Maritime Pack & Submarine Pack 2.0 Dev Page

BT Industries

Maritime Pack  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What type of boats should this mod be focused on?

• Naval
    • Commercial
    • Civilian Crafts
    • Naval, Commercial Mix
    • Civilian Crafts, Commercial Mix
    • Naval, Civilian Crafts Mix
    • A Mix of All

Maritime Pack & Submarine Pack 2.0 Dev Page

Once again you can easily transport hundreds of tons of cargo, dozens of Kerbals or rovers to distant shores.  Go yachting on Eve's Explodium Sea, support multiple bases on Laythe by water or experience history and take a Paddle-wheel cruise up Kerbin's rivers.  Looking for the ultimate pilot challenge? Try landing on the CVE. 

The ocean is your frontier and to conquer it you only need imagination... and the Maritime Pack 2.0.

This thread is for the community to comment their ideas, thoughts, questions and support of the development of this mod.

Warning still a work in progress

Mod Status.

We are still working on a release but it is not far away.

Download

All though there is no official release yet, you are all welcome to download the W.I.P. version of the mod from the Maritime Pack GitHub Page and help speed up the development by posting bugs and/or make a fix on GitHub and request a pull.

Ideas List.

Spoiler
  • Hanger compatibility
  • Storage space below deck
  • Science Boat

To Do List

Spoiler
  1. Add a buoyancy control system
  2. Update Pleasure Craft
  3. Update CVE
  4. Update Roll on Roll of
  5. Update Sub
  6. Add Tweakscale hulls
  7. Make all parts compatible with Sinking About
  8. Implement arrestor system for the CVE
  9. Texturing Switching (Military grey, white, stock-alike, industrial) (Will need someone who can do texturing for this)
  10. Make a separate Armour mod
  11. Make a Military preset (Armour, higher crash tolerance, weighs more)
  12. Add KIS compatibility
  13. Add a new shipping container part
  14. Make a Commercial preset (Weighs less, more internal space for fuel and/or KIS parts)
  15. Add the ability to repair armour (Will produce a lot of heat and is very slow)

The Team (So far)

Myself, Ben from @BT Industries (.CFG Hacker, Project Coordinator, Admin of the Forum Thread and Resurrecter)

Big thanks to the following members of the team because with out the help from these people Maritime Pack 2.0 would not be possible.

Fangist (Yep he is back) (Founder, Modeler, Texturer and Lead Developer)

T from @BT Industries (Tester)

@Sumimoto (Boats and Sea Navigation Expert)

@G.man (Modeler)

@CliftonM (Plugin Developer)

@adsii1970 (Banner and Media Artist)

Jobs Available

This a list of jobs that we currently have missing in the current team.

Nobody is obliged to take up these roles it is all up too you.

1. Texturer'er
  2. 3D Modeler (Yes we already have one but two is better than one, right?)

If you would like to help in anyway listed on this list (or not) send me a PM. 

If you don't really want to be part of the team full time but you have something you would like to share/donated to the mod (A new part, Some textures or maybe just help balance the parts) you are free to request a pull on our GitHub page and I'll check the changes and except it if I like what I see. 

License

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Public License

Edited by BT Industries

4 minutes ago, hieywiey said:

I think this might belong in add-on discussions, based on the OP.

Thanks, I was also pondering about this

If you think it should go there I'll do that...

Sorry for being a noob but how do I move it?

Edited by BT Industries

If you're taking over development it's in the right place. If you're discussing the mod (not developing it) then Add-on discussions might be a better place - just ask a moderator to move the thread. (I'm hoping it's the first one - this mod is too unique to just fade into the past).

10 minutes ago, craigtylerrobert said:

Not sure if its the maritime mod or bd armory but when you get within 3 to 5 k with a plane or other craft it goesup out of the water and falls back down love the mod cant wait to see the end product

That's a known 1.0.5 bug which has been fixed for 1.1

2 hours ago, craigtylerrobert said:

Thank you good to know it has been driving me nuts 

It was driving me nuts too! Thats why I decided to stick my hand up and over the development of this mod.

3 hours ago, wasml said:

If you're taking over development it's in the right place. If you're discussing the mod (not developing it) then Add-on discussions might be a better place - just ask a moderator to move the thread. (I'm hoping it's the first one - this mod is too unique to just fade into the past).

I am taking over development of this mod.

This thread was for me to be able to ask people questions about the development and for them to do the same.

8 minutes ago, Esquire42 said:

What's the scope going to be? Naval vessels mainly or some combination of commercial and naval?

Thats for you guys to decide, I'll open up a poll.  

Warning new parts might take a while, I want to concentrate on updating the parts first.

This will be done on a ship-by-ship basis starting with the motor yacht.

1024.jpeg

Development has not yet started as i am still waiting for the files from Fangist to arrive.

3 minutes ago, Hellbrand said:

yeah but can you fix the convex collider issue that throws vessels  thousands (or hundreds  depending on mass) when they load into physics range :o (or load period)

That's a Squad bug and you need to wait for 1.1 as NathanKell Almighty said he had solved it

7 hours ago, Acea said:

That's a Squad bug and you need to wait for 1.1 as NathanKell Almighty said he had solved it

Yes sadly I can not fix that.

We will just have to wait.

42 minutes ago, DuoDex said:

Please post a download?

And to quote myself...

15 hours ago, BT Industries said:

Warning new parts might take a while, I want to concentrate on updating the parts first.

This will be done on a ship-by-ship basis starting with the motor yacht.

Development has not yet started as i am still waiting for the files from Fangist to arrive.

1 hour ago, Bluejay0013 said:

I used to use this mod for making destroyer sized boats, and Large Ship Parts mod for making Battleships and Super Carriers

Yes, same here...

And while we are on the subject of size, what do you guys think of making the hulls tweakscalable

1 hour ago, Bluejay0013 said:

Good luck @BT Industries

Thanks

@BT Industries Making them tweakscalable sounds like a great idea, would it be possible to have a different texture for each size? It would be really cool to have a different color palette for each increment so a little ship and a big ship wouldn't look exactly the same. I don't know if tweakscale would allow this, though so I wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't implementable.

10 minutes ago, BT Industries said:

Yes, same here...

And while we are on the subject of size, what do you guys think of making the hulls tweakscalable

Thanks

There's no good reason not to, if you're willing to handle potential bugs. It won't do anything for those not using Tweakscale.

13 minutes ago, renoplane said:

@BT Industries Making them tweakscalable sounds like a great idea, would it be possible to have a different texture for each size? It would be really cool to have a different color palette for each increment so a little ship and a big ship wouldn't look exactly the same. I don't know if tweakscale would allow this, though so I wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't implementable.

A better approach is to look at using the Firespitter texture switcher, unconnected to Tweakscale though the two are now compatible.

This confers more than a cosmetic difference - for those looking to military uses, the parts can be sinkable and armoured (perhaps with ablator resource to ward off BDA weapons, higher impact resistance and dry mass, and painted militaristic grey), for shipping, they'd switch between fuel, ore and other resources, or KIS inventory, and so on. Given the poll results wanting every kind of maritime role catered for, this meets the diversity of demand. 

Edited by colmo

1 minute ago, colmo said:

A better approach is to look at using the Firespitter texture switcher, unconnected to Tweakscale though the two are now compatible.

This confers more than a cosmetic difference - for those looking to military uses, the parts can be sinkable and armoured (perhaps with ablator resource to ward off BDA weapons, and painted militaristic grey), for shipping, they'd carry fuel, for cargo, they'd have KIS inventory, and so on. Given the poll results wanting every kind of maritime role catered for, this meets the diversity of demand. 

Yes, that was sort of what I was thinking. You could have the resources toggle-able, and have different resource presets like Roverdude's amazing USI containers. I don't think you can have toggleable KIS inventory, though, so it might be better to have all or some of the parts include KIS inventory by default.

29 minutes ago, renoplane said:

It would be really cool to have a different color palette for each increment so a little ship and a big ship wouldn't look exactly the same. I don't know if tweakscale would allow this, though so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't implementable.

I agree a wider palette of textures would be great (Added to the ever growing To Do List)

9 minutes ago, colmo said:

Agreed

3 minutes ago, renoplane said:

You could have the resources toggle-able, and have different resource presets like Roverdude's amazing USI containers. I don't think you can have toggleable KIS inventory, though, so it might be better to have all or some of the parts include KIS inventory by default.

Exactly what I was thinking.

What do you guys think of some of the larger parts having inbuilt Hanger compatibility so that you can hide away your plane after landing it on you aircraft carrier or for storing your cargo?

18 minutes ago, colmo said:

This confers more than a cosmetic difference - for those looking to military uses, the parts can be sinkable and armoured (perhaps with ablator resource to ward off BDA weapons, higher impact resistance and dry mass, and painted militaristic grey), for shipping, they'd switch between fuel, ore and other resources, or KIS inventory, and so on. Given the poll results wanting every kind of maritime role catered for, this meets the diversity of demand. 

Yes, like it this will definitely be done.

Keep it up guys, your ideas and enthusiasm is very much appreciated :D

I will add an ideas list in the OP so none of these great ideas get lost.

You'll need to consult @allista about Hangar capabilities - unlike FSswitch this is not a trivial function to add so be prepared.

If this is your first mod, go for the low-hanging fruit first; it'll build your confidence towards more complex modelling, texturing or coding changes down the line.

The To Do list is getting long, but it can be sorted according to attainability, time required and your skills as they improve.

3 minutes ago, BT Industries said:

What do you guys think of some of the larger parts having inbuilt Hanger compatibility so that you can hide away your plane after landing it on you aircraft carrier or for storing your cargo?

What do you mean, having a physical space for storing things,or somehow making it work like a hangar storing craft? If the latter, does that mean using extraplanetary launchpads or a similiar mod?

However you might go about doing this, I like where you are going. It would probably be good to put that near the low priority end of the list, though. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.