[1.1.2] Orbital Utility Vehicle v1.2.4

nli2work

These parts are awesome, thanks!

I have two questions, though:

1. will the push adapter with docking capabilities (and the small bay) be discontinued? So we'll have only grapling abilities? A large one and a small one on the push adapter?
  2. I tried those new helper drones and three error messages regards JSI were shown. I think they are related to RPM. How do I fix these?

there's just 1 size grabber. To me it's a much stronger size1 docking port. The way grabber work makes it essentially a universal docking port, Just target a docking and move into it as if you're docking. And surprisingly... mechjeb will autodock whether you have a docking port or not. so you can arm the grabber, then autodock with mechjeb... but don't try to do that... you'll get stuck on the docking port. working on a fix as I type

as far as JSI error... that's most likely unrelated. There's nothing that uses any RPM functionality.

Fixed Colliders on carrier adaptor. links in OP.

Edited by nli2work

The problem with removing the Push Adaptor is in what it might do to saved games. It can be deprecated, but removal from the pack would be hasty.

I would have a preference for some sort of choice for things like docking. There are different docking ports used in different station Mods, both how they look and what they will dock with. I am not sure it makes any visual sense to fit a different docking port, visually functioning as a sold disk, but having a unit with a node to accept a docking port, a grappler, or other similar device might be useful.

2 hours ago, Wolf Baginski said:

The problem with removing the Push Adaptor is in what it might do to saved games. It can be deprecated, but removal from the pack would be hasty.

I would have a preference for some sort of choice for things like docking. There are different docking ports used in different station Mods, both how they look and what they will dock with. I am not sure it makes any visual sense to fit a different docking port, visually functioning as a sold disk, but having a unit with a node to accept a docking port, a grappler, or other similar device might be useful.

Push adaptor will still be in game, I'll probably set it to "None" category so it doesn't show in the parts list, but still loaded in game next update. 

Far as Docking, Grabber node is the universal docking port. it will stick to anything when activated. If you want to use it as a docking port, target another docking port and dock as usual, or use MechJeb autodock, which works quite well with grabber.

11 hours ago, nli2work said:

I think you need procedural parts mod as well

Oh, I didn't notice that...

Is it possible to duplicate stock fuel tanks and make them use these textures through MM patches?

Can you guide me to it?

3 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

Oh, I didn't notice that...

Is it possible to duplicate stock fuel tanks and make them use these textures through MM patches?

Can you guide me to it?

It is impossible, the texture maps don't match which means you will not have a seamless texture but a stretched mess.

Procedural Parts FTW!

Edited by Enceos

Hey, @nli2work, I've (finally) tested this on my career save, some thoughts:

1. it's gorgeous, thanks!
  2. the portrait and IVA look too bright (at least on my machine);
  3. I couldn't (for the life of me) balance the default RCS ports. I decided to disable them all and add stock ones. Had some trouble finding a place for them, had to use the offset gizmo;
  4. the drone helpers had to be placed with angle snap disabled;
  5. when I launched the rocket, using the drone helpers, I got some error messages;
  6. when I decoupled the drone helpers, I could not focus them using the bracket keys ('[' and ']'). (nevermind this one).

Can you help me?

P.S.: I had trouble with the pictures, I'll add them in a few minutes...

EDIT: Here it is (I think I managed to summarize it all in one picture): vOupESY.png

Edited by jlcarneiro

What version? They're not 100% working with 1.1. What mods do you have installed?

1. thanks!
2. not sure, probably not much I can do about portrait brightness, IVA space lighting is out of my control. IVA is bright because there's only white.
3. I'm not sure what you mean. They are not possible balance by themselves. Every part you add to the vessel requires rebalancing RCS. Once you grab onto another part, your RCS will be completely out of balance as well. I just embed them to help lower part count a bit.
4. Yeah. not sure if there's a way to get around it. I'll try changing the collider box layouts
5. Not sure.. have to see the error messages.
6. Might be related to error messages. Using RemoteTech?

2 hours ago, nli2work said:

What version? They're not 100% working with 1.1. What mods do you have installed?

1. thanks!
2. not sure, probably not much I can do about portrait brightness, IVA space lighting is out of my control. IVA is bright because there's only white.
3. I'm not sure what you mean. They are not possible balance by themselves. Every part you add to the vessel requires rebalancing RCS. Once you grab onto another part, your RCS will be completely out of balance as well. I just embed them to help lower part count a bit.
4. Yeah. not sure if there's a way to get around it. I'll try changing the collider box layouts
5. Not sure.. have to see the error messages.
6. Might be related to error messages. Using RemoteTech?

Sorry, I forgot some details...

I'm using version 1.0.5 on Linux (64-bit), with nVidia (and a loong list of mods! If you think they are important, let me know).

Let's deal with your answers now:

1. you're welcome, you deserve it;
  2. I understand, I wrote that down thinking about @Enceos work. Maybe pinging him, now it will work... ;)
  3. I didn't expect them to be balanced since we'll attach the parts as we please (unless it were a one-part-mod)... I understand and thank you for your initiative on putting them to lower part count too. What I'm asking is if it is possible to create areas on the parts where we can attach RCS ports without recurring to gizmos (look in the screenshot were I put them to get an idea). I know using gizmos works fine, but sometimes it does not LOOK fine, do you understand me? If it's too hard, no worries... ;)
  4. Same here.
  5. The error messages are shown on the screenshot I uploaded. Looks like it's related to RasterPropMonitor...
  6. No, I don't use RemoteTech (love it, but it takes too much time and I already have too little)... Anyway, nevermind this, I'll have to test it further...

Thanks for your time! ;)

Edited by jlcarneiro

wow that is BRIGHT! I think that's just multiple lights stacking from inside IVA. might have to do with one of the RPM switches not initializing on launch, probably a mispelled internal name or variable. Should be easy fix. Not much I can do though, I didn't make that IVA.

And Yeah I'll squeeze in some attachment areas for next update.

6 minutes ago, nli2work said:

wow that is BRIGHT! I think that's just multiple lights stacking from inside IVA. might have to do with one of the RPM switches not initializing on launch, probably a mispelled internal name or variable. Should be easy fix. Not much I can do though, I didn't make that IVA.

And Yeah I'll squeeze in some attachment areas for next update.

Thanks! Ah, on the behalf of the Push Adaptor/Service Bay, I think it's easier to use (the Drone Helpers are a great idea, but sometimes we need something simple, you know?) and it also has a service bay! I'm thinking of uses like storing some chutes to put on the salvage ship (with KIS and KAS) prior to deorbiting it...

36 minutes ago, jlcarneiro said:

Thanks! Ah, on the behalf of the Push Adaptor/Service Bay, I think it's easier to use (the Drone Helpers are a great idea, but sometimes we need something simple, you know?) and it also has a service bay! I'm thinking of uses like storing some chutes to put on the salvage ship (with KIS and KAS) prior to deorbiting it...

True true. 

@jlcarneiro come 1.1 everything related to RCS should be much improved

Edited by nli2work

Just wanted to say thanks for this mod.

Really great work.

Any chance of some simple video showing how to use the new parts???  The first one was great but I would really like to see how the mess about with the new toys.

Cheers.

Regarding the bright IVA, @jlcarneiro, on the screenshot your vhicle is facing upwards and the sun is shining right into the cabin. Would you please confirm if this also happens in rover orientation and in space.

There's a cool mod for balancing RCS in VAB called RCS Build Aid, also available via ckan.

Edited by Enceos

3 hours ago, Enceos said:

There's a cool mod for balancing RCS in VAB called RCS Build Aid, also available via ckan.

Thanks, I use it and that's how I managed to attach the new RCS ports to balance them.

About the rover position test, I'll do it and report it... ;)

EDIT: Confirmed, the excess IVA lightning was due to the sun, thanks! ;)

Edited by jlcarneiro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.