[1.12.x] KRASH - Kerbal Ramification Artificial Simulation Hub (simulation mod for KSP) - Cost settings have been change

linuxgurugamer

@linuxgurugamer

im posting the replay for your KCT tread Q

a number of tings

1- i got a filling that KRASH don't like KCT from my 1.1.3 days (see 2)
2- i got wat sims like a conflict, if i use KCT sim and KRASH without exiting the game bitewin uses (3 and 4 are guaranteed to happen if i use KCT sim and KRASH without restarting the game but they do happen even if i don't use KCT sim)

3- the bugs- it doesn't always revert correctly
a number of times i had to revert to an old save or edit the save file to allow me to save the game (no saving during a sim that didn't go away after the sim ended) ("auto save and screenshot" is not affected by KRASH, it makes saves even during a KRASH ban on saves)

4-i had a number of times gone in to sim mode spontaneously, see my posts above

5a- on occasion a rebalance of a mod will move a part to a new spot. then if i try to run a sim on an edit of a ship in construction KRASH wont allow it because i don't have the part.
5b- KCT allows more then 1 lunch pad at different levels. low level needs less time to get fixed after a lunch so i keep them in different levels. but if im on Launchpad level2 and want to sim a ship that needs a level 3 KRASH won't allow that. i need to exit, canceling my edits, chose the level3 pad and go back to the edit

edit:better spell checkr at work

Edited by danielboro

• 2 weeks later...

Wish item - if I load a vessel from another save and the "start sim" button is greyed-out / blocked, please give me a list of what parts are not yet unlocked.

(Sometimes KRASH, when I load a vessel from another save, will let me attempt to start the simulation and will then show me what parts are not yet unlocked.  Other times it figures out that it's an invalid vessel and won't give the the "start sim" button at all.  So I can't get feedback on what parts I'm missing.)

19 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

Wish item - if I load a vessel from another save and the "start sim" button is greyed-out / blocked, please give me a list of what parts are not yet unlocked.

(Sometimes KRASH, when I load a vessel from another save, will let me attempt to start the simulation and will then show me what parts are not yet unlocked.  Other times it figures out that it's an invalid vessel and won't give the the "start sim" button at all.  So I can't get feedback on what parts I'm missing.)

That's not KRASH, that's KSP, sorry

• 4 weeks later...

Wishlist: simulations could simplify some aspects of the flight, if possible and requested by the user, e.g.

1. Ignore mass and size restrictions (indestructible launch pad)
  2. Ignore atmospherical effects
  3. Disable part failures (Testflight - probably best handled in that mod)
  4. Disable AntennaRange/RemoteTech (latter already possible, but integration would be nice)
  5. Infinite RCS/Electricity, indestructible joints, hack gravity and friends

It'd be neat if simpler simulations also reduced cost (hacking gravity might actually increase it).

I'd help implementing the simpler items of those if desired.

Edit: woah, simulation costs can be insane with this mod. A very basic moon probe (1t to TLI) sim costs almost 50,000 kerupees from launchpad to just LEO in hard mode, while actually flying it all the way to the moon only costs 17,000 kerupees. Here's all the figures:

1. Launch mass: 436.8t
  2. Final mass (LEO): 4.8t
  3. Dry mass: 31.6t
  4. Parts: 86
  5. Simulation length: 10 min
  6. Launch costs: 16,795 √
  7. Sim setup: 1868 √ (2x normal)
  8. Vacuum sim: 1340 √/min (2x normal)
  9. Atmosphere sim: 6702 √/min (5x normal)
  10. Estimated total sim: Setup + 4 min x Atmosphere + 6 min x Vacuum = 47,500 √

Typical simulation costs are less than 10% of actual test flights for real aircrafts. With really low-tech computers, you might end up a little higher. But even hard mode in atmosphere shouldn't go much beyond that, certainly not 280 % of the launch costs for just a ten-minute flight to orbit on your home planet.

I know you can set it to whatever you like, but defaults should be reasonable IMHO.

Edit 2: I set up some ballpark numbers intended to be more realistic, mostly based on typical personnel cost and electric power usage, assuming that a kerupee is about 1000-2000 USD. I ramped up all per-minute cost by a factor of 50, as you'll likely run a lot less sims-inside-a-sim than you would run sims-in-real-life. The results feel quite reasonable for my crafts. There are no per-ton costs, as bigger is not necessarily more complex to simulate, and part costs capture part complexity pretty well. Note that setup costs make up the bulk of costs, as preparing all the data and software pieces for a simulation is much more effort than actually running that simulation.

KRASHCustom
{
  RO
  {
    description = Somewhat realistic costs with compensation for reduced playtime
    flatSetupCost = 5
    flatPerMinCost = 0.05
    perPartSetupCost = 0.3
    perPartPerMinCost = 0.001
    perTonSetupCost = 0
    perTonPerMinCost = 0
    percentSetupCost = 9
    percentPerMinCost = 0.05
    AtmoMultipler = 1
    TerminateAtSoiWithoutData = True
    TerminateAtLandWithoutData = True
    TerminateAtAtmoWithoutData = True
    ContinueIfNoCash = True
    DefaultMaxAllowableSimCost = 0
    DefaultSimTime = 15
  }
}

If you are playing plainstock without Realism Overhaul, Real Scale, Test Flight, Kerbal Construction Time and friends, you might want to ramp up per-minute costs by another factor of 10, as maneuvers are shorter and less testing is necessary in general.

Edited by cami

I recently came back to KSP after several months of letting all the dust settle after the 1.2.2 update.  Among other mods I use RemoteTech, KCT, KRASH, and KoS.  When I last played the 4 worked fine together.  Now, however, in my new career I've run into issues.  When my 1st orbit capable satellite got out of comm range KoS could no longer control the throttle or steering during the launch sim. I set up the terminal in KoS to display the THROTTLE variable and it was working as it should.  After spending hours trying to figure out the problem with the script to no avail, I finally fast forwarded the build and tried an actual launch.  Everything worked fine on the actual launch.  Not sure if the issue was with KoS or KRASH, but it seemed like KRASH wasn't taking into account that KoS had control and was locking out the ship controls once out of comm range.  Now that I know what the issue is I can work around it by testing my builds in career mode until I get my comm net up, but I thought I would put in my $0.02.  I enjoy your mod and appreciate the effort you must put in to it.

I like your mod, but I have suggestion for orbital simulation:

It would be nice if mean anomaly (or other variable controlling position) was adjusted on setting orbit, so we always see sunrise, when placing our ship on orbit.

This is bit annoying, when you are placed at night side.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, marchingknight11 said:

Suggestion: I'd like to be able to start my sim at a specific time in the future.  It's a little annoying when designing an interplanetary ship that it costs a ton to wait around for the transfer window.

To piggy back on that, it would be nice if when you were put into orbit you were always put on the daylight side of the planet. 

• 1 month later...

Would be great if this could integrate with the TestFlight API to do some things, at the very least an option to disable part failures during sims like KCT used to have.  You could additionally do more complex things like allow some test data to be acquired during sims but be capped, or allow disabling or triggering of specific failures.  You can do alot with the API :) 

https://github.com/KSP-RO/TestFlight/wiki/TestFlight-API-Reference-Documentation

On 5/15/2017 at 8:25 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Yes it would be nice.

Care to do the coding and post a PR?  I don't have time right now, sorry.  But, feel free to add it as an issue on github, if it isn't already there

I don't even play KSP anymore :) I brought it up because people have been bugging me about it ever since KCT stopped doing sims :(

On 5/15/2017 at 11:25 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Yes it would be nice.

Care to do the coding and post a PR?  I don't have time right now, sorry.  But, feel free to add it as an issue on github, if it isn't already there

25 minutes ago, Agathorn said:

I don't even play KSP anymore :) I brought it up because people have been bugging me about it ever since KCT stopped doing sims :(

I can maybe do it and submit a PR, but I might not get to it for a bit. At the very least I can do the basic "disable failures" that KCT had.

5 hours ago, magico13 said:

I can maybe do it and submit a PR, but I might not get to it for a bit. At the very least I can do the basic "disable failures" that KCT had.

I don't have a lot of time, but if you send me the code I need to tell KCP that a sim has started and ended, I may be able to get that in fairly quickly.

Please include code for detecting if KCT is installed or not as well.

Thx

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

if you send me the code I need to tell KCP that a sim has started and ended,

Do you mean KCT in this? KCT isn't involved at all with what we're talking about. I was just saying that I could try to add support for TestFlight like I did for KCT's simulations, within KRASH since you don't have time and I've done it before. KRASH is the simulation mod that KCT recommends, so it's only fair that I occasionally try to contribute to it.

I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to get to it (maybe tonight). I'll submit a PR if I get a chance to do it.

Edit: It's not quite good enough for a PR yet, but this works. I'm not 100% sure where to put things so they make sense. This just adds a toggle to the launch site UI that enables or disables TestFlight failures for all the parts on the active vessel for that flight. https://github.com/magico13/KRASH/commit/a81a5f6c92b65b0da3243dff9039029c314aec6f

Edited by magico13

It's possible to get stuck in the simulation running, even when you aren't running a simulation.  I believe that the repo steps are:

1. Create a craft in a different career
  2. Import that craft file into a new career
  3. Unlock the science node, but do not unlock at least one of the parts
  4. At this point, when loading the craft file in the VAB, it should show as a valid craft (no missing parts warnings)
  5. Attempt to start the simulation
  6. Get a warning that parts X, Y and Z are not yet unlocked

At this point, the "simulation active" message should be flashing at the top of the screen, while still inside the VAB.  In order to fix this, you have to go to a flight scene (I use one of my LEO comm sats), then use the Escape menu to terminate the simulation (which is a no-op at that point).

I'd like to offer a perhaps more natural sounding alternative to the original K.R.A.S.H. backronym 

Kerbal Result Analysis Simulation Harness (or Handler, also works)

just a brain fart - feel free to use it or not 

awesome mod btw - cheers!

Edited by Moach

I've had issue #17 Empty orbit Selection Window for a while now for many mod installs.  now that KCT is out I'm gonna try and find the culprit.  Did you find anything on it since the problem was posted?  If not thats ok I'll at least narrow it down to what file does it.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.5.23

Has something changed?  I'm not seeing the SIM button in the game.

Ah, think I found the issue:

CRhqoPW.png

Seeing the same thing in both Github and Spacedock downloads.

Edited by razark

16 minutes ago, razark said:

Has something changed?  I'm not seeing the SIM button in the game.

Ah, think I found the issue:

CRhqoPW.png

Seeing the same thing in both Github and Spacedock downloads.

Oh nuts. I'll get that fixed asap

Edit:  I've updated the files, please remove and reinstall it

Edited by linuxgurugamer

7 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I've updated the files, please remove and reinstall it

That was quick!  Reinstalled and restarting now.

I'm not sure, but is the "PluginData" also supposed to be a folder?