhancement recently made to that mod seems like a step in this direction but still needs a lot of polish to be workable (while I praise the author's efforts, personally I find the feature unusable in its current state).

3 hours ago, Fwiffo said:

Tagging @linuxgurugamer here too, as EditorExtensionsRedux would alternatively be a good place for such functionality.  The "Fine Adjust" enhancement recently made to that mod seems like a step in this direction but still needs a lot of polish to be workable (while I praise the author's efforts, personally I find the feature unusable in its current state)

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts as to how it can be improved

Prior to posting an answer I want you to understand me right: I'm trying to figure out what should be implemented and what's the best way of doing it.

14 hours ago, 123nick said:

i mean, offsetting the part, like moving its location so that it is on a actuall gridline, like whatever is considered the center of the part is moved onto a gridline, or atleast too the gridlines level, so it is on its plane, i guess thats how its worded? 

So you want to restrict part's movement along a certain axis or a plane, right? Still cannot imagine the real use of it. Current version of Hangar Grid uses the center of a part's model as origin for the grid and guides. Actually, position of that center has no practical value neither for mass distribution, nor for drag, only aesthetics. So why do you need to align its position with another part? I think a screenshot of what you are trying to achieve would be useful.

12 hours ago, Fwiffo said:

Most cases are covered by the stock game's snap-to-absolute mode (i.e. "F" key).  However there are a few I've come across which aren't:

1. When you want finer granularity than the 0.2 grid that comes with the stock game.  It would be awesome if a mod gave some way to adjust the grid resolution; this would cover off most of the scenarios I encounter.
  2. When you only want to snap one dimension, and leave the others where they are (e.g. to leave surface mount parts at their default "depth" on the attached surface).
  3. When you want to align the X/Y/Z coordinate of a part with another one (and the latter isn't a mirror sibling and isn't snapped to the absolute grid).  This is where a "hover mouse over alignment line and click snap hotkey" might be neat).
  4. When you want to do mirroring across other planes than the default one.  e.g. The game may make my parts mirror N/S on surface, but I want them to mirror E/W instead (without rotating the parent part).  Or in a more exotic scenario, I may want to place two parts (or multiple sets of radially attached parts) an equal distance above and below my ship's CoM (e.g. Vernor engines).  Admittedly, this could be covered off by the others, if you are careful about placement.

Tagging @linuxgurugamer here too, as EditorExtensionsRedux would alternatively be a good place for such functionality.  The "Fine Adjust" enhancement recently made to that mod seems like a step in this direction but still needs a lot of polish to be workable (while I praise the author's efforts, personally I find the feature unusable in its current state).

1. An adjustable grid's resolution is in my plans for one of the future versions (now the step is exactly 1 meter - just FYI).

2, 3. Why would you need that? If we are talking about CoM alignment, snapping to the grid lines won't help you (see my answer to 123nick). In my experience, I'd rather disable snapping when fine tuning a part's position.

4. So you want an auto-mirroring relative to a grid's axis/plane function?

Edited by Ser

10 hours ago, Ser said:

Prior to posting an answer I want you to understand me right: I'm trying to figure out what should be implemented and what's the best way of doing it.

So you want to restrict part's movement along a certain axis or a plane, right? Still cannot imagine the real use of it. Current version of Hangar Grid uses the center of a part's model as origin for the grid and guides. Actually, position of that center has no practical value neither for mass distribution, nor for drag, only aesthetics. So why do you need to align its position with another part? I think a screenshot of what you are trying to achieve would be useful.

1. An adjustable grid's resolution is in my plans for one of the future versions (now the step is exactly 1 meter - just FYI).

2, 3. Why would you need that? If we are talking about CoM alignment, snapping to the grid lines won't help you (see my answer to 123nick). In my experience, I'd rather disable snapping when fine tuning a part's position.

4. So you want an auto-mirroring relative to a grid's axis/plane function?

actually, nvm. it was for a small purpose i had, but its not that important.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.