[WIP] Mk 1 Fighter Cockpits

Mallikas

Here's a set of fighter jet cockpits for your kerbals to fly around in.

Contains four parts, Eurofighter Typhoon, Trainer Cockpit, Tandem S39 Cockpit and Inline Interceptor Cockpit.

Uses RPM props and modules.

Download:

http://spacedock.info/mod/658/Aviation%20Cockpits?ga=%3CGame+3102+%27Kerbal+Space+Program%27%3E

Future plans:

1. Make stock and ASET- versions of interiors

2. Make more jet- and prop plane cockpits

Feel free to rate, criticize and make suggestions.

Licence: CC BY 4.0

Edited by Mallikas

1 hour ago, tyburius said:

Nice cockpit ! :) Well done for a WIP

Thanks, i think the textures and modelling are good enough, but the hud will probably be replaced with a better one. I think i might also try making some custom props, like action group buttons, airspeed indicators and pitch and roll gauges.

35 minutes ago, Hellbrand said:

Neat, do they both have RPM iva's ? or just the one?

They both have RPM props, like the displays and switches. They both also have RPM module that allows greater field of view by letting you look behind you.

1 hour ago, Mallikas said:

Thanks, i think the textures and modelling are good enough, but the hud will probably be replaced with a better one. I think i might also try making some custom props, like action group buttons, airspeed indicators and pitch and roll gauges.

They both have RPM props, like the displays and switches. They both also have RPM module that allows greater field of view by letting you look behind you.

Have you seen ASET props and Avoinics? Link in my sig.  They may have the props you want. Either way nice job good looking cockpits. :) 

2 hours ago, Svm420 said:

Have you seen ASET props and Avoinics? Link in my sig.  They may have the props you want. Either way nice job good looking cockpits. :) 

This, for sure. Those ASET props are not just pretty, they're completely functional, and allow an IVA pilot access to a whole host of right-click menus and action group commands from within the cockpit.

Looking forward to trying these out! @Mallikas -- any chance of a shot of the "other" cockpit? Or do they look so similar that I can't tell? :)

Edited by Beetlecat

42 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

This, for sure. Those ASET props are not just pretty, they're completely functional, and allow an IVA pilot access to a whole host of right-click menus and action group commands from within the cockpit.

Looking forward to trying these out! @Mallikas -- any chance of a shot of the "other" cockpit? Or do they look so similar that I can't tell? :)

The album does have pics of both cockpits, IVA and outside. One cockpit has intakes underneath and the other has dark area around the canopy.

IVA wise, the eurofighter has RPM displays and "the other" (Can't think of a good name!) is purely analog.

I was a bit worried they looked too similiar when i was making them.:P 

Also you can try them out right now by following the download link

Edited by Mallikas

Just now, Mallikas said:

The album does have pics of both cockpits, IVA and outside. One cockpit has intakes underneath and the other has dark area around the canopy.

IVA wise, the eurofighter has RPM displays and "the other" (Can't think of a good name!) is purely analog.

I was a bit worried they looked too similiar when i was making them.:P 

I see them now! Thank you. They both look good.

The other cockpit is picture #6, right? I couldn't see the intakes due to the canards on that aircraft design.

23 hours ago, Svm420 said:

Yeah, will definitely look at using ASET props in the future.

19 hours ago, MightyDarkStar said:

I'm in love with these!

Suggestion: WWII bubble canopy cockpits?

spitfirexviwp_7.jpg

p-47-thunderbolt-greenhouse-and-bubble-c

This is something we don't really have yet, or at least at the latest game build.

I might try making p-51, fw190 or some other cool looking ww 2 aircraft later, but finishing the current cockpits is more important now.

Very nice! I concur ASET plus RPM is the way to go with IVA.

Given the high likelihood these will be used with BD Armory, .cfgs or MM patches that incorporate the BDA AI, weapon manager and radome functions would be greatly appreciated!

:0 these look amazing. For a first upload you're pretty skilled. keep it up.

Also im a +1 for ww2 canopies :)

Edit: instead if an inline cockpit, do a canopy like retrofuture that is a radial addon with the streamline tail behind the glass too.

Edited by boontze

These are awesome! Keep up the good work.

-

Just a suggestion, but it would be nice to see some tandem (two-seat) cockpits, more in-line with the Alenia/Aermacchi M-346 Master

M-346-2-706x471.jpg

or the SEPECAT Jaguar T2 

1096742.jpg

Edited by AirShark
pictures

Hi guys, sorry for not responding to the thread for so long, i've been a bit lazy in that regard :P

I've mostly worked on the new hud lately, but i ran into some problems making it work and i'm away from my main computer so i cant show you any pics of it right now.

Meanwhile i made progress on some new cockpits to pass the time:

Obviously WIP (like the everything else i've made so far!)

The bubble canopy will indeed be radial, based on f8f bearcat, it's the most finished of the lot.

L-159-like 2-seater tandem cockpit.

Inline pod, inspired of Panavia Tornado.

No progress on ASET internals, though they should be pretty quick to do when i get around to it.

Still a loads of work to do before next update.

3 hours ago, Mallikas said:

Hi guys, sorry for not responding to the thread for so long, i've been a bit lazy in that regard :P

I've mostly worked on the new hud lately, but i ran into some problems making it work and i'm away from my main computer so i cant show you any pics of it right now.

Meanwhile i made progress on some new cockpits to pass the time:

Obviously WIP (like the everything else i've made so far!)

The bubble canopy will indeed be radial, based on f8f bearcat, it's the most finished of the lot.

L-159-like 2-seater tandem cockpit.

Inline pod, inspired of Panavia Tornado.

No progress on ASET internals, though they should be pretty quick to do when i get around to it.

Still a loads of work to do before next update.

The New Cockpits will add to a new variety to the command pods. Good Job! 

Will you add more of the Tandem Seats in the future? I have a nack for two seat fighters such as the Phantom.

F-4B_VMFA-314_1968.jpg

Very nice looking! I tried this out, it does seem that for whatever reason FAR isnt voxeling this correctly. It thinks the cross section drops to nothing wherever the canopy is, leading to some problems with area ruling and the like. Dunno if its a model issue or not....

• 2 weeks later...

I too am in need of tandem seats! and Am quite looking forward to when you can resume modding, I also look forward to a release compatible with 1.1 when it fully drops! also think a side by side seat would be possible?

Edited by Hellbrand

On 12.3.2016 at 5:21 AM, inkwell said:

Very nice looking! I tried this out, it does seem that for whatever reason FAR isnt voxeling this correctly. It thinks the cross section drops to nothing wherever the canopy is, leading to some problems with area ruling and the like. Dunno if its a model issue or not....

I think this is caused by bad colliders, i will look at them for the next release.

On 2.4.2016 at 2:33 PM, Hellbrand said:

I too am in need of tandem seats! and Am quite looking forward to when you can resume modding, I also look forward to a release compatible with 1.1 when it fully drops! also think a side by side seat would be possible?

I've been making models and textures this whole time, the new cockpits are starting to look quite nice. Hopefully when the patch comes it wont take me too long to put them in game since they'll be all ready.

I'm not sure how side by side seat cockpit would work in Mk1 form, and i already got some pods planned for the future. I might still consider it.

Also, since the Bearcat cockpit is radial, this mod will stop being Mk1 Cockpits and will need a new cool name, "Fighter cockpits" is bit too generic i think. :P

Anyone got any ideas?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.