[WIP][1.1.3] XKOM- Interceptors Update- The Raven Takes Flight

njmksr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

Cant seem to get it to VTOL properly

Hi ideally you would set it up with action groups,  to use the VTOL to its best you need to shut off the main thrust engines (fwd of course) Also the position of  the wings has a large effect on VTOL use, there are iirc 3 position nodes for mounting the wings,  for VTOL use  the aft. most rearward of the positions functions most effectively, the position of the wings dramatically changes the balance of the craft, and while the most forward position is a good all around place, it does limit it's VTOL abilities, either way, the other team member's stuffed a load of sas torque in there so you should be ok to for slow fwd/aft hover no ,matter in which position the wings are mounted

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)
typo

Hey everyone, I'm back! 

So some advice on the VTOL: there's a great mod called Throttle Controlled Avionics-- it's wonderful for struggling VTOL pilots (i.e. me). 

Also, the Interceptors Update (Part 1- the Raven Interceptor) is coming soon-- we're working on the (RPM-supported) IVA. IU part 2 will be the Firestorm Interceptor, and IU part 3 will be weapons.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ty.schoenecker said:

Hey, I was trying to download the recent update off of Spacedock and it kept telling me that the file was invalid. :sealed: Is there another source I could get the new version from?

BTW I love this mod. Keep up the good work!

That's weird. I'll take a look at that, re-upload it. 

Happy first post btw!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, I just wanted to thx you for this wonderful mod, I love the ship, and for me it works sooo perfectly, for what I had been doing. 

I decided to modify the ship to use it as a VTOL-Cargo ship, in where I attach a winch to the middle of its center of weight and then any of my kerbals can grab it and attach it to the connector on the ship or piece of equipment that I want to move. 

The thing is that the current configuration of the skyranger, only support around 21 tn of mass. That's the capacity of the current motors, to lift up the entire ship in VTOL mode, but if it weighs more than that it a little bit hard to keep the ship in control without using the controlled throttle mod. I did manage to attach 2 more motors and it gave me that necessary twr, to lift anything to a maximum capacity of 22 tons, this is using the mod that enhance the VTOL mode, but it really doesn't looks as pretty as it did without other motors attached. I would like to know if it's possible for you guys to come up with an Idea to have like a cargo version with extra thrust or a little bit more power to do some heavy lifting. 

I will add a video version of the skyranger with the parts that I added and how I had been using it to move submarines and to move equipment and stuff to the abandoned island in where I'm creating a mini colony, with the USI kolonization stuff.

-----Needed to add this!!!----- After working on this for a couple of more hours I finally got it set. I just added 2 more panthers inside the VTOL Wings, they match the bottom exhaust intake perfectly. Now If I want to do a cargo of something I just need to toggle afterburners, for that extra load. Would be nice to have something like an overdrive or afterburner for the vtol wings. 

Edited by WarriorneX

• 1 month later...
On 02/11/2016 at 9:38 PM, WarriorneX said:

I would like to know if it's possible for you guys to come up with an Idea to have like a cargo version with extra thrust or a little bit more power to do some heavy lifting. 

-----Needed to add this!!!----- After working on this for a couple of more hours I finally got it set. I just added 2 more panthers inside the VTOL Wings, they match the bottom exhaust intake perfectly. Now If I want to do a cargo of something I just need to toggle afterburners, for that extra load. Would be nice to have something like an overdrive or afterburner for the vtol wings. 

Hi sorry took so long to get you a reply nimskr is busy with real life and I'm buried in mods,  i saw the first bit then the edit and was going to say we could probably do a dual mode cfg like the panthers for the vtols,   But really I'd like to do SR again from scratch there's a number of things that bug me and i wouldn't do it that way again, i have different methods for dealing with complex shapes, no less time consuming but much better in the end.  Should time allow I'll have a look at the engine mods etc, things have been so mad with 1.1.3.2.1.2 etc  that i didn't even have a copy left on my machine, i still have the raw models but i need to find out where we left off ,:)  ( but really i want to test the raven against the latest bda top gun competitors to see if it's as good as i thought it was)

Cheers

• 8 months later...
9 hours ago, LatiMacciato said:

i know this topic is quite old, but i just wanted to say, i played with this mod when i played from KSP 1.1.3 to 1.2.2 (currently testing if it still works with 1.3 but it should)

I'll report back if i find anything :)

GREAT STUFF!!

Hi,  cheers

yup almost lost to the void, but still here, I've recently taken a look at the models and parts and I feel that the skyranger needs a bit of a tune up, it's lost something since it was created and definitely does not fly the way it used to.

I'll be dropping nim a message regarding this mod, as i did all the work and have all the original assets I may as well adopt it completely. Watch this space

4 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi,  cheers

yup almost lost to the void, but still here, I've recently taken a look at the models and parts and I feel that the skyranger needs a bit of a tune up, it's lost something since it was created and definitely does not fly the way it used to.

I'll be dropping nim a message regarding this mod, as i did all the work and have all the original assets I may as well adopt it completely. Watch this space

*grins* .. mind I speak out a suggestion? (while I'm aware this mod is still WIP)

the raven wing are hard to attach in editor (SPH/VAB), maybe a node with clipping would be more useful since I'm a totall fail at attaching things manually and explict without snapping.

otherwise I'm used to grind all the Kerbin contracts with the SkyRanger. (also support that vessel via snacks-recyclers/see my signature :P)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.