[1.1.3] B737 MK3 Cockpit Interior with working systems, buttons and displays

DeputyLOL

Hi all. This is the first time I've actually released a mod so I'm sorry if I have messed something up.

This would be the place where I put all the really awesome screen shots of the cockpit in action...

Pictures are of earlier versions of cockpit. Some features were removed from the download because they were not finished.

First off, huge thanks to MOARdv and Alexustas for helping me with this, I couldn't have got it this far without them. Alexustas made most of the models so you should probably checkout his ALCOR mod for people who prefer rockets!

Over the past year I've been working on an IVA cockpit for space planes. The interior is modelled after the Boeing 737 and includes some of the function that the real plane has. (adjusted for the limitation and physics of KSP).

What I've come up with is a MK3 cockpit crammed full of gizmos and gadgets to "make flying safer and easier".

! PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD !
This mod isn't finished, it is nowhere near finished. But it was playable for me and I wanted to share it. It is in very early stages so there
WILL BE BUGS and missing features.
This is the first time I've done this so please let me know if I've done something wrong and what I need to do to correct it.
This is also the first time the mod will be used on other computers, so I don't even know if it will work. Please let me know if it doesn't.

Download --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/n16rs1wn4ed05j3/KSP_AdvancedCockpit.zip?dl=0 <-- v0.4

Instruction Manual --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/c11apju3ntexdd1/Koeing%20737%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf?dl=0 < -- v0.1
IF YOU WANT TO USE THE PREMADE AIRCRAFT INCLUDED IN THE ZIP YOU NEED DOWNLOAD THE MODS IN THE README DOC
(looks at the readme document for how to install)
Please post in the forums of any problems or bugs you may encounter.

Raster Prop Monitor is REQUIRED
Pilot Assistant is RECOMMENDED so the autopilot and auto throttle works.
FAR is RECOMMENDED so that the flaps and speed brakes work as well as the stall and over speed alarms.
NAVUtilities + Hotfix is RECOMMENDED so that the inboard displays are useful and to enable the ILS.
I am using the MK3 Mini Expansion Pack for exterior cockpit model, it is not needed as the model for it is included.

Change log:

Spoiler

Change log v0.4

- Altimeter
 - New minimums system. Can be set with 'MINS' dial on EFIS. Toggle between Radio and Baro mins with select button. Minimums will appear on altitude bar if set to baro.
 - ISFD now uses altitude in feet.
 - Now goes up to 48000ft. Will display a flag when the altitude bars range is exceeded or it fails in a different way.
 - Altitude will flash amber to make it even more difficult to miss altitude deviation.

- Airspeed
 - Max/Min manuvering speed bars on PFD. The amber 'hooks' on the speed bar warn when you are approaching a stall or overspeed.
 - The bars get bigger with altitude to simulate 'coffin corner'.
 - Airspeed will flash amber to make it even more difficult to miss when it gets too low or too high.

- Brakes and landing Gear
 - Autobrake Settings. Changing autobrake settings changes the brake force for all landing gears. Setting the switch to 'OFF' turns off autobrake and sets brakes to 100.
 - Landing gear lights now show actual gear position instead of gear lever position. When they are red the gear is moving or up when it shouldn't be.
 - There is now a circuit braker for the gear warning horn so you don't have to keep silencing it by the button.
 - Much more annoying gear warning horn.

- Master Caution/Warnings
 - Full 'Six Pack'. There isn't really a use for all of the lights.. yet.
 - Press the master caution button to test.
 - All warning lights have been redone to make them look better and more realistic. The exception to this is the Takeoff config and Cabin Altitude.
 - New warning lights added.

- Cabin Altitude
 - Can set to Normal, Alternate or Manual. If normal fails set to alternate, if both normal and alternate fail, set to manual and dont exceed 10000ft.
 - If cabin altitude exceeds 10000ft. An alarm will sound.
 - New cabin altitude gauge, shows cabin altitude and differential pressure.

- Engines
 - Thrust reversers now can be toggled by the cockpit.
 - Thrust reversers can only be toggled when the aircraft is on the ground and the throttle levers are at idle.
 - Pulling the thrust reverser will set thrust to max and deploy the... thrust reversers.#
 - Stowing the lever cuts thurst and stows... the thrust reversers.
 - A green 'REV' is displayed on the engine display when thrust reversers are deployed.

- GPWS
 - Removed 'PULL UP' lights.
 - Revert revert to old GPWS voice.
 - GPWS should now overlap less.
 - Should be more likely to catch altitude call outs while descending quickly.
 - Bugs fixed.... maybe.

- Extras
 - Early stages 'SYS' page on centre MFD. Shows control surface deflection. (WIP)
 - A more realistic looking overhead panel.
 - New sound effect when speed brakes are automatically deployed on touch down.
 - Yaw Damper gauge.
 - Better flap gauge.
 - PFD has been cleaned up to be easier to read and nicer to look at.
 - Engine Display will warn if flaps or spoiler are missing.

- Fixes
 - Autopilot fixes. Speed mode should toggle speed, not heading. Autothrottle should turn off when its told to.
 - Complete overhaul of props to use new RPM Callback animator. Should improve performance significantly.
 - Standby compass is no longer upside down. Its still difficult to read.
 - Other stuff that I've forgotten

- Things Missing/No longer availible.
 - Seatbelt and no smoking lights no longer work.
 - No more VSpeeds on the speed bar.

Windows 10 allows you to record game play! So I have put some testing clips on youtube;

Early Versions:
Test of GPWS - https://youtu.be/kdxZZipxh0o
"Successful" landing attempt - https://youtu.be/gQvCmVi98GY
Super High Tech Radio - https://youtu.be/Fnq0DD7Cz54
Using the autopilot - https://youtu.be/_YHyhlosrw0
Landing with autopilot - https://youtu.be/5dzBMHgx9go

Just to be clear, I was focused on trying to show off as many features as possible, not really flying the plane. The result of that is the crash that happened in the end.

CURRENT AND PLANNED FEATURES:

• Realistic PFD with altitude, airspeed (knots), heading and attitude.
    Also displays/Will display;
    - pitch limit
    - stall speeds/overspeed speeds
    - Flight Director (Roll works, pitch doesn't)
    - Radar altitude
    - Localizer + G/S (early stages)
    - Autopilot mode (when the autopilot is finished)
    - Vertical speed is coming soon.
  • A "functioning" autopilot! Very early stages. (needs Pilot Assistant)
    Which can;
    - Maintain a set heading.
    - Maintain a set altitude/vertical speed.
    - Maintain a set speed.
    - Turn off on its own when the plane is in an uncomfortable position. E.g. When you lose power, stall or experience too many G forces!
    Which will (hopefully);
    - Perform ILS landings
    - Follow a flight plan
    - Follow waypoints
    Can be turned off, or partially turned on so that you can control pitch while the autopilot control heading and speed.
    Also comes with CWS! which is the B737s equivalent of SAS!
  • Flaps and Spoilers! (needs FAR)
  • GPWS that uses real world alarms for real world reason. (basically I spent way too long working on this)
    - Will warn you if you are descending too quickly (SINK RATE)
    - Will warn if the ground seems to be rising faster than you are (TERRAIN TERRAIN)
    - Will warn if you are too close to the ground but not in landing configuration (TOO LOW TERRAIN/GEAR/FLAPS)
    - Will warn if you bank to much (BANK ANGLE)
    - Will warn if you lose altitude after take-off (DONT SINK)
    - Will give you altitude callouts and warn when you are reaching your minimums.
    - Warns you when you descend below glide slope (GLIDE SLOPE)
    - And switches to turn the alarms off if you fancy some aerobatics!
  • Some automatic systems that make landing easier;
    - Auto-brakes (brakes are turned on when the plane hits the ground with gear down and thrust at idle or reverse)
    - Auto-spoilers (same as above but with the spoilers)
  • A radio. Currently only 3 channels, serves no purpose except for listening to it (will add more channels in future) (pushed back until further notice)
  • Lots of buttons, switches and levers that do useful stuff!

It's not finished yet and still has lots of issues and I want other peoples opinions on it.

Are you interested? Have suggestions? Let me know what you think!

Edited by DeputyLOL
v0.4

• 1 month later...

Can you please give a text and video explanation of how to get the planes to at least start? Right now as of writing this I am on the runway, trying to figure out how to start the engines. I have no idea what I am doing and would like some guidance, which would in turn help other people who are stuck. This mod deserves more popularity because it is absolutely fantastic!

10 hours ago, >The Amazing Spy< said:

Can you please give a text and video explanation of how to get the planes to at least start? Right now as of writing this I am on the runway, trying to figure out how to start the engines. I have no idea what I am doing and would like some guidance, which would in turn help other people who are stuck. This mod deserves more popularity because it is absolutely fantastic!

You bring up an excellent point. I made the mod so I know what every thing does. I didn't consider what it would be like for new users. I'll get a tutorial up asap.

Edited by DeputyLOL

13 hours ago, >The Amazing Spy< said:

Done, instructions on DropBox.

Hope you enjoy.
The pictures are from a more recent version of the cockpit so some things may be missing or not in the 0.2 version. :D

I know you already have an autopilot system, but could you add functionality with Kramax Autopilot? It's basically Pilot Assistant but with flight plans and auto landings. You could even integrate it with the existing autopilot. Because some people (me) are HORRIBLE at flying ;)

EDIT 1: I can't get Dropbox to work.

EDIT 2: Fixed

Edited by >The Amazing Spy<
Fixed

Also, could you start organising some things such as the warning lights and some switches so they're in a good position and maybe bring the quadrant forward a little so the engine fuel cut-off is a bit more visible. AND I REALLY REALLY REALLY WHEELY WANT DAT RADIO! You're so amazing at this!

17 hours ago, >The Amazing Spy< said:

I know you already have an autopilot system, but could you add functionality with Kramax Autopilot? It's basically Pilot Assistant but with flight plans and auto landings. You could even integrate it with the existing autopilot. Because some people (me) are HORRIBLE at flying

Yeah I wanted to use Kramax autopilot but it didn't have some of the functions that pilot assistant had. It also isn't compatible with RPM at the moment. I will switch to using Kramax if:

1 The Kramax mod is updated for KSP 1.1

2 The Kramax mod contains all the features that pilot assist has (air speed in knots)

3 Kramax mod is compatible with RPM.

4 Kramax includes options to have presets that toggle some of the features on/off. Eg automatic landing gear

I don't want to have to use PA and Kramax together as the autopilot is complicated enough as it is.

Edited by DeputyLOL

14 hours ago, >The Amazing Spy< said:

Also, could you start organising some things such as the warning lights and some switches so they're in a good position and maybe bring the quadrant forward a little so the engine fuel cut-off is a bit more visible. AND I REALLY REALLY REALLY WHEELY WANT DAT RADIO! You're so amazing at this!

It's an alpha...... The lights I do have are in roughly the place they would be in the real thing.

I know about the throttle problem, the issue is that the cockpit itself is too narrow. Meaning the kerbal a hands clip into the throttle. The current work around is to make sure there is a female kerbal in the captains seat as they have smaller hands.

Its also the reason I removed the radio. You couldn't reach it and it wasn't finished.  It also doesn't provide any usefulness currently. It WILL be on the next version.

But I don't think I'll be able to make the next version until 1.1 is released as I'm using a new version of unity, KSP and RPM. But I can confirm that I finally got a working ILS(NavUtilites was updated), the cockpit is wider so the throttles are accessible and if certain features are added to RPM I "MIGHT" be able to make  some sort of auto land system. Rest assured that the new version is coming Soon™.

PS. How did you find the instruction manual?

Edited by DeputyLOL

Could you pwetty pweash make a Boeing 727 IVA as a side-project? I would do it, if I could get Unity and Parttools to work :( But maybe you could assist me, because I really like the 727. I'm thinking of using an IVA from Ven's Stock Revamp but maybe you know a 2.5m cockpit that looks more like it. Once my internet connection is fine again I'm going to download Unity and start experimenting if I can get it to work. Could you make a Boeing 737 plane that uses Mk3 Passenger Cabin things and not cargo bays?

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:25 AM, >The Amazing Spy< said:

Could you pwetty pweash make a Boeing 727 IVA as a side-project? I would do it, if I could get Unity and Parttools to work :( But maybe you could assist me, because I really like the 727. I'm thinking of using an IVA from Ven's Stock Revamp but maybe you know a 2.5m cockpit that looks more like it. Once my internet connection is fine again I'm going to download Unity and start experimenting if I can get it to work. Could you make a Boeing 737 plane that uses Mk3 Passenger Cabin things and not cargo bays?

I might consider it. I have a lot more knowledge and insight of the 737 as it is the most popular plane on earth, I would have to do some research of the 727. I was considering doing the 717 first but I'll see how it goes. 

As for the passenger variant. Why not try make it yourself. The cockpit can be used on anything as long as it has flaps and spoilers. (If FAR is installed). The problem is that if you go into IVA of any of the passenger cabins, the entire cockpit (including autopilot) will shut down until you go back into cockpit IVA. This is a bug with RPM and I suspect that the issue is going to be too difficult to fix. 

EDIT: Nope! RPM fixed that and now it works a treat!

Edited by DeputyLOL

Ah. I'm not that good at big planes but I do know a fair thing or two on small business jets (Learjet 75 etc) and maybe I could practice on a cockpit. All I need is to find out how to setup Unity and PartTools on mac and I should be good to go. You are incredible at all of this, I hope all the mods this supports fix their problems so you can expand upon your current systems. This is by far one of the best cockpits I have ever seen :)

Update News:

There will be an update coming very soon™ that will add a whole bunch of new features and compatibility with KSP 1.1.
Things to look forward to;
- Instruments now read altitude in FEET instead of meters, like the real thing. (let me know your thoughts on this).
The reason why I wanted to transition to feet is because the real plane uses feet. (there will be the option to display altitude in meters as well)
- An ILS with the variables taken from NavUtilities, meaning that you can select the runway/glideslope and the ILS is more accurate.
- More nostalgic GPWS voice. :D (let me know if you want the other one back).
- Started to arrange the overhead panel. There are now lots of confusing looking switches but most of them are dummies (the ones that aren't will be labelled)
- Basic autopilot usage for people without pilot assistant. (Altitude bug/alert and roll Flight Director for heading)
- A wider cockpit so the kerbals hands aren't blocking the controls.
- Seatbelts signs and switches. The MK3 passenger cabin will be equipped with seatbelt signs (and possibly no smoking signs) that can be turned on and off from the cockpit. It can also be set to automatic so that it turns on by itself when the plane is below 5000ft. 
These are only some of the changes.

The thing that I am currently stuck on is building a plane that can actually fly properly without needing to use TweakScale...
Let me know your thoughts and any last minute additions that i might be able to squeeze into the next update!

- Instruments now read altitude in FEET instead of meters, like the real thing. (let me know your thoughts on this).

PLEASE make this an option, most countries  use the metric system and reading stuff in feet is super annoying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.