Methane Rocketry! Update 0.6 Released! [14/8/2016] [1.1.3]

Joco223

@Joco223 I'm rather interested in methane fuel for KSP, but I was wondering to reduce part count and for simplicity; wouldn't Interstellar Fuel Switcher be something you could add?

I was personally looking into it for my own use but couldn't figure out the correct volume proportions for methane to make a good fuel switch cfg.

7 minutes ago, Gkirmathal said:

@Joco223 if it is not too much trouble, it would be great if you can add it :)

Was trying out if I could've add methane for a dual mode NTR, Nertea's NTR engine models lend very well for for it I think.

That's is a good idea. Probably in the update 0.6 i will add some NTR engines for various diameters, and make a patch so the stock NTR can use methane :)

EDIT

Would NTR have higher thrust/lower isp in methane mod or less thrust/more isp?

Edited by Joco223

Higher TW if i'm correct, if a NEVRA had 825 isp it would have had somewhere in the region of ~600isp on methane and ~450isp on NH4. There are some good sources to be found on google, regretfully I hadn't bookmarked them :(

Some info:
Interplanetary transportation » Nuclear rocket

This was the thread, old one, which had a lot of info:

Space Science & Technology » Fluorine

Edited by Gkirmathal

So, i have been working on textures for the next update, and i finished the 3.75m Upper Engine just to see what would it look like. Comparison. Left is old one, right is new one

F97KoLVz.png

I think that the newer texture is a lot better, and i will probably make other engines, maybe tanks, with this texture scheme. Maybe i'll change some colors to be a bit darker on the new texture. Btw, there is a texture on the new one, a metal-like one, but it's very smoothed out. What do you think people? Old Or New? 

Edited by Joco223

Sorry guys, I had some work irl so i did not really have time to work on Methane Rocketry. As i see, people really like the mod, so i have started to do some better models for engines and tanks. I have started working on a new model for the 2.5m lower stage engine. Basic modeling finished, just the shadowing and texturing left

0FTYTI0.png

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Looking good! Personally, I find that I'm always improving my texturing technique, and I keep going back to tweak old parts to match.

I feel like that same situation is starting to develop on HotContents too.

Joco223 is pretty good at making these models. It's great that I have someone who kind of knows what they're doing on my mod.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3-3-2016 at 6:01 PM, Gkirmathal said:

@Joco223 I'm rather interested in methane fuel for KSP, but I was wondering to reduce part count and for simplicity; wouldn't Interstellar Fuel Switcher be something you could add?

I was personally looking into it for my own use but couldn't figure out the correct volume proportions for methane to make a good fuel switch cfg.

Actualy, I'm looking into this right now. I was hoping to create a mod that combines IFS  with WarezCrawler  EngineSwitcher to create which add several popular engine mods to stock engines, including Methane - Oxygen. It would be nice if someone can turn it in a more universal Stock alike Propulsion Engine mods which would sit between stock and RealFuels

Edited by FreeThinker

6 hours ago, mark7 said:

Anything?

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Actualy, I'm looking into this right now. I was hoping to create a mod that combines IFS  with WarezCrawler  EngineSwitcher to create which add several popular engine mods to stock engines, including Methane - Oxygen. It would be nice if someone can turn it in a more universal Stock alike Propulsion Engine mods which would sit between stock and RealFuels

Sorry everybody for not updating this thread. I have finals right now and i did not really have time  for updating this mod. Maybe a week more and i will be able to release some remodeled engines, and maybe fix the 3.75m engines because they are a bit wonky for now and i do not really like how they look. Stay tuned! :wink:

29 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

Sorry everybody for not updating this thread. I have finals right now and i did not really have time  for updating this mod. Maybe a week more and i will be able to release some remodeled engines, and maybe fix the 3.75m engines because they are a bit wonky for now and i do not really like how they look. Stay tuned! :wink:

Well good to hear you're still working on it! :) 

7 hours ago, Joco223 said:

glad to hear that. Good luck of your finals!

• 3 months later...

So everyone, once again, i am sorry that i have not been updating this thread and maintaining this mod. I had a lot of IRL stuff to do and was also moving. But, this mod is not dead yet :D

http://imgur.com/a/tyT2p

These models are all new  and are currently in a process of transferring to KSP and balancing. This update will only contain new 2.5m parts so i don't keep you all waiting. Update will go live soon :wink:

(Umm... How do i embed a imgur album? Wasn't there a button that looked like letter I  ?)

Edited by Joco223

2 hours ago, Joco223 said:

(Umm... How do i embed a imgur album? Wasn't there a button that looked like letter I  ?)

There is a button on the bottom of the post that says Insert other media.

Looking forward to checking out the new parts!

Very nice looking mod, I'm exited to see more of it :D A suggestion from my side would be an implementation of interstellar fuel switch so you won't have to do more tanks and can focus on the more interesting parts. That's only a suggestion, of course. If you'd like to make methane tanks, sure, go ahead! Anyways, good luck with your mod and keep up the good work!

1 hour ago, ZentroCatson said:

Very nice looking mod, I'm exited to see more of it :D A suggestion from my side would be an implementation of interstellar fuel switch so you won't have to do more tanks and can focus on the more interesting parts. That's only a suggestion, of course. If you'd like to make methane tanks, sure, go ahead! Anyways, good luck with your mod and keep up the good work!

Thanks, i was thinking about doing something like that, but i don't really know how well would my engines fit with stock parts

4 hours ago, Joco223 said:

Thanks, i was thinking about doing something like that, but i don't really know how well would my engines fit with stock parts

I would be careful with that direction then. If they don't look right with other parts, a significant (though, not all. Possibly even a minority) amount of people will avoid them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.