[1.8.1] Hangar Grid: Zero deviation [v0.4.0.181] (2019 Nov, 18)

Ser

hey i have a bug report, well not really a bug, but, when used with B9s procedural wings, because J is the button used too open up the wing editing menu for the B9 parts, and u have too have the mouse cursor on the part when pressing j too open it, with this mod, it automatically orients the wing facing forward, which is a bit of a pain when you need too have control surfaces on the end off a slanted wing, and pressing J makes them automatically align forward.

1 hour ago, 123nick said:

hey i have a bug report, well not really a bug, but, when used with B9s procedural wings, because J is the button used too open up the wing editing menu for the B9 parts, and u have too have the mouse cursor on the part when pressing j too open it, with this mod, it automatically orients the wing facing forward, which is a bit of a pain when you need too have control surfaces on the end off a slanted wing, and pressing J makes them automatically align forward.

I got it. Tried to not interfere with anything but failed. I have plans to add configurable keys when the GUI is ready. Does B9 allow to modify its hotkeys?

5 minutes ago, 123nick said:

does this mod change the shift-a,s,d,w keys ? for rotating parts? i tried too rotate a part by 5 degree increment, but it got rotated 90 degrees, like i wasnt holding shift down.

No, it does absolutely nothing about those keys. They should work as usual. You can see on the video that I use this shift-wasd feature when rotating a girder.

Just now, Ser said:

No, it does absolutely nothing about those keys. They should work as usual. You can see on the video that I use this shift-wasd feature when rotating a girder.

odd. a mod is making my shift-wasd keys not work, but i dont know what. i think this is the only mod i got recently? but whats wierd, is that i hold shift, and press it, and for a second it looks like it moved 5 degrees, then moves the rest of the way too 90 degrees.

1 minute ago, 123nick said:

odd. a mod is making my shift-wasd keys not work, but i dont know what. i think this is the only mod i got recently? but whats wierd, is that i hold shift, and press it, and for a second it looks like it moved 5 degrees, then moves the rest of the way too 90 degrees.

Did you try the same without the mod?

4 minutes ago, 123nick said:

well, i havent played ksp in a while, but im pretty sure i didnt see that happening. maybe its another mod doing that, idk.

You can easily figure that out, just move HangarGrid folder from your GameData elsewhere and try. It will take 5 minutes. I've just tried and everything works fine. It also might be a problem with your shift key. Try another one.

Edited by Ser

Just now, Ser said:

You can easily figure that out, just copy HangarGrid folder from your GameData elsewhere and try. It will take 5 minutes. I've just tried and everything works fine. It also might be a problem with your shift key. Try another one.

im using linux, but that only has the normal alt- keybindings replaced with right shift- keybindings, so that probably isnt it. ill do it later, although it may take only 5 minutes too do, it takes like, 30 or 20 or 10 minutes for KSP too load up. its probably not my computer, but the fact that i have a ton of mods.

12 hours ago, MK3424 said:

Nice: your mod is featured on modding Mondays:

Thanks. Frankly speaking, I never expected so much attention to this mod as it was created as a side effect of my research while working on completely different things. It's like the game development: you never can tell for sure if it shoots.

11 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

By chance, could you add a way to visualize the center of mass that's more precise like this, rather than that huge useless stock bubble?

I'll think about that but the problem is to find a way to disable the stock one. And are you sure there wasn't a mod that already does this?

11 hours ago, Foxster said:

Excellent mod. I agree this should be stock. 

One small suggestion: A little widget control to align parts, rather than having to remember which hot key aligns with which direction. 

The keys aren't actually hard to remember: if you look at your keyboard and imagine that the hangar extends under it, the forward vector will punch through the [N], [J] will point up and [M] will be right. The only thing you'll have to remember is which color for which direction is: Red is Right, Violet is Vorwarts and Pink is always the "thrust vector", i.e. Up. Soon I'll release an update that let'syou change the keys via config file to be more convenient for you.

But that's a useful suggestion. I think the widget should not be visible all the time because there are enough things that clutter the view already. It could be enabled by pressing a key.

Edited by Ser

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@Ser if there is I haven't seen it. Seems like it would fit right in with this. Maybe activate it completely separately from the stock one?

Maybe. I'll think about writting it down my TO DO list.

Optional update 0.2.1 is out

Now you can change the hotkeys by editing HangarGrid.cfg in the mod's folder if you don't like them or if there's a conflict with another mod. Valid values are listed inside the file.

Edited by Ser

15 hours ago, sashan said:

J key conflicts with B9 Procedural Wings. Would it be possible to remap it?

Update 0.2.1 is just for this. Edit HangarGrid.cfg file in the mod's folder and change alignUpAxis = J to a sane value from the list below in the file.

Version 0.2.2 is out

Changes:

• You don't need to remember hotkeys for each guide anymore, just move your mouse over the desired guide and press the [L] key. The keys for individual alignment still work if you prefer them in some special cases.
  • Added a key (K) to toggle symmetry guides (deKlutter). May be useful when working with many radially symmetrical parts creating a bunch of guides which makes them complex to use. This key let's you see the ones for the original part only.
Edited by Ser

• 2 weeks later...
On 18.03.2016 at 9:32 PM, Rodhern said:

B.t.w. Did you notice that Ctrl-Z-undo won't always 'detect' that a part has been rotated (with a guide)?

Nope, thanks for reporting, I'll look into this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.