[1.4.X] SM Armory Group. See Note First post Ref BDA 1.2.2.2

SpannerMonkey(smce)

Hello everybody. 

I am soo excited this mod has been updated, I haven't used it before, but it looks awesome.

I do, however, have a problem(?). All of the parts in this mod, and SM Armory too, are named as "#autoLOC_SMIndustries_*A bunch of numbers*".

Possibly important information is that I do not have the SMIndustries folder, as I did not see a 1.4.3 update for it.

Help is greatly appreciated.

(This is only my second time asking this kind of question, I apologise if I have left out important info. If so, please let me know and I will provide ASAP)

14 minutes ago, kspplayer100 said:

when i load into the game the parts appear but the names are messed up i am not using bd armory 1.2 i am using the 1.4, version is this the cause of the bug or is there another reason.

Messed up? I guarantee it's because you did not install the localization.

33 minutes ago, XOC2008 said:

Messed up? I guarantee it's because you did not install the localization.

Installed it and the names are still messed up one name is #autoLOC_SMIndustries_6000028

Edited by kspplayer100

On 5/13/2018 at 2:20 AM, kspplayer100 said:

Installed it and the names are still messed up one name is #autoLOC_SMIndustries_6000028

Hi, you have either failed to or messed up the installation of SM Industries The versions currently released are no different than my local versions and as such they will if installed correctly work perfectly.  If you in any doubts as to how to install I shall explain below

extract the SM Industries folder from the zip archive

Place the SM Industries folder , complete into KSP/GameData

The same process can be used for all the uploaded mods.

All mods should be extracted from the zip folder and the mods folder  placed into KSP/ GameData.  Do not move files or folders within any of the mods and do not install to another location. 

See below typical GameData folder contents, note how they are arranged note the folder names . This is how  my mods should look when installed correctly

Spoiler

ORSEkyA.png

when installed correctly each mod will have a category that covers it  and will display and icon, as below in the part editor window
lkTvvrf.png?1

Should your problem persist  a zipped copy of your KSP.Log will be needed to identify your problem.

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Thanks, and tanks on the moon is great , until that is you fire  the gun, at which point you find yourself in a very low unpredictable orbit :)

Hehe I mentioned it exactely because odf the absurdity of a tank being brought as payload on a moon mission. Still,  a classic. Actually,  giving all the mods out there, I am surpsised nobody thought of the tintin moon rocket yet.

Damn, this is a pretty damn amazing collection. Got the Guns&Missile package together with your ships, and that's about everything I feel I'd ever need for BDA^^'

The weapon selections is a bit overwhelming, probably even for a dev. Would it be helpful if I point out bugs or inconsistencies that I notice?

Eg the AK-100/130 turrets (super fun stuff b!) seem a bit big compared to all other guns, while  a lot of the cruise missiles like the UMG-109b Tomahawk and RGM-84-18FS Harpoon don't seem to follow a correct cruise missile flight path, often crushing into the sea (3M54T Kalibr and Brimstone Sea work perfectly in comparision). Or the Aster 30, which has a tendency to melt. Stealthy 155mm gun crushes my framerate from 80 to 25 sdomehow.

Edited by Temeter

1 hour ago, Temeter said:

Eg the AK-100/130 turrets (super fun stuff b!) seem a bit big compared to all other gun

Hi, it's actually the other way around, the other guns are mostly too small, ( as originally it was all kerb sized)  as there's been a change in development focus. The turrets mentioned are full size, along with many of the other new items, they are intended for use on an as yet unreleased but similarly fulls size project, at which point , some of the size choices will make more sense.
Re the missiles, they've all been recently retuned (again) and follow the flight path as available, the failing to reach target leads to think that something else, maybe an old patch is messing with the guidance . We will investigate this end though.
Never had any problems with the AGS turret so that also needs investigating .

3 hours ago, Temeter said:

a lot of the cruise missiles like the UMG-109b Tomahawk and RGM-84-18FS Harpoon don't seem to follow a correct cruise missile flight path

I'll do some testing later, and see if there is any issue with them.

I did some of the tuning for those... I think, but it was months ago when I was a missile tuning n00b :P

Edited by TheKurgan

7 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, it's actually the other way around, the other guns are mostly too small, ( as originally it was all kerb sized)  as there's been a change in development focus. The turrets mentioned are full size, along with many of the other new items, they are intended for use on an as yet unreleased but similarly fulls size project, at which point , some of the size choices will make more sense.
Re the missiles, they've all been recently retuned (again) and follow the flight path as available, the failing to reach target leads to think that something else, maybe an old patch is messing with the guidance . We will investigate this end though.
Never had any problems with the AGS turret so that also needs investigating.

Ah, I wondered about the size being the other way round. That door does imply that the gun is pretty big.^^

Weird thing with the turret is that it instantly crushed the framerate when put onto my boat in SPH (and also ingame). Not when it's just transparent and unconnected.

6 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

I'll do some testing later, and see if there is any issue with them.

I did some of the tuning for those... I think, but it was months ago when I was a missile tuning n00b :P

Looking at the configs, the correctly working Brimstone Sea/Kalibr3m45t got homingtype = cruise and the UGM-109B got homingtype = aam. Seems like there are a bunch of (ship launched) cruise missiles that are not set to homingtype = cruise. Maybe that's the issue?

Seems like that's particuarly inconsistent between SM Armory missiles and SMI missiles and launchers. With the latter, almost all of them seem to be set to cruise.

Edited by Temeter

44 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Seems like there are a bunch of (ship launched) cruise missiles that are not set to homingtype = cruise. Maybe that's the issue?

A bunch? I think not... 

45 minutes ago, Temeter said:

the UGM-109B got homingtype = aam

Nice catch, that is an error, I'll have a look at it.

I don't think there are any others that are supposed to be set to cruise,  that actually aren't.

If you find one, please let us know.

@Temeter

I just loaded the cfg files for EVERY single missile, bomb and torpedo in all of SM mods into Notepad++.

The UGM-109B was the only one I found that had the wrong homing type. Thanks for finding that BTW.

Many of the others, like the   91RE1 and 91RTE2 Kalibr Anti Submarine Missiles, the Asrokish1, the RamoraMLT and the AGM-109H are set to either AAM or AGM by design. The first 4 are actually torpedoes, and the last one there is an air launched AGM.

Did you find any others with issues?

Edited by TheKurgan

5 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

@Temeter

I just loaded the cfg files for EVERY single missile, bomb and torpedo in all of SM mods into Notepad++.

The UGM-109B was the only one I found that had the wrong homing type. Thanks for finding that BTW.

Many of the others, like the   91RE1 and 91RTE2 Kalibr Anti Submarine Missiles, the Asrokish1, the RamoraMLT and the AGM-109H are set to either AAM or AGM by design. The first 4 are actually torpedoes, and the last one there is an air launched AGM.

Did you find any others with issues?

Hm, makes me wonder if I just used the others incorrectly^^

Gonna report back if I see some issue again.

@SpannerMonkey(smce) you pretty much floored me with the massive missile and launcher pack that I just found out about today on this forum.

Now that modders seem to be dispensing extremely complicated weaponry with relative speed, and in extremely copious quantities, I believe it is the correct time to question where you get the information for these complex pieces of technology, and just how much realism to you intend to put into them: do you perform extensive research on every missile you create, do you simply take an educated guess on the performance specs, or do you merely use the physics models of other missiles? Note that I respect and seriously like your work on KSP, and am in no way trying to insult you. I just never thought about this question before.

Edited by Matuchkin

5 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

@SpannerMonkey(smce) you pretty much floored me with the massive missile and launcher pack that I just found out about today on this forum.

Now that modders seem to be dispensing extremely complicated weaponry with relative speed, and in extremely copious quantities, I believe it is the correct time to question where you get the information for these complex pieces of technology, and just how much realism to you intend to put into them: do you perform extensive research on every missile you create, do you simply take an educated guess on the performance specs, or do you merely use the physics models of other missiles? Note that I respect and seriously like your work on KSP, and am in no way trying to insult you. I just never thought about this question before.

You can probably thank me and @TheKurganfor a lot of the missiles Spanner has put in this pack, since we basically tug on his shirt till he makes them. "Mr. Spanner, could you make a--". (Granted he wouldn't make them if they didn't interest him!) Between Spanner, TheKurgan, and myself, a lot of research goes into the missiles. Spanner alone does some pretty deep dives and I can neither confirm nor deny he may or may not have some hush hush you didn't hear it from me contacts to question about certain missile aspects. Other stats are pretty much easy to find and TheKurgan has spent a lot of time updating the tuning on these missiles as well as those from BDAc.

Edited by XOC2008

26 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

you pretty much floored me with the massive missile and launcher pack

22 minutes ago, XOC2008 said:

You can probably

Cheers and very much that /\ /\   the guys keep me fed with shiny things to look at , knowing that I'm a sucker for clever engineering.  It's fair to say though without the teams enthusiasm and assistance, most of it simply wouldn't be. (i'd just be making toys for me )  As for the research :ph34r:

40 minutes ago, XOC2008 said:

with relative speed, and in extremely copious quantities,

This is worthy of a PS,  SMI ML started being born about a year ago,  much of it was at the time on the edge and often beyond what BDA could do, so we erm cajoled the BDA goalposts , with the incredible assistance of the BDA coders, without who, ALL of this is just ornamental, until it all worked, but ah, see that was KSP updates ago, and KSP's goalpost moved, so things were changed , again and again, and more layers were added to the BDA onion. The full credits list is quite long and includes everyone on the BDA team as they've all had a hand in it.  Somewhere along the way the light bulb came one, and many things were made again, erm properly , there were dozens of tests , and it seems we can always squeeze a little more mileage next time. The team , who weren't already in mod making, mainly testers have been corrupted to the dark side, and @TheKurgan acquired missile tuning skills have made my life much easier. SO yeah relative is indeed relative, it took a good few bodies a long time .  And we haven't finished yet , oh no...

• 2 weeks later...