[1.1.2] Orbital Utility Vehicle v1.2.4

nli2work

On 6/4/2016 at 7:36 PM, cyberpunkdreams said:

I've got another problem now -- it seems to require a RemoteTech connection even when there's a pilot on board?

You mean the piloted pod right? just tested it in 1.1.3 it works as expected. Flight computer icon is red as there's no signal processor unit, but it shouldn't require connection to KSC.

On 6/18/2016 at 8:40 PM, DaMacGuy said:

Okay, so can I not try and grab a component, like the Hitchhiker Storage Container, from the curved side (so I'm perpendicular to the component)? :(

The small Helper Drone can grab the side of this component.

helper drone has fairly wide capture angle, ~ +/- 30 degrees. 

Testing in 1.1.3... I don't expect any issues as the updates in 1.1.3 doesn't seem to affect any part modules relevant to the parts. If you encounter any issues please let me know.

Working for me @zergeater. Can you give more info? Prior experience of mine might suggest you're missing a dependency or resource. If ModuleManager thinks you have Interstellar Extended installed, it might be looking for resources that aren't there. What does your log say? 

Edited by theonegalen

• 1 month later...

Could you add another section for kerbalism antenna please?

As far as I know, something like:

@PART[helperDrone]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
    %MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]    {
		@@name = Antenna
        %scope = orbit                   // up to home system SOI (at max ECC)
        %relay_cost = 0.5				 // prohibitively high relay cost, because drones should be bad at that?
        %min_transmission_cost = 4.0	 // bad cost scaling also
        %max_transmission_cost = 8.0	 // since it's just meant to be a control link - but hey, no reason to totally disallow it.
        }

}

should do the trick, though I'm not entirely certain...  If it works for me I'll let you know.

You can also define your own scope if you don't want them to have almost munar control range.

Edited by darloth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

An update to 1.2 would be great. I love this shiny little Space Mover.

Edit (tested with stock gamedata + (Orbital Utility Vehicle):

- Helper drones does not work (think lack of antenna)

- Drone core also has no antenna function and doesn't work as in 1.1.3

- Drone core and manned Pod integrated lights light up the planet from 100.000m above kerbal easily and massive.

- Engine seems to work as normal.

Edited by LeLeon

On 10/14/2016 at 7:16 PM, LeLeon said:

Drone core and manned Pod integrated lights light up the planet from 100.000m above kerbal easily and massive.

Good to have a back up, just in case Kerbol's bulb burns out. :P

@nli2work

So I went ahead and updated this - completely, and then some - for 1.2 and everything tested successfully, so I figured I'd share it.

As a matter of disclosure: I also gave the parts a balance pass, some more than others. Everyone's favorite, the extendable engine, was hit a bit hard (mainly in the cost area), but nothing out of line with the stock NERV. Indeed, everything was compared to a comparable stock counterpart.

I also: converted the ModuleRCS to the new ModuleRCSFX and added RCS soundFX. I tied all lights into the Light action group, added hibernation, kerbnet, data transmitters, everything now has tags and fixed/updated bulkheadprofiles, etc etc. See changelog below (also included in the download) for an exhaustive list of changes made.

And I fixed a couple of bugs as well; behind the scenes stuff that I doubt anyone really noticed or even affected anything (differing double entries, that sort of thing), but meh.

If people aren't keen on me taking license and balancing all the things ('cuz really, who am I to say what's what?), I'm fine with releasing a second version with just the essentials in it (the new 1.2 goodies, added tags, updated bulkheads, etc). Or you can make the changes yourself - I generally left in the old/original values next to my adjusted values, behind a double slash //. And if you really don't like my engine changes (which honestly aren't that bad), you can just delete "OT_Engines.cfg" entirely. No hard feelings, promise.:)

Happy Halloween.

Installation Just extract the folder "TugPatches" into your GameData folder. Requires ModuleManager, as these are just MM patches. Pretty straightforward.

Credits Credit for "OrbitalTug" belongs to @nli2work ; credit for "TugPatches" belongs to @Deimos Rast. All bugs contained therein also belong to Deimos Rast.

License Not sure this even needs one, and I don't really care, but some people do, so let's go with the OP's license of "CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0". nli2work is, of course, more than welcome to use any and all of these patches or their contents, as he so chooses. Or not. That's cool too. :)

Changelog here

Download here

EDIT:

@LeLeon @Scotius Done.

Edited by Deimos Rast

8 minutes ago, LeLeon said:

Fine, fine. Will be hard, without the cheaty generator. Good, that i don't have massive usage in my 1.2 career. The higher price tag will be a hard hit, but makes sense.

I tried to take into account you'll be using x2, if not x4 of the engines. It's close to thrust (50 vs 60) of the NERV plus it has an alternative mode and thrust reversal. That said, while I tested it to make sure it worked, I really didn't play with it, so if you find it really binds, and can come up with a reasonable number alternative, I'm all ears.

I believe there is also a patch is KerbalAtomics for this engine, which will probably override a number of changes (I need to check on that). There might be one for a Near Future fission reactor too, but I don't think so. I think Nertea reserved those patches for his own engines. I suppose I could make one, if people really want (mainly just to see how it's done). This is assuming the generator was supposed to be some type of reactor (a la the KANDL) as opposed to an Alternator, like the stock NERV.

I used them often and began to do it in my 1.2 career. Downside is, you have to buy minimum of two. But now i can switch my monotanks to fuel tanks with your power switch.

Kerbal Atomics overrides only fuel to LqdHydrogen. I killed this patch for me, the Grappler cannot be switched to LqdHydrogen, what sucks then.

Some of my additional tweaks over @Deimos Rast great work.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApRhxICouh6ag-RObX1ZZYL9IjQKog

Spoiler

Command Module: 

- pod antenna to RELAY antenna. so i don't need a real relay antenna additionally. I also gave a better

- antenna range of 600.000 (optimum 100.000) because its extendable. The helper drones will be useless with a stock built in pod antenna power on it, now it can talk to the pod.

Drone Module:

- RELAY too, 400.000 (optimum 100.000) antenna range The helper will be useless with a stock built in pod antenna power on it, now it can talk to the pod.

- costs lowered to 2.800 (see no reason for 5.250 costs)

Drone Carrier:

- weight to 0.35

monoprop to 100. the model is not that massive as pushadapter

Push Adapter:

- weight 0.5 activated

Helper Drone:

- weight 0.08 . it's a tiny little thing. 

Hope that works. :D

Edited by LeLeon

@LeLeon

Interesting making the antennas relays. I had envisions the Tug as a "drone boat" of sorts, which is why I gave it the probe control point (assuming that does what I think it does), so a relay would fit that. Does it otherwise affect functionality in anyway?

That cost seems reasonable, as do the weights. Actually everything does. I'll probably fold them in to save people an extra download, if you don't mind, with credit of course.

Although, a thought: it might not be bad for the drone to have a little weight when pushing heavy things around. Assuming I increased it (I can't remember), that might be my rational.

Thanks for the help.:)

@Deimos Rast 

i tested the patches: 

RCS  plume is invicible for "Helper Drone" and "Orbital Tug Grappler" 

Carrier adapter, push adapter grappler jr, drone core show rcs effects

@ helper drone: the 5000 antenna range is a lot, so i will test the drones with a much lower antenna power, so it will be forced to use the relay of his carrier.

Edited by LeLeon

28 minutes ago, LeLeon said:

@Deimos Rast 

i tested the patches: 

RCS  plume is invicible for "Helper Drone" and "Orbital Tug Grappler" 

Carrier adapter, push adapter grappler jr, drone core show rcs effects

@ helper drone: the 5000 antenna range is a lot, so i will test the drones with a much lower antenna power, so it will be forced to use the relay of his carrier.

Define "invincible"? I didn't change the thrust values on the RCS at all. They were already high to begin with. I think it's the helper drone that defaults to a thruster setting of 5% because of that, and you're supposed to crank it up when you attach to something heavy. If you do so before, it goes craaaaaazy. nl2iwork talked about it awhile back.

You should also be getting soundFX from the RCS, but they are extremely quiet, and only really heard at max thrust, full throttle, with music off. For all intents and purposes though, they're silent. I could try cranking on the pitch settings in the EFFECTS node, but I don't have much experience with that area. But yes, all the RCS worked 100% for me, at expected levels, just not necessarily at desired levels.:P

Let me know on the Antenna, as I like your idea here.

3 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

Define "invincible"? I didn't change the thrust values on the RCS at all. They were already high to begin with. I think it's the helper drone that defaults to a thruster setting of 5% because of that, and you're supposed to crank it up when you attach to something heavy. If you do so before, it goes craaaaaazy. nl2iwork talked about it awhile back.

Just guessing here, but that was probably a typo for "invisible."

9 minutes ago, cyberpunkdreams said:

Just guessing here, but that was probably a typo for "invisible."

a ha! Probably. My understanding of how the new ModuleRCSFX works is that the FX magnitude is tied to thruster power/strength. As an experiment, try cranking up the thruster value in the config. The alternative is the it uses something different than the "RCSThruster" transform (iirc) that all the other ones use, and I didn't change it, and so it's not working right.

directed at LeLeon

38 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

a ha! Probably. My understanding of how the new ModuleRCSFX works is that the FX magnitude is tied to thruster power/strength. As an experiment, try cranking up the thruster value in the config. The alternative is the it uses something different than the "RCSThruster" transform (iirc) that all the other ones use, and I didn't change it, and so it's not working right.

directed at LeLeon

yeah, it was the RCS low thrust setting on grappler and drone, then no visible effect appears.

For the drone from start 0.5% - 1% would be best setting. at 5% it's a speedracer and hard to control :D

@Deimos Rast

The Relay on Command Module works well. Tested on Sandbox, normal difficulty.

I put Orbital Tug with Jebediah to 5 mio km distance orbit from Kerbin. Then i had to switch antenna to get signal. Released the drone and this little boy connected to Jebs craft.

Setting for Drone Helper

antennaPower = 50
        optimumRange = 50

After 5.4 km distance to relay vessel drone lost contact (standard difficulty antenna range 1.0). Now it's lost in space. :wink:

I have a drone on 2.1 million km distance to kerbin. Ground station connect directly with 35% signal to drone.

For my taste 5.4 km is enough room for some bad flight maneuvers in outer space. I play career with difficulty antenna range 0.20, for me 1 km range is enough, too.

Edited by LeLeon

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.