Devnote Wednesday: Tuesday Edition

SQUAD

44 minutes ago, SQUAD said:
 it was beautiful in unexpected ways. Dan (DanRosas) provided him with handouts and swag® to hand out at the convention and also worked on the console manuals for KSP.

CONSOLE MANUALS?

The little booklets that come inside game cases with physical disks? The things no one does anymore but I greatly value because it shows just a little extra care went into the user experience? Can we see a page?

also as a future PS4 player, I would love to see your controls page. will you use the PS4 controllers gyros at all?

46 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

Mike and Ted are also putting the finishing touches on the new PartTools

Does Squad use PartTools internally (or some version thereof) to make the .mu's etc?

Or a bit downstream from there, does that actually mean staying on .mu's at all or some other standard asset type now?

Or is Squad moving to use asset bundles (either for 1.1 or perhaps later) to take advantage of the dynamic loading/unloading they offer?

46 minutes ago, SQUAD said:
The save upgrading system we mentioned last week has been coming along nicely. Felipe (HarvesteR) put together the different parts that were required to upgrade save games from 1.0.5 to 1.1, the wheels specifically. A system that rewrites text files sounds simple enough, but the amount of work doesn’t quite reflect that: there are literally dozens of ways to load various types of save files in the game. Just a small sample: loading a game from the main menu, starting scenarios, quick-loading, reverting a flight, loading craft files in the editor, loading subassemblies, merging ships, and editing vessels from the launch dialog.

I cannot begin to say how overjoyed I am to read this!  My biggest fear is losing the career game I'm using for my fan-fiction story, and having to rebuild everything from scratch.  And I know so many other people on here with amazing career games going that probably feel the same. 
I just wish there was some way I could help... or maybe buy Felipe a beer after work... anything to show how thankful I am that he's taking the time and effort to save our games!!!

55 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

manoeuvre nodes can now be placed properly on hyperbolic trajectories (you can more easily place that manoeuvre node to plan your Duna capture burn)

Does that mean that it will no longer be so hard to place a node, no more hunting around for the exact pixel that will allow you to click on the future path--in which case, Sir, I say Huzzah and three cheers for you! May your tribe prosper, and may you never post while under the influence of alcohol. If not, then I shall simply echo the sentiments of those who thank you once again for an informative Dev Notes. As for those who do not, may they reap the rewards they so richly deserve.

Warmly, and respectfully, I remain,
             yr. obt. svt.,
                   Perry Apsis

18 minutes ago, r4pt0r said:

also as a future PS4 player, I would love to see your controls page. will you use the PS4 controllers gyros at all?

I would surely wear out a good set of gyros in a year, what with slamming into things, overheating things until they pop, and the occasional unplanned lithobreaking.

Huh. That was so far the best poem - hopefully you still have creative juices for even better ones in coming weeks :D Also, it looks like most of the content is done - what remains is bug stomping and polishing things. Do i feel experimentals coming close...very close?

Great devnotes and a truly lovely poem, thanks team!

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

The rest of the team has been tackling odds and ends on the bugtracker, [...] gimbals operate a bit faster [...].

Gimbal speed is increased? If anything, I thought gimbal speed needed to be slowed down (they move from default orientation to max gimbal range practically instantaneously currently)... or am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, Yakuzi said:

Gimbal speed is increased? If anything, I thought gimbal speed needed to be slowed down (they move from default orientation to max gimbal range practically instantaneously currently)... or am I missing something?

Maybe the under-the-hood calculations governing gimbals have been improved rather than their in-game operation (woo optimisation!)

Will 1.1 finally fix surface lag? Ever since I started playing KSP, the game has practically been a slideshow inside the atmosphere (or even on the surface) of a planet/moon, unless I keep the camera pointed away from the ground. I'd really love to see this fixed so I can have some fun with rovers and the like.

Also: even in stock, with a fresh game, my KSP always crashes during re-entry unless I have aerodynamic settings at minimal. Is there a memory leak there? Will this be fixed anytime soon?

7 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

Will 1.1 finally fix surface lag? Ever since I started playing KSP, the game has practically been a slideshow inside the atmosphere (or even on the surface) of a planet/moon, unless I keep the camera pointed away from the ground. I'd really love to see this fixed so I can have some fun with rovers and the like.

Also: even in stock, with a fresh game, my KSP always crashes during re-entry unless I have aerodynamic settings at minimal. Is there a memory leak there? Will this be fixed anytime soon?

Assuming the multi-threading will handle the physics calculations during atmospheric flight, then yes. It was the physics that was destroying pqs.

4 minutes ago, lextacy said:

Assuming the multi-threading will handle the physics calculations during atmospheric flight, then yes. It was the physics that was destroying pqs.

Awesome. What about re-entry? Will it fix that as well?

Also, what does pqs stand for? :blush:

Very good Devnotes as usual. I'm feeling like the light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger and brighter every week.

As much as I would like to get my hands on 1.1 however, I would like all of you to take your time with it. Having the update released later rather than earlier makes it much more satisfying to get, even if it has been in development for over eight months at this point.

27 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

Maybe it's just dejavu but I feel that I've read this word for word before... 

@NoMrBond @Yakuzi yeah, that got a bit compressed in translation. Gimbal code was sped up by rewriting it to use fewer quaternion ops. A happy upside is that gimbals can be constrained individually in X and Y, though it does require that gimbal transforms obey the same orientation as thrust transforms (i.e. gimbal transform needs Z along the thrust axis).

Just now, NathanKell said:

@NoMrBond @Yakuzi yeah, that got a bit compressed in translation. Gimbal code was sped up by rewriting it to use fewer quaternion ops. A happy upside is that gimbals can be constrained individually in X and Y, though it does require that gimbal transforms obey the same orientation as thrust transforms (i.e. gimbal transform needs Z along the thrust axis).

Great stuff! Thanks for clearing that up Nathan!

11 minutes ago, Cornholio said:

Maybe it's just dejavu but I feel that I've read this word for word before... 

Nah, he has definantly posted this before.

--- Back to topic ---

A brilliant devnotes and a wonderful poem, touched my heart right there.

Looking forward to playing 1.1 update, the effort all of you at squad are putting in really shows in your top quality results. Keep up the great work and don't forget to treat yourself.

Edited by captainbinary

1 hour ago, RazorWolf19 said:

I swear to god, you guys better beef up your servers again; this update is gonna be killer. I can't wait to download it... whenever it comes out (~10 years from now, it seems)!

Nice DevNotes, as always. ;D

1.2 will probably be out before you can download 1.1, because of the unintentional DDOS-ing. :D

43 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

What I'm hearing is I'll we'll be able make a stock supported P&W F-119 with correctly constrained pitch only gimballing elements?

/Light starts shining in through office windows from above

/Choir singing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.