[1.8.1] Hangar Grid: Zero deviation [v0.4.0.181] (2019 Nov, 18)

Ser

On 5/26/2016 at 2:52 AM, Ser said:

2, 3. Why would you need that? If we are talking about CoM alignment, snapping to the grid lines won't help you (see my answer to 123nick). In my experience, I'd rather disable snapping when fine tuning a part's position.

I'd want to do (2) when I have a part perfectly aligned in one dimension and don't want to mess that dimension up while adjusting another.  e.g. When you first slap a surface mount part on to a vehicle in stock KSP the "depth" dimension (Z?) is not on the grid (even if snapping is turned on).  It tends to be at a depth that looks good for the mesh of the part you are adding.  You may want to offset the part up/down without impacting the depth (particularly if you've slapped a bunch of these on in other places; see next point).  In Stock KSP I end up having to turn off the grid temporarily to move these parts up/down without messing up the clearance to the parent part.

(3) is handy when you want to balance multiple parts that aren't mirrored.  My typical use case for this is when I want to add parts that are symmetric but not equally spaced (think "X Wing"), usually in order to make space for larger parts (e.g. fuel tanks / boosters) in the larger gaps.  Since they aren't equally spaced around the parent, I can't use the game's normal mirroring feature, so I need to manually add the parts one pair at a time and line them up perfectly by hand.

Here's another example.  In this one the vernors on the fins can't be symmetric siblings of the ones on the fuselage, but I want to align the Y coordinates of all four perfectly for balanced thrust (note the fuselage is a single-part weldment, and I want all the vernors at the vertical CoM).
41s45OP.png

On 5/26/2016 at 2:52 AM, Ser said:

4. So you want an auto-mirroring relative to a grid's axis/plane function?

I think that's a bit more complicated than I'm asking for, but would achieve it.

Hey regardless of whether any of this finds its way into new features, thanks for listening to and considering my feedback!

ps. I didn't realize grid lines aren't always from the CoM of the part they originate from.

Edited by Fwiffo
Add picture

@Fwiffo, Ok, I understood. My limited time is now shared between trying to revive AirPark to get my own career game moving and trying to repair G-Effects features broken since KSP 1.1. So I think that time by time I'll try to implement the features you've requested but won't make any promises when. As always, it should be soonTM:)

Well Fwiffo is onto something here.

That feature would be awesome. Just locking inividual axis to the nearest grid. Just using the same 3 keys, differentiated by rotation/translation mode.

Another example:

2Mx9N11.jpg?1

Being able to autoalign that hinge along the purple axis would totaly let my inner nerd sleep better.

And before i forget: thanks so much for this mod...constructing just aint no fun without precision...might be a german thing? I neet ze acurate!

• 2 weeks later...

Another example for Fwiffo's request...  I have a central tank with 4 outer tanks.  I want landing legs on all of them, because it's heavy :) but I need the landing legs at the same height (the two sets are marked with red arrows).  Currently I can set the grid to match the inner landing legs, then look at the grid head-on, and then move the outer legs up and down to match.  However, it would be great if I could just say "match height with this part".

Such a function might make more sense in Editor Extensions (since it already has vertical snap), so I'll cross-post there too.

M1ohHNx.png

• 4 weeks later...

Some time ago i was bugging another plugin dev about this idea, and after recently searching for this again i saw HG plugin. I had to pick up my jaw off the floor :)

Now the question : would it be possible to have app icon right-click open a small help window with shortcut keys help from first page ?

Just for beginners until they learn it. Right-click isn't used for anything right now, and it would be a right thing to do right away :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 19.08.2016 at 10:13 PM, fatcargo said:

Some time ago i was bugging another plugin dev about this idea, and after recently searching for this again i saw HG plugin. I had to pick up my jaw off the floor :)

Now the question : would it be possible to have app icon right-click open a small help window with shortcut keys help from first page ?

Just for beginners until they learn it. Right-click isn't used for anything right now, and it would be a right thing to do right away :)

Sorry for late answer, I have been out on vacation and hadn't checked the forum.

This have been already suggested and I have plans for it, may be you'll be able to see that via a GUI config window in future. For now you may just remember only three common keys:

Period(.) to toggle grid on and off.

G to bind the grid to a part

L on the guide to align that guide to the grid

And that's enough for the most cases.

Edited by Ser

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

lol, i cant beleive how much i relied on Hangar Grid to build my planes. i decided to upgrade to pre to test the built-in satelight system.. now im regretting it..

Ser, i love your HangarGrid. (no rush intended) Just thought i let you know how much i appreaciate HG. x

Edited by C04L

On 9/28/2016 at 11:15 PM, C04L said:

lol, i cant beleive how much i relied on Hangar Grid to build my planes. i decided to upgrade to pre to test the built-in satelight system.. now im regretting it..

Ser, i love your HangarGrid. (no rush intended) Just thought i let you know how much i appreaciate HG. x

Don't worry, I read you. Just waiting for 1.2 to settle down to give a final kick to my laziness and real life stuff and take care of the mods :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, thank you so much. This is a literal game changer for me. No matter what I could not get planes off the airstrip in KSP ever. But today I was finally, loveing finally able to get my dinky little plane of the runway after using this. Can't tell you how happy it makes me.

Such a great mod, instant must have for me. So happy it is there for KSP 1.2.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your time and effort. Until now I eyeballed it using long parts such as struts and arms. I even had a subassembly of x,y,z-aligned launch sticks from the sounding rocket's mod for reference. No need for that any more!

I was going to suggest ship CoM aligned grid for RCS thruster fine-eyeballingtuning but I found RCS Build Aids displays torque values. I'll leave the idea here anyway in case you implement the translation snap part.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, first of all, thanks for the mod!

When building something like a rectangular rover frame, I always find it annoying that I cannot align the girders. After installing your mod, I thought I would be able to use the alignment snapping to align my parts. But, then I realized that alignment snapping means rotation and not translation. So, I have come to the thread and read the discussion and indeed there seemed to be more requests for translation snapping. But somehow, from the discussion it seems that such snapping is only necessary for only some advanced cases. It seems as if there is a simple fix for my case: Stock global snapping? What is that? How do you do it?? How would you align the two sets of girders below?

7NMcYbF.png

12 hours ago, canisin said:

Hello, first of all, thanks for the mod!

When building something like a rectangular rover frame, I always find it annoying that I cannot align the girders. After installing your mod, I thought I would be able to use the alignment snapping to align my parts. But, then I realized that alignment snapping means rotation and not translation. So, I have come to the thread and read the discussion and indeed there seemed to be more requests for translation snapping. But somehow, from the discussion it seems that such snapping is only necessary for only some advanced cases. It seems as if there is a simple fix for my case: Stock global snapping? What is that? How do you do it?? How would you align the two sets of girders below?

Doesn't Engineer Extensions Redux mod help?

To do it with Hangar Grid I'd suggest you to try the following, though it would require some eyeballing: hover the mouse over the girder that is already in place and press G on it. That will bind the grid to it. Then select another one. Now you have the grid originating from the center of one part and the guides from the center of the other one and can align them manually to match the lines.

P.S. Guess I really need to do something about that translation alignment.

EDIT: what stops you from using x2 central symmetry for that?

Edited by Ser

On 1/21/2017 at 0:14 AM, Ser said:

Doesn't Engineer Extensions Redux mod help?

I think it would, my question was more like... it seemed that the previous posters were talking about some simple and stock ability to align such things, by turning on "global snap". I was asking about that.

But I wouldn' t mind you implementing a translational alignment feature. Engineering Extensions look rather good, I might install it, but it seemed like it contained too many features that I didn't currently need.

• 2 months later...

Brilliant! :cool: No more planes spazzing on the runway due to slightly misaligned wheels. It now takes some seconds for perfect alignment, instead of aeons of fiddling. Works fine on 1.2.2.

Thanks a lot!

• 4 weeks later...
On 05.05.2017 at 6:28 PM, baldamundo said:

Is there a way of changing the hotkeys? 'J' is used by procedural wings to open the wing customisation window when hovering over the part, so having it reset the orientation is really troublesome!

You can change it via the config file in the mod's folder. But you don't actually need those J N M keys as there is the L key to align any guide pointed at with mouse, so you may just set them to "None" value. 

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.