Sign in to follow this  
Daveroski

In Game Newspaper Suggestion

Recommended Posts

I would like to propose that in Career Mode when a mission is over, success or failure be presented in the form of a newspaper screen.

It could come spinning into view like in the old 60's television shows.

The headline would be regarding the failed or completed mission and the sidebars could contain information on the status of current ongoing missions.

If only for such as rescues and 'world firsts' I think it would add a level of entertainment.

I don't think it would be that difficult to add a little detail, ship's name, Kerbal in command any easy data collectable upon completion or failure, so that you will actually be reading about 'your' mission and not just a standard screen that quickly becomes boring and so clicked through.

Perhaps most useful of all could be information about future launch windows presented as a query - Are the boys at KSP are going to take advantage of it on such and such date?

I was thinking when I splashed down the other day that there should be a ship or ships waiting for me just add to the realism a bit. but I figured that there would be not much chance you chaps would go for that so I thought maybe a news headline would be doable.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is a mission though? The only in game stock mission tracker we have is contracts. And with the exception of the grand tour style contracts, those don't make missions.

So first we'd need actual mission style contracts (or something else. The Strategia mod does something like this with it's program strategies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Sir_Robert said:

What is a mission though? The only in game stock mission tracker we have is contracts. And with the exception of the grand tour style contracts, those don't make missions.

So first we'd need actual mission style contracts (or something else. The Strategia mod does something like this with it's program strategies

Oh I don't know.. how about;

Launching your first rocket and getting data (News headline)

Any and all of the world firsts and getting data (News headline)

Getting into space and getting data (News headline)

Getting into orbit and getting data (News headline)

Flying past the Mun and getting data (News headline)

Flying past Mimnus and getting data (News headline)

Orbiting the Mun and getting data (News headline)

Orbiting Mimnus and getting data (News headline)

Landing on the Mun and getting data (News headline)

Landing on Mimnus and getting data (News headline)

Collecting non kerbin samples (News headline)

Flying past Duna and getting data (News headline)

Orbiting Duna and getting data (News headline)

Landing on Duna and getting data (News headline)

Normally I'd go through all the planets, moons and even mention Kerbol and the asteroids but frankly it's too much work.

Any time you launch a vessel and all command parts for that vessel are destroyed Mission Failed (News headline)

What's a mission? Really?

Even with the current (admittedly greatly unsatisfactory) system this would work and generally make the game more fun to play and more informative. They could even add bits from the new Encyclopedia Kebinnia that they have apparently completed (more or less)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess I should have explained it more obviously:
What does the game CLASSIFY as a mission? Currently, there is no such thing as a mission in the game. There are milestones, which it seems is what you actually mean.

So now that we have established that you mean milestones and not missions: When would this trigger? When you recover the relevant ship? When you get back to KSC? Right at the moment the milestone triggers? They are already acknowledged through the message system, so what would these newspapers add? Personally I don't pay any attention to the milestone messages, why would a newspaper be any different? Most people would probably click out of them instantly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest improving the already-implemented information screen rather than replacing it altogether. It has potential; people only click through it because it isn't informative enough.

You can tell me there's a bullet wound in the victim, but it means que dalle if I don't know who did it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Daveroski said:

I would like to propose that in Career Mode when a mission is over, success or failure be presented in the form of a newspaper screen.

It could come spinning into view like in the old 60's television shows.

The headline would be regarding the failed or completed mission and the sidebars could contain information on the status of current ongoing missions.

If only for such as rescues and 'world firsts' I think it would add a level of entertainment.

I don't think it would be that difficult to add a little detail, ship's name, Kerbal in command any easy data collectable upon completion or failure, so that you will actually be reading about 'your' mission and not just a standard screen that quickly becomes boring and so clicked through.

Perhaps most useful of all could be information about future launch windows presented as a query - Are the boys at KSP are going to take advantage of it on such and such date?

I was thinking when I splashed down the other day that there should be a ship or ships waiting for me just add to the realism a bit. but I figured that there would be not much chance you chaps would go for that so I thought maybe a news headline would be doable.

 

But what defines a success, failure, mission, or objective.

Yea you can get to orbit, but what if Jeb EXPLODES upon re-entry? What if that was YOUR GOAL. The game currently wont judge your failure (Or evil success) it just gives you data upon return. The headlines would obviously pick the death of a Kerbal, but what if you don't care? They are expendable to you, all your headlines would be terrible and basically become spam to a very sadistic player.

I also don't see how this "news headline" would become any better than a boring standard screen. It still gives you the jist of what you literally just did, but with a generic news twist to it. I'd like more hard data to review my flight than visual flaunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alas I have only imagination and positive attitude to work with. These are subroutines of life and unfortunately not everyone gets the GOSUB for them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea, especially if it were presented like "Science" magazine. I especially like the part about mentioning launch windows, or maybe some eminent scientists has proposed that a launch on such and such date could get a flyby of EVE if launched retrograde to Kerbins orbit.

A science magazine could easily report the crews unfortunate demise as fact, just as the current mission end screen does. Don't forget that screen calls it a "Catastrophic Failure"...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GOSUB... That's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.

The newspaper idea reminds me of SimCity2000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, AbacusWizard said:

GOSUB... That's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.

The newspaper idea reminds me of SimCity2000.

Ah happy days eh?

Back when the objective was to write your code as small and efficiently as possible and blowing your own EPROMS was something to be proud of.

Glad you like the idea.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I support the idea. KSP desperately needs some content that's outside the simulator itself. So far we only have Kerbals going "aha!".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

I support the idea. KSP desperately needs some content that's outside the simulator itself. So far we only have Kerbals going "aha!".

You know that it could be construed that the "aha!" is part of the simulation but then a newspaper which reflected all this reputation you earn (or lose) and gave meaningful data such as upcoming launch windows, could also be construed as being part of the simulation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this