Plane Contest

PLANE CONTEST

Hello, I'm making a little contest with the FASTEST , COOLEST , BIGGEST , STRANGEST planes you have ever build.

RULES:

1. Every participant can have no more than five planes, so choose your best ones!

2. After submitting your planes I will choose between 0-100 points. You can vote for every plane but not yours.

3. Post a screenshot of the plane with it's name, highest speed on the navball and different abilities. (screenshot: F2)

If there's anything you want to ask you should ask me in the comments section!

Wish you luck!

So, I've got some planes from WW1 and earlier, as well as one from the interwar period. They aren't fast or big by any means, but they are pretty cool, and I take pride in how maneuverable they are.

These are all stock, by the way.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

DG4B "Sprint"

9cc73FO.png

It's fast. Can clock 315m/s in a straightaway.

y7NrypR.png

It seats 5. It has science for observations, transmission capabilities, and even a drogue chute for high-speed landings.

QaSbZgV.png

It can fly upside down for extended periods of time. It's ceiling is about 10k, but this can be improved. Its tanks (Unlike the DG4A "Sprint") allow it to fly all the way around the world uninterrupted, continuously, without refueling.

Download: https://sites.google.com/site/gimbalscrafts/craft-repository/spaceplanes

35 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

WRONG

SECTIONNNNNNNNN!!!!

RELEASE THE ADMIN

This will get you in trouble. Please, for your own good, change it to something nice.

Edited by AlextheBodacious

This is the coolest single plane that I ever made in the game. But that was almost a year ago. It no longer functions in the current version of KSP.

Go to 3:30 In this video to see awesome shots of it.

Edited by Jon144

Here's my entry: an unusual fighter-heavy bomber built for war, the F/A/B-41 Taurus. It's an ugly beast, but it can do almost any role in aerial warfare, and can do quite well in each area. Designed with simplicity and compatibility in mind, the only mod required for this airplane is BDArmory, to provide weaponry

(Right click and open each image in a new tab/window for full resolution photos)

BE7A42031397158B7DD2EB7258063CC493610F60

Powered by ten panther engines and a single whiplash engine, It can achieve a top speed of ~820 m/s at 18500 m. Thanks to its large fuel tanks and high-altitude efficiency, the plane can go over 3/4 of the way around Kerbin on it's own fuel reserves at 23000 m with a velocity of 760 m/s (In the pictures below, it was not fully refueled prior to take off). At sea level (not pictured), it can achieve a top speed of ~350 m/s, and can safely make full power turns at that velocity and altitude, being able to withstand upwards of 26.5 gees of force.

Spoiler

1FBA6C3B2FEEF0729AA52EA11DFE1141EC0E69C3

177FEF06B95F2F31FACB41B6BD929AD172D7B478

F3DA4A69D8DA7D1BFD91F016CE2665D4743A7311

The plane has been able to achieve over 500 m/s in a high-altitude dive, but it has not been able to withstand full power turns above ~420 m/s

In a heavy-bomber configuration, carrying in this case 48 mk82 500 lb bombs, it can maintain a completely vertical climb at low altitude and achieve a speed of ~250 m/s at 15000 m. More weapons can be mounted inside its bomb bay and on the wings through installation of more missile mounts, but for my computer's sake, it only has the amount mentioned above.

Spoiler

F3BF58E948DE9EF16E9DBA8E16177DFBE9A647EE

7B28451CFF324765679CFFDF17D9FC981AE6CB5D

81A221ADE9B1EB4EC57C58E7162DF1DE0DAA439E

In a fighter configuration, it has extremely high maneuverability for an aircraft of its size and weight (~46 tons empty), meaning it is not completely helpless against smaller, more nimble aircraft. The perception of it's slowness can lead to quite a bit of shock for the enemy!

Spoiler

EBFADCEAD96C4D6EAC6FF3BAA17E1387365C83B4

20A75A2426EBE0B02B37986B49A6177BB65CACFB

And finally, thanks to its GAU-8 Avenger gatling gun, unusually high maneuverability, and large wing area, it can also serve as a terrifying ground-attack aircraft.

The Taurus's sheer size, mass and wing area means you don't have to be limited to only one kind of weapon. You can mount on eight BRRRRRRRTTTs (GAU-8's) at once and the craft will still be reasonably maneuverable. Or you can deck the wings with over 16 missiles or bombs, or have all options (Bombs, missiles, guns, rockets, lasers, etc.) on the aircraft. Just make sure you don't overkill your CPU in the process. And don't think it can't do non-combat roles; it can be modified for aerial reconnaissance or strategic airlifting.

All in all, this ugly duckling gives meaning to the phrase "They told me I can be anything". It is a well-balanced aerial war machine for those of us who like having options

Edited by drtricky

20 hours ago, AlextheBodacious said:

DG4B "Sprint"

9cc73FO.png

It's fast. Can clock 315m/s in a straightaway.

y7NrypR.png

It seats 5. It has science for observations, transmission capabilities, and even a drogue chute for high-speed landings.

QaSbZgV.png

It can fly upside down for extended periods of time. It's ceiling is about 10k, but this can be improved. Its tanks (Unlike the DG4A "Sprint") allow it to fly all the way around the world uninterrupted, continuously, without refueling.

Download: https://sites.google.com/site/gimbalscrafts/craft-repository/spaceplanes

This will get you in trouble. Please, for your own good, change it to something nice.

okey

1 hour ago, Kerbal Beetle said:

Just one little question, how do you insert a photo from your computer?

Unfortunately.... You can't. :( You have to upload the images to a host website such as Imgur, or what I use is funkyimg.com.  Then you click on "insert other media" and then "Insert image from URL". Then copy the image's URL into the menu that pops up and hit Ok. Then your image will appear in your post.

Hope that helps.

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

MBB LAMPYRIDAE (ENTRY 1)

Top Speed:

1000 meters: 102 m/s

5000 meters: 379 m/s

10,000 meters: 976 m/s

20,000 meters: 512 m/s

It has supermaneuverability, which means it can maneuver pretty much on a dime, so it's very hard to hit.

It is also quite pretty, and has a custom cockpit

Although, it needs a lot of electricity to fly.

Edited by He_162

21 hours ago, Jon144 said:

This is the coolest single plane that I ever made in the game. But that was almost a year ago. It no longer functions in the current version of KSP.

Go to 3:30 In this video to see awesome shots of it.

Kenny Loggins!
(turns volume knob down)
Well ... you're proud of it, seems worth it, update it already!

Edited by Azimech

1 minute ago, Azimech said:

Kenny Loggins!
(finds volume knob)
Well ... you're proud of it, seems worth it, update it already!

You think I haven't tried? I've been trying each time KSP is updated. So much with it just doesn't work anymore. If anything it needs an entire re-make. But yeah. Fond memories!

Edited by Jon144

Just now, Jon144 said:

You think I haven't tried? I've been trying each time KSP is updated. So much with it just doesn't work anymore. If anything it needs an entire re-make. But yeah. Fond memories!

What are the problems you're encountering? Ah ... new aero for a start ... right?

Just now, Azimech said:

What are the problems you're encountering? Ah ... new aero for a start ... right?

Exactly. On top of it the models of most of it's parts have been completely changed like the engines. And the entire substructure is just totally outdated and should never belong in any professional craft these days. It's still ironic though how it is more parts than my current Mega-Truck. I'll be making a new plane inspired by it. But it's just too much of a dinosaur at this point. It is still kind of flyable though if you're really curious.

3 minutes ago, Jon144 said:

Exactly. On top of it the models of most of it's parts have been completely changed like the engines. And the entire substructure is just totally outdated and should never belong in any professional craft these days. It's still ironic though how it is more parts than my current Mega-Truck. I'll be making a new plane inspired by it. But it's just too much of a dinosaur at this point. It is still kind of flyable though if you're really curious.

Actually I am. Yes, I sometimes miss 0.90 as well. Can't get my old turboshaft birds flying at all. At least I still have 0.90 on my HD so sometimes I take them for a spin.

1 minute ago, Azimech said:

Actually I am. Yes, I sometimes miss 0.90 as well. Can't get my old turboshaft birds flying at all. At least I still have 0.90 on my HD so sometimes I take them for a spin.

I miss a lot of 0.90 as well. So much of my heard work was broken. Of course 1.0 has brought many new possibilities too and I am at least bringing back my Mega-Trucks. But I still miss not being able to drive or fly my most noteworthy legendary and nostalgic crafts. My hard-drive with all my KSP backups died so I no longer have my old versions of KSP. I used to have backups all the way from .20 

2 minutes ago, Jon144 said:

I miss a lot of 0.90 as well. So much of my heard work was broken. Of course 1.0 has brought many new possibilities too and I am at least bringing back my Mega-Trucks. But I still miss not being able to drive or fly my most noteworthy legendary and nostalgic crafts. My hard-drive with all my KSP backups died so I no longer have my old versions of KSP. I used to have backups all the way from .20 

Ohw man that's a pain. It's like paintings ... one's own creations are small pieces of art. I'm glad I still have all installs since 0.16 but sometimes I'm worried as well ... did I make enough backups.

Anyway, if your plane is online, I'd love a link :-)

32 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Ohw man that's a pain. It's like paintings ... one's own creations are small pieces of art. I'm glad I still have all installs since 0.16 but sometimes I'm worried as well ... did I make enough backups.

Anyway, if your plane is online, I'd love a link :-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.