What do you think about Apollo 12

Pawelk198604

SCE to AUX.

'Nuff said.

....almost. Recently watched a docu on ground control and its developement for/during the Apollo program. I still have my jaw on the floor thinking about the caliber of guys like John Aaron.

I think Apollo 12 was my favourite too. I always liked the story about how Pete Conrad (not Shepard :) - he was commander for Apollo 14 if I recall correctly), gave Bean a turn at flying the ascent module back up from the Moon, just because it seemed right that he (Bean) should get a go at the flying too. When Bean wasn't sure whether Mission Control would go for it, Conrad pointed out that there was nothing they could do about it, being as they were out of radio contact at the time.

Edited by KSK

5 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

I personally prefer 15 to 17. Mainly because of the rovers. Those were cool.

I think 15 is an interesting mission too, mostly because for the first time the CMP had serious work to do while the LM was on the surface.

I love how Conrad was known for having a very, uh, "adult" dialect and scared the PR departments with the idea of him going on live TV while on the Moon. 

It was actually Bean who slipped more during the EVA's. 

Some people on the ground were used to working with Conrad's language and got driven to tears laughing when he forced himself to replace curses with words like "thingamabob" 

And the "excrements" word and the laughing and joking when they realized they made it :D

I wonder why Pete Conrad used excrements word when they landed, i think the NASA did not make good with soaping Pete Conrad mouth :D I wonder why he cured any way they landed better than any other Apollo mission? 

On 24 February 2016 at 7:35 PM, Nikolai said:

Absolutely my favorite Moon mission.  How could it not be, with "It's upside-down" Conrad as commander?

Yeah - I don't think the psychologists were too impressed with that one. :)

45 minutes ago, SubzeroSpartan7 said:

Ok, I really want to watch these EVAs now. I hope I can find them on YouTube.

That, as it turns out, was one of the glitches in Apollo 12 -- Al Bean accidentally pointed the camera at the Sun and fried it.  TV networks didn't know how to handle it.  One of them -- CBS, I think? -- opted to use marionettes to simulate what was happening on the lunar surface (as best as could be made out by listening to the comms).  You can see some of that in this video here:

16 minutes ago, Nikolai said:

That, as it turns out, was one of the glitches in Apollo 12 -- Al Bean accidentally pointed the camera at the Sun and fried it.  TV networks didn't know how to handle it.  One of them -- CBS, I think? -- opted to use marionettes to simulate what was happening on the lunar surface (as best as could be made out by listening to the comms).  You can see some of that in this video here:

That's a quite a bit of dedication, compared to a few decades later:

I embedded at the proper timestamp, just watch 30 seconds or so.

As soon as the orbiter touches down and before it even comes to a stop they're like "Okay and now to SPORTS!" They can't wait to break away from this boring manned spaceflight stuff..

PS, I really like how From the Earth to the Moon allowed us to get a glimps of the less documented apollo missions and really show their contributions. Especially Apollo 12. ;)

Edited by Buster Charlie
PS

25 minutes ago, Nikolai said:

Oh yeah that's right. I forgt about that detail. Are there audio recordings though?

35 minutes ago, SubzeroSpartan7 said:

Oh yeah that's right. I forgt about that detail. Are there audio recordings though?

Of course! However the Lunar surface journal is better than a video/audio recording could ever be if you don't mind reading. The actual events took quite a while and there are many stretches of silence (i.e. cabin depressurization). Also the journal includes explanations as to what's happening.

Edited by KerbonautInTraining
Fix'd link

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.