[1.1.2] Orbital Utility Vehicle v1.2.4

nli2work

Removing the command seat would remove the point of the part. It's a command seat with other stuff on it. not a grappler with command seat. It's easy enough to stack a disc probe on the back node... or add this to the config node_stack_top2 = 0, 0.87, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1; the pods will fit over the seat. I'll shrink down the roll bars a bit so they don't poke out slightly.

Edited by nli2work

@nli2work, great idea this GrappleJr.!

For those who use TakeCommand to launch kerbals directly on the seats, it doesn't take the GrappleJr into account. So I made this MM patch to fix it:

@PART[OrbitalGrapplerJR]:FOR[TakeCommand]
{
    CrewCapacity = 1
    MODULE
    {
        name = TakeCommand
        minimumCrew = 1
    }
    INTERNAL
    {
          name = GenericSpace1
    }
}

If someone knows how to change this patch to automatically work with all external command seats, it would be nice to post it on TakeCommand's thread...

30 minutes ago, jlcarneiro said:

@nli2work, I'm playing with GrapplerJr and was wondering: it has a decouple action. I tried it and it emits the decouple effects (sound and visual) but I can't identify what does it decouple from...

decouples from radial attachment point.

8 hours ago, nli2work said:

it can surface or stack attach. if surface attached, the decoupler will detach it from the vessel.

Thanks! As I said, I played with it last night:

• I had to hit the debris I intended to deorbit at least at 2m/s. Isn't it too hard? Shouldn't it grapple with less force?
  • What's your suggestion on grappling a rotating part? I could grapple and deorbit a slow rotating pod but could not do it to a slightly faster cockpit.

Thanks once again for your great work!

50 minutes ago, jlcarneiro said:
  • I had to hit the debris I intended to deorbit at least at 2m/s. Isn't it too hard? Shouldn't it grapple with less force?
  • What's your suggestion on grappling a rotating part? I could grapple and deorbit a slow rotating pod but could not do it to a slightly faster cockpit.

speed is usually not a problem anything less than 3m/s should stick. the angle to the surface is harder, especially for a spinning piece... it's at +/- 15 degrees right now I think. I originally saw it was a construction tool with KAS/KIS with it's container, you pack the parts you need, then stick yourself at the work location. since kerbal is still considered EVA while in the command seat, saves the hassle of EVA and boarding the part when you have to reposition or restock on parts.

grabbing rotating part? I'd probably just remove it from flight tracker... or timewarp a wee bit to stop the rotation? although with the new deploy limit slider... a manual controlled claw is possible... hm... interesting idea.

v1.2.1

adjusted Grappler JR grapple angle to +/- 60 degrees.
added EVA tether (KAS winch) for Grappler JR. part; will load if KAS present
added mid stack node for attaching command parts instead of using external command seat.
specified controlTransforms for all docking/grappler parts, should be transparent in game. 

also due to small bug in KSP, don't use grappler units as Root part. 

Edited by nli2work

@nli2work it looks like the attach rules were changed for the Grappler JR in the most recent update and no longer allows for node attaching.

1.2.1 -  attachRules = 0,1,1,1,0 

1.2 -     attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0 

Was this intentional or inadvertent? 

Edited by Tarheel1999

No problem, I just wanted to flag it for you if it was a mistake. I fixed the config in my install.

PS.  I love this mod and have been using it a lot for orbital construction and orbital tugs.  I really love the consolidation of the various modules into single parts which helps immensely with part counts on large stations. Thanks for creating it and maintaining it.

Edited by Tarheel1999

OK, I started messing around with this and really like the idea.  However, I encountered a few issues.

• Neither of the "pusher" adapters has any attachment nodes unless it's the 1st part of the ship.  Which means you can't have more than 1 per ship and it has to be the original root.
  • Both pusher adapters have a right-click button to disable the staging of their decoupler, but that has no effect.  They always have their staging on the list.
  • The pusher/carrier with bays for Helper Drones has no nodes in the drone bays, and the drones absolutely refuse to go in the bays.
  • The cabin lights in the cab only seem able to be switched on/off in the VAB.  There doesn't seem to be a way to do that in flight, and I don't see the switch when I try to set up an action group.
  • Fuel tanks in the Grapple Jr. bay don't crossfeed to radially mounted engines, and there's no crossfeed toggle on the Grapple Jr.
  • The RCS thrusters of the Helper Drones are always active on the parent ship, even when they're inside bays.  At least as RCS Build Aid sees it.

Anyway, this looks like fun and the Helper Drones in particular are a brilliant idea.

@Geschosskopf check new version... fixed the configs on the pusher adaptors, should be back to normal for attach nodes. 

only Adaptor have docking port (staging option); Changed the configs some, maybe it's improved. Carrier adaptor doesn't have docking port, should not have staging option at all
can't replicate your issue with cabin light... did you test on a clean install?
Added cross feed toggler to Grappler Jr. Draws from stack attached tanks inside to bay, but not surface attached tanks inside.

Helper drones have to be attached with angle snap off for whatever reason, or they snap to non-existant colliders. the carrier is more of a compact way to get the helper drones into orbit, after that they can be put anywhere using their grappler. I've considered adding docking nodes but that'd just be a staging icon nightmare with 5 docking nodes on a single part that small, plus inflated right click menu. turning the carrier into actual bay doesn't have much utility either as you'd have to manually dock each back into the bays, 

Edited by nli2work

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, cyberpunkdreams said:

I've read through a very large chunk of this thread looking for what "Mode A" and "Mode B" mean on the grappling unit! I couldn't find anything, but apologies if I was being slow... Anyone got any ideas?

It's a nice cosmetic touch that allows you to orient the part relative to the pod in 2 different ways, and still have the built-in navigation lights in the correct arrangement either way.  If you look at the part closely, you'll see 3 small navigation lights on one of it's circular areas.  Yellow on top, red on the left, green on the right.  You'll also notice that the 4 big struts/arms of the part aren't evenly spaced, but are in pairs on opposite sides of the part.  The default orientation of the part is with the pairs of struts/arms on the top and bottom of the ship as a whole, so the wider spaces between them are on the sides of the ship.  The default arrangement of the navigation lights reflects this.  But if you want to rotate the part 90^ in relation to the pod, so the narrow gaps are to the sides and the big gaps top and bottom, you need to switch the mode so the navigation lights move to match this.

19 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

It's a nice cosmetic touch that allows you to orient the part relative to the pod in 2 different ways, and still have the built-in navigation lights in the correct arrangement either way.  If you look at the part closely, you'll see 3 small navigation lights on one of it's circular areas.  Yellow on top, red on the left, green on the right.  You'll also notice that the 4 big struts/arms of the part aren't evenly spaced, but are in pairs on opposite sides of the part.  The default orientation of the part is with the pairs of struts/arms on the top and bottom of the ship as a whole, so the wider spaces between them are on the sides of the ship.  The default arrangement of the navigation lights reflects this.  But if you want to rotate the part 90^ in relation to the pod, so the narrow gaps are to the sides and the big gaps top and bottom, you need to switch the mode so the navigation lights move to match this.

That's really awesome, thanks for letting me know! Incredible attention to detail. I was worried it was something to do with the docking clamp that I was missing.

Overall, I really love the look, although as I start building my first tug, I've found myself wishing it looked a little more stock. It's just that although in theory the system is self-contained, it's pretty much inevitable that you start attaching stock or stockalike parts to it, and it jars a little. That's not really a complaint though... not even a suggestion really. Just a thought. It does look awesome as is. The ideal thing would be to change stock, but I doubt that's going to happen!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.