[WIP] Mk 1 Fighter Cockpits

Mallikas

Aviation Cockpits sounds mighty fine, i guess i'll make a release thread when 1.1 comes.

In the meantime here's how the tandem cockpit is looking:

I tried to make the new cockpits higher quality than the original two. Also i'll add the new Iva transparency function so it'll look nice and stuff.

Edited by Mallikas

@Mallikas

That looks great! Nice work! Please consider looking at RL cockpit layout when it comes time for ASET. Too many just throw props all over the place willy nilly. Placement is key to ease of use so please try to mimic a RL layout when you do ASET they can make a cockpit incredible when placed properly. I know that an IVA long ways down the road especially with ASET, but want to chime in early as well as admire that model. ;) Seriously love that cockpit!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Mallikas: I just downloaded the mod, the cockpits look great!

One thing though, FAR fails to voxelize the canopies on both parts (the Eurofighter has other issues with FAR as well), leading to very rough shifts in cross sectional area which makes the cockpits bad for anything above low/mid subsonic.

I've seen this before, and I think it has to to with how the models are created - you may want to talk to Ferram about this if you want to make them compatible with FAR.

Edit: I posted some pictures of it in the FAR thread:

Hope you will decide to make your mod compatible with FAR in the future, it's too cool not to be used with FAR.

Edited by ThorBeorn

On 4/3/2016 at 2:07 PM, Mallikas said:

I think this is caused by bad colliders, i will look at them for the next release.

I've been making models and textures this whole time, the new cockpits are starting to look quite nice. Hopefully when the patch comes it wont take me too long to put them in game since they'll be all ready.

I'm not sure how side by side seat cockpit would work in Mk1 form, and i already got some pods planned for the future. I might still consider it.

Also, since the Bearcat cockpit is radial, this mod will stop being Mk1 Cockpits and will need a new cool name, "Fighter cockpits" is bit too generic i think. :P

Anyone got any ideas?

Why don't you name it something that is Unique like Mallikas Aerospace Defense Manufacturing? Idk I am just spitballin rn. 

On 30.4.2016 at 6:08 PM, ThorBeorn said:

@Mallikas: I just downloaded the mod, the cockpits look great!

One thing though, FAR fails to voxelize the canopies on both parts (the Eurofighter has other issues with FAR as well), leading to very rough shifts in cross sectional area which makes the cockpits bad for anything above low/mid subsonic.

I've seen this before, and I think it has to to with how the models are created - you may want to talk to Ferram about this if you want to make them compatible with FAR.

Edit: I posted some pictures of it in the FAR thread:

Hope you will decide to make your mod compatible with FAR in the future, it's too cool not to be used with FAR.

Hey, thanks for taking time to look into this for me. The bug was caused by FAR not liking how i made the colliders simply by copying the hull and adding convex mesh collider component, so it apparently was left open where the canopy is. I know, super lazy. I fixed it awhile ago and the new cockpits seem to voxelize correctly.

I've been working on new internal props for now and today got them all done, so all i have to do is litter the IVA's with them and we're done. Only problem is that some ended a bit too small for the kerbal heads. I'm hoping nobody will notice...:wink:

Also the Bearcat cockpit will not make this release because i'm dumb.

14 hours ago, CaptainCreeper56 said:

Why don't you name it something that is Unique like Mallikas Aerospace Defense Manufacturing? Idk I am just spitballin rn. 

I'll try to come up with something.

Edited by Mallikas

Aaayy, i finished everything and made a release thread, go there now:

Also:

I know i said i would mimic real planes for cockpit layout and not throw the props all over the place, but i ended up throwing them all over the place anyway.

I also was supposed to come up with a name, but i didn't actually think of anything at all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/1/2016 at 8:32 AM, Azura said:

When I make a plane with the Mk1 Inline Cockpit it says "This vessel has no remote-controlled or manned commands modules. It won't be controllable", and I cannot fly the plane :c

have you put kerbals in the cockpit?

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.