Devnote Wednesday: Tuesday Edition

SQUAD

Every time I have to restart my game to prevent a memory crash, I come to these forums expecting a date for 1.1 :( I keep thinking about the awesome modpack I will be able to run. Does anyone know how they usually plan to release a new version? Do they do some kind of closed beta of it first, or do they announce and release it at the same day?

2 hours ago, meuqsaco said:

Do they do some kind of closed beta of it first, or do they announce and release it at the same day?

They announce Experimentals(more or less a closed beta), the Hype-train thread gets started and we wait for a release.

We do not know which day it will be released until the release has happened, but we can be confident that it is still some days(probably weeks) away as Experimentals have not started yet.

I am rather expecting 1.1 to be released just after I have my interplanetary fuel network set up and I have a grand tour vessel en route to Jool.

On 2/24/2016 at 8:51 PM, Alshain said:

ESRB E and PEGI 3 are not equal.  They seek to establish the same goal but for the culture and acceptance of different parts of the world.  (Very) Generally speaking, Europeans are a little more relaxed on things than the Americas.  Not that KSP wouldn't get E rated, in fact I'm almost certain it would, but just saying they aren't equal.  I don't live in Europe so I wouldn't ever base buying decisions for my kids based on their standards.

Europeans are more relaxed on sex and less on violence.  In the '80s there was cop show named Dempsey and Makepeace which (unusually) aired in both the UK and the US.  Supposedly each episode was shot long; the UK version had to be trimmed of violence and the US version trimmed of sex.

Hard to imagine censors anywhere would have a problem with KSP.

1 hour ago, tsotha said:

Europeans are more relaxed on sex and less on violence.  In the '80s there was cop show named Dempsey and Makepeace which (unusually) aired in both the UK and the US.  Supposedly each episode was shot long; the UK version had to be trimmed of violence and the US version trimmed of sex.

Hard to imagine censors anywhere would have a problem with KSP.

Ah, well I knew they were more relaxed on sex, I can see the violence being swapped though.  No, I don't think KSP would have any problems getting E, but the notion that PEGI 3 and ESRB E are equivalent always bugs me, I see it a lot.

2 minutes ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

So a few days before release somebody's gonna have to make an "official 1.1 first impressions" thread, because everyone is going to want to talk about all the shiny new features and performance increases. 

Maybe but I suspect we are still a little more than a few days before that.  When they announce experimentals then that is the time for the hype train to start boarding.

Edited by Alshain

4 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Maybe but I suspect we are still a little more than a few days before that.  When they announce experimentals then that is the time for the hype train to start boarding.

Oh I know that, I'm saying that once experimentals are coming to a close somebody will have to make it. If nobody does, Kraken knows I will. 

15 hours ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

@meuqsaco

@KerbMav

As far as we know, experimentals have not started yet. Those take a few weeks. After that, final polishing and release. 

We still have a ways to go until 1.1 unfortunately. I'm expecting early/mid March.

It might be released on the Anniversary of KSP 1.0 which might be reasonable; don't take my word for it, it may be released even further into time... ;) :D

On 2016. 02. 25. at 11:36 PM, TeeGee said:

Step 1) Update KSP to use the new unity engine

Step 2) Update KSP with everything it is missing 

Step 3) Call the game complete.

Step 4.: Begin to develop the Kerbal Space Program 2. (Probably with a more mature game engine)

We have to understand the KSP business plan cannot have the necessary grow potential.

I buy for the KSP for 7$. The game is radically changed since then, the Devs spend just the god know how many thousand hours with it. Even if I like to support them, I rather like to finish the current game line, and encourage them to make a better one, where I can spend my money for reasons.  

Edited by Cifu

On 25/2/2016 at 8:33 PM, GeneCash said:

Actually, they have to be careful. One of the axioms of software development management is "adding manpower to a late software project makes it later" (see Brooks' Mythical Man-Month)

That's because the old hands have to train the newbs, the newbs make stupid mistakes that the old hands have to take time to fix, and it's more time-consuming to communicate vital things to everyone.

I see Squad's been careful to hire mod devs that already know a good chunk of KSP development tools and practices, so there's not so much of a learning curve. They're also apparently careful not to make the team too large too.

I would not want to be in Dr. Turkey's shoes. He's got a difficult row to hoe.

I dont mean they hire people for 1.1, that is obviously too late. I agree with what you say but a company also has to grow, KSP has had a lot of success but it could get much bigger and better

On 2/26/2016 at 10:30 PM, 0111narwhalz said:

Well, get started on your IP fuel network and GT vehicle, then!

Scansats en-route for all planets inside Dres orbit with Fuel station Ike on it's way.

(hoping to launch at least one more scansat and a fuel base or two tonight)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.