[1.12+] VX Series II Engine Pack Version 1.1.03 update - Final Update

Randazzo

Version 1.1.03 Final Update

As it has become clear that I will likely never have the time to get back into playing around with modding and modeling, I have released the new assets to the Public Domain.

USgrysZ.pngNcZxXhJ.png

1eU0r8N.pngtWenkWO.png

The next generation of VX series engines for the next generation of KSP

Download: Spacedock

Source: Unity Package
Mod Version 1.05 Public Domain Source: Unity Package

License: Public Domain

Album Link: http://imgur.com/a/VxvEl

Installation

Always delete old versions before installing a new one.

Drag the contents of the GameData folder in the .zip file into your local .../KSP/GameData/ folder

VX Series II is compatible with saves using engines from the original VX series engine pack, however some engine roles have been changed. The "impulse" and "Big Impulse" engines are most affected by these changes and I recommend not installing if you have missions in progress using these engines.

Whats New

• VXS20 Omicron particle effects have been adjusted. Engine effects should now better fit the nozzle.
  • VXS50 Sigma has completely new effects.
  • VXS100 Omega particle effects have also been adjusted to better suit the engine nozzle.

• The Omicron and Sigma engines have been modified so that thrust is being generated from the Monopropellant nozzles while in Monopropellant mode. Previously thrust was being generated from the location of the main nozzle in either mode. This was an oversight.
    • The "Impulse" and "Big Impulse" have been added as optional Legacy parts. The entire original VX series is still available for download, though it is no longer supported and will not be receiving updates. By adding these parts to this pack, I will continue to support them.

• Added custom Agency
    • Added custom Flag

• Updated for 1.2
    • Nova model revisited to correct engine bells gimbaling in opposite directions in 1.2

• License updated, link to source files added

• 1.0.5b
    • Added VX-H1 Hornet variants
    • Added custom suits
    • License updated to ARR while under development

• Multiple engine variants added
    • Most throttle animations updated
    • The VX-S20 Omicron and VX-S50 Sigma monoprop nozzles have been updated to function as RCS thrusters regardless of engine mode.

• Actually included the Nova engine
    • Minor Agent.cfg correction

• Omega model changes
      • adjusted engine bell geometry
      • minor cosmetic FX changes
      • added new compact variant with multiple fairings (1.25, 1.875, 2.5, 3.75)
      • added smoke fx
    • Hornet model changes
      • primarily housekeeping pass to simplify variant support - should be no noticeable changes
      • re-added smoke fx
    • Yet another minor fix for the Agents.cfg file
    • I also broke the VX-S20 bottom attach node, see top of post for MM patch to correct until next release

• Corrected VX-S20 bottom node
    • Updated license

Edited by Randazzo

Interesting!  I'll have to check this out in a new career save - I'm using far too many of the old flat impulse and big impulse engines in my current career to simply convert over.

If you don't mind me asking, why all the interest in dual mode stuff?  Is it a realism thing?

27 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

Interesting!  I'll have to check this out in a new career save - I'm using far too many of the old flat impulse and big impulse engines in my current career to simply convert over.

If you don't mind me asking, why all the interest in dual mode stuff?  Is it a realism thing?

Nah, just something neat to add. I gave the highly efficient service engines more appropriately sized nozzles for the sake of less ludicrousness.

Using the old impulse engines shouldn't break any saves or anything, it's just that the engines that replaced them are not nearly as efficient and may result in stranding a ship somewhere. Every engine that replaces something else fits the same form factor and attachment nodes to avoid breaking anything.

3 hours ago, Randazzo said:

Nah, just something neat to add. I gave the highly efficient service engines more appropriately sized nozzles for the sake of less ludicrousness.

Using the old impulse engines shouldn't break any saves or anything, it's just that the engines that replaced them are not nearly as efficient and may result in stranding a ship somewhere. Every engine that replaces something else fits the same form factor and attachment nodes to avoid breaking anything.

So Pegasus and Sleipnir replace the Impulse and Big Impulse?  Or do the Omicron and Sigma replace them?  If it's the latter, I have some landed probes with tiny landing legs that aren't going to reach the ground anymore.

I have a lot of parts packs but I default to using engines from this pack (well, the old one) and KW Rocketry, because I once read a guide about Cheap and Cheerful Rocket Building (by a certain @Norcalplanner) who recommended your parts, and I haven't looked back since. I just love the look of them, and the orbital engines are just solid (well, obviously not the Vadule, that thing is a tin can, but it's my favorite:lol:).

Glad to see this part pack back in action, currently about to head to the Mun with an Impulse; I'll hold off on an upgrade as per recommendation.

Cheers.

p.s. how do I tag someone in a post? I meant to tag NorcalPlanner, but I'm new to foruming;.;

--edit--

Now with tagging!

Edited by Deimos Rast
tagged

10 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

p.s. how do I tag someone in a post? I meant to tag NorcalPlanner, but I'm new to foruming;.;

type '@' and then start typing their name. A drop down list should come up, you need to make sure they're actually tagged with the blue background for it to work. You can't just type the name and keep going. The drop down list doesn't always appear for me.

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

type '@' and then start typing their name. A drop down list should come up, you need to make sure they're actually tagged with the blue background for it to work. You can't just type the name and keep going. The drop down list doesn't always appear for me.

Thanks, I just threw an @ in after the fact; it worked just now though. Sorry to hijack your thread @Randazzo with my newbiness!

Well, I successfully landed on the Mun...maybe a little too successfully. The Impulse was a hero to the very end, but someone didn't bring much fuel, and well, even the best made engine can only run on fumes for so long. Landed on a 45 degree slope, (usually MechJeb drives, heh), fuel ran out at about 100m or so. You'll note the bent up landing gear (Krash Systems mod) as I proceeded to tumble into this scenic, grey ravine. Your engine took no damage (that tilt is from the gimbal). Brought a co-pilot engineer who can repair all the damage (and did).

But hey, first Kerbal on the Mun, baby!

(Sorry for the over-exposure, had to adjust the ambient lighting.)

Cheers.

Bob, thinking to himself, "Maybe we should have upgraded to the VX Series II afterall..."

iYJ2Oov.png

Edited by Deimos Rast

Question about the "Pegasus" and "Sleipnir" lander engines: I notice they have multiple nozzles. Can you, mayhaps, implement differential throttling of those nozzles for pitch and yaw-control, and perhaps have the nozzles vector a little bit just for roll-control?

34 minutes ago, StevieC said:

Question about the "Pegasus" and "Sleipnir" lander engines: I notice they have multiple nozzles. Can you, mayhaps, implement differential throttling of those nozzles for pitch and yaw-control, and perhaps have the nozzles vector a little bit just for roll-control?

They already vector for roll control. Differential throttle is (as far as I know) not possible in 1.0.5

Well, I successfully landed on the Mun...maybe a little too successfully. The Impulse was a hero to the very end, but someone didn't bring much fuel, and well, even the best made engine can only run on fumes for so long. Landed on a 45 degree slope, (usually MechJeb drives, heh), fuel ran out at about 100m or so. You'll note the bent up landing gear (Krash Systems mod) as I proceeded to tumble into this scenic, grey ravine. Your engine took no damage (that tilt is from the gimbal). Brought a co-pilot engineer who can repair all the damage (and did).

But hey, first Kerbal on the Mun, baby!

(Sorry for the over-exposure, had to adjust the ambient lighting.)

Cheers.

Bob, thinking to himself, "Maybe we should have upgraded to the VX Series II afterall..."

iYJ2Oov.png

Congrats on the landing!

Now you've got to go rescue poor Bob. :)

Edited by Randazzo

3 hours ago, Randazzo said:

They already vector for roll control. Differential throttle is (as far as I know) not possible in 1.0.5

Congrats on the landing!

Now you've got to go rescue poor Bob. :)

Thanks! I'm playing with Dangit and Krash Systems, and so far there hasn't been much action from either; this was the first major mishap.

Also, @StevieCthere is a mod for differential throttling, titled "Differential Thrust" by DavonTC I believe. I've had it for a while now, never really tried it out much, but I'm pretty sure it works.

By the way, Randazzo, will you be putting up a new version of your Heating Mod? No rush real rush (I still have the old one); it's just that DMagic Orbital Science just keeps giving me contracts to visit the Sun:(.

13 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

By the way, Randazzo, will you be putting up a new version of your Heating Mod?

Yes, and no. Here's a bit of an explanation: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/114845-wip-vanguard-astrodynamics-update-regarding-released-mods/

There will be a Heat Management mod. It will be different than the existing version.

Edited by Randazzo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, NotAgain said:

Does the mod support RealPlume or have any configs for it? I'm going to download it anyway, but RP configs would be amazing. But if not, no worries.

No RealPlume configs, personally, I'd love to see this get RealPlume compatibility!

5 hours ago, NotAgain said:

Does the mod support RealPlume or have any configs for it? I'm going to download it anyway, but RP configs would be amazing. But if not, no worries.

3 hours ago, ultraviolet150 said:

No RealPlume configs, personally, I'd love to see this get RealPlume compatibility!

I'll have a look at adding it. I seem to recall it was fairly painless for Custom Clusters.

Might be a week or two though.

12 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

might be able to manage that if you'd like. :wink:

Thanks for offering, but I'm sure I can swing it. Just a matter of sitting down at a computer that actually belongs to me and actually doing it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.