Maya?

Caithloki

So I have been using blender a bit, and I don't mind using it since it is the majority used tool by most people, but I have been wondering does it matter if I use maya and export out the correct file type that blender does? I am more comfortable in maya then blender and it feels less clunky at times.

5 minutes ago, Caithloki said:

So I have been using blender a bit, and I don't mind using it since it is the majority used tool by most people, but I have been wondering does it matter if I use maya and export out the correct file type that blender does? I am more comfortable in maya then blender and it feels less clunky at times.

I use Maya and export as .dae. It works fine. :)

DAE is a long dead format, has not seen a new versions since 2008; it still works okay for static geometry. 

whatever exports FBX is good. Unity will accept OBJ and maybe 3DS as well.

Get the free edu license if you plan to use Max or Maya.

Blender is defacto recommendation here because there are many more Blender users here than other tools (Max, Maya, LW, etc) combined, and it's much easier for someone to get help if they use Blender too.

Edited by nli2work

26 minutes ago, nli2work said:

DAE is a long dead format, has not seen a new versions since 2008; it still works okay for static geometry. 

whatever exports FBX is good. Unity will accept OBJ and maybe 3DS as well.

Get the free edu license if you plan to use Max or Maya.

Blender is defacto recommendation here because there are many more Blender users here than other tools (Max, Maya, LW, etc) combined, and it's much easier for someone to get help if they use Blender too.

I remember there was a reason I used dae over fbx but I can't remember why. I think it's something of a 'whatever works' situation.

With Dae not being used much anymore does that not mean I need to create a collider item for the object anymore? Do I just need to add a physics mesh to the item in unity, I have been doing that as of late in unity to the main item but the collider I never really touched in unity except to remove the mesh render. To be honest I am confused by its purpose and any tutorials I find are either out dated or for blender.

4 minutes ago, Caithloki said:

With Dae not being used much anymore does that not mean I need to create a collider item for the object anymore? Do I just need to add a physics mesh to the item in unity, I have been doing that as of late in unity to the main item but the collider I never really touched in unity except to remove the mesh render. To be honest I am confused by its purpose and any tutorials I find are either out dated or for blender.

No, you should still create a GREATLY simplified version of the object to use as the collider, and export it separately. I add it to an empty using the mesh collider... uh, node? in Unity. That way you can position it independent of the object if you have to tweak its position or scale.

Another question, if say I made this part in Maya.

8k4ENXX.jpg

Would it be better to have all animated parts in their own import or as one part? As in the drill head, drill body and two doors all in this case.

Edited by Caithloki

There are a few who use maya here on the forums. Daishi(universal storage) uses it and some others. Iwe tested it out myself and its a pretty good package. There is no reason you cant use it for ksp modeling.

For the question in the latest post its probably best to do a single export/import of all objects to unity.

.Fbx is recommended. .Obj would be the second choice. 

Edited by landeTLS

On 2/27/2016 at 0:10 AM, Caithloki said:

okay, My main concern is say the double doors, have frame 31-60 for the left side then 61 to 90 for the left door, then a second set for closing?

Well... do you mean left and right doors? I think you could basically just do 0-60. 0-30 is the left door, 31-60 is the right. Don't need to have separate closing animations, because the animation module can just reverse it instead.

I was confused on the way the animation worked with doors when I asked that, I have them opening at the same time, so having two separate animation chunks for the right and left doors is not needed, if I want them independent I would need to do the 1-30 and 31 to 60 option.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.