How to Update Mods

I'm a newborn when it comes to modding. How does one go about updating a mod? I know how to install one, but I figure if I just delete and reinstall then that may have some adverse effect on the craft that I've built using the mod. How do I properly update a mod?

In general, you can get away with just merging the new version with the old one. However, there is a very slim chance that this may not always work as a situation could arise in which this could break a mod. (note, I have never had this happen to me in all my four years of playing KSP).

You should be fine with just merging though, but if that really breaks things, just delete and reinstall it. Unless a mod undergoes a major update, your craft files should remain intact.

Edited by Spica

Before updating, its always a good practice to take a minute or two, and check the OP and the last few posts in the mod release thread for info...

Usually mod devs will add in the OP whether a new version will break saves, or exact details on how to do the update if there is anything out of the ordinary... Sometimes they will only add a post at the end of the release thread... Thats why its best to check both ends of the mod thread

Above posts are all right, however your can also get CKAN which is a mod manger and can update them for you, however not all mode are listed on CKAN and it can sometimes be buggy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.