Command Pod Variety

JEF_300

I want to spend a moment talking about command pods. There are currently two in the game... and that's it. The most popular and reliable method of getting into and leaving space for the past 50 years and the forseeable future, and it's represented in KSP by a mere 2 parts. There are 3 cockpits for crying out loud, and this is Kerbal SPACE Program. This needs to change (at least on my install)

So I thought,"Ok, no problem. I'll just go over to the forums and find the mod pack of only Command Pods that surely exists!"

...and now I'm here. My request is simple: More Command Pods! Preferably stockalike with IVAs at some point. I'm not looking for suggestion for currently existing mods as I've seen "most" of them already, though I won't turn any down.

Some Ideas Bellow:

"Advanced" mk1 pod. It always seemed odd to me that when I building a vessel destined for Eeloo, the breadbox with the tiny window and mis-matched paint job is still one of the better options. This pod would be essentially a mk1 pod with a white paint job and better (more Gemini?) window.

Simple mk 1-2 redesign. Put the door in a nice place, clean up the textures, etc.

Long 2 crew pod. This would be a 1.25 meter capsule that's extra long so it can seat 2 kerbals in a row, F-4/F-14 style.

Wide 2 crew pod. This would be a 2.5 meter part with 2 kerbals sitting in it side by side, like in the top seats of the mk 1-2. There's already a mod that does this well, so that's not really a priority.

4 crew Pod

5 crew Pod

Many crew pod

Round pods

Uniquely shaped pods

etc.

My MOLE mod does a couple of things: it adds a "Backseat" pod that fits onto the back of the stock Mk1, and I'm building a Gemini-like 1.875m pod:

ohg4RgC.jpg

Other mods offer command pods as well, such as the 3.75m Taurus:

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by Angel-125

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

My MOLE mod does a couple of things: it adds a "Backseat" pod that fits onto the back of the stock Mk1, and I'm building a Gemini-like 1.875m pod:

ohg4RgC.jpg

Other mods offer command pods as well, such as the 3.75m Taurus:

Hope that helps. :)

I really do like it, but I need to limit myself when it comes to mods (it gets bad when I don't), so I'd prefer not download any others parts mods, and to really take advantage of that pod I'd need 1.875m parts. I suppose I could take the pod and shrink it down and make it 1 Kerbal in the .cfg, but then the IVA wouldn't fit. Thanks anyway; It really is a nice pod.

Edited by JEF_300

1 hour ago, Nightside said:

I know about getting carried away with mods, but remember you don't have to take the whole mod just to get pods you're looking for. Nertea's Near Future Space Craft offers 2 great looking pods in the 2.5 and 3.75 size and only minimal other stuff.

I know, but that pod was 1.875m, which means I would've needed other mods to really use it. I'll check those out, thanks.

If Tantares doesn't have the pods for you, something's up. It's a large mod, sure, but it's also fairly memory-light. You've got replica pods, including at least one long 2 crew one, a wide 2 crew one, an intermediate 3-crew one with parts to match, AND you've got many, many other station parts! 

I use the Nertea mod mentioned above as well as

The K2 works in 1.05, the only issue is that if by itself will sink when landed in water because of the new buoyancy code (probably a quick cfg hack can remedy this tho). If you need to conserve resources you can also just keep the parts you want from a mod pack and ditch the rest as long as you are careful to keep the required texture, model, and cfg. Module manager is pretty smart about grabbing stuff.

55 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I use the Nertea mod mentioned above as well as

The K2 works in 1.05, the only issue is that if by itself will sink when landed in water because of the new buoyancy code (probably a quick cfg hack can remedy this tho). If you need to conserve resources you can also just keep the parts you want from a mod pack and ditch the rest as long as you are careful to keep the required texture, model, and cfg. Module manager is pretty smart about grabbing stuff.

Maybe it's just me, but the K2 doesn't look stockalike at all to me, so I don't use it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.