Greatest Achievement

Kosmonaut

To date, I think my proudest moments, or the things I'm most proud of doing, are A) Docking, because it opens up many ways of doing missions and creating space stations and whatnot, and B) Efficiently traveling to other planets. I used to use perhaps the most inefficient method ever before I realized you can do your burns inside Kerbin's SOI and save a ton of delta-V.

26 minutes ago, Sir_Robert said:

Currently, sending a sucessfull mission to Duna with life support. And while it hasn't left for home yet, initial calculations show it has only 100 m/s deltaV more than it needs to get home

I hope it has 3+ years worth of life support too, mine had 3.5 years life support and it only had 6 days left when it was recovered. They had like 3000 science too.

1 hour ago, Mastikator said:

I hope it has 3+ years worth of life support too, mine had 3.5 years life support and it only had 6 days left when it was recovered. They had like 3000 science too.

It should have enough yes. I'm using USI Life Support, and that one gives you a timer showing exactly how long you have. Also it doesn't kill the Kerbals, it turns them into tourists when the food runs out. So in the worst case scenario, I can still use the onboard probe body to get them home. Although I won't be able to do any mid flight corrections in that cause, because I'll be to far from the relay satellites

I'd say my greatest achievement is either getting probes in orbit of Duna and Eve, using the worst methods possible. Or when I built my Minmus space station, with a lab and ISRU and everything. It was about to start full mining operation before I screwed it up and the (full) ore tanks and part of my mining lander got flung off into oblivion.

2 hours ago, Sputnik 1 said:

After Valentina got stuck on Ike I used the remaining fuel to pilot her down to Duna's surface and launched a probe to go pick her up, the mission was successful and Valentina was returned safely to Kerbin. 

But wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to have that probe land on and take of from Ike?

Landing on the Mun, rendezvous and docking, and successfully landing on Duna with maybe enough fuel to achieve orbit(A new update came soon after and I am one of those who likes to start fresh with the big new updates, so I never put what I had to the test)

Small colony on Laythe including a surface outpost with rover and lab, an orbital station with plenty of fuel, and a spaceplane for traveling between the two. (This was several versions ago; the spaceplane wouldn't work at all with 1.0's aerodynamics, but it was fun while it lasted.)

I've been posting this pictures a lot so excuse me but landing a MiG 15 on the Mun is something I only could do once (no saves, hate that)

Weird to do, landing a plane reversed...:confused:

Not a SSTO...

5J6qMBx.png

txf4bSG.png

Yes, I had enough fuel to get home.

^_^

Edited by Triop

The orbital insertion of my first VTV (Vertical Takeoff Vehicle, AKA Buran copy):

GruU7iL.png

It was so damn hard to do properly, it was undersized, imbalanced, impossibly hard to fly (Had to use MechJeb to follow trajectory and manually balance it w/ thrust limiter), but hey - here it was. 

Or maybe one of my later orbiters, designed to have as little footprint as possible. 

wUWr8mn.png

Funnily enough, this particular one was flown by Luzor Kerman :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.