Creating reliable and strong rovers (requires Infernal Robotics mod)

Kerbal101

Lock: this mod is old and not supported anymore. It may very well work however, feel free to expand or build upon it by starting your own fork, if you wish. Thank you!

Hence the default rover wheels are pretty limited to be low weight, I found a nice way to create much stronger and better version.

This requires the Infernal Robotics mod however, as Vanilla KSP has no custom activators/hinges.

The basic idea is to use most robust existing components for wheels. This are the obvious girders segments, boasting 80m/s crash tolerance.

As for the wheels, an empty RCS fuel tanks do just fine, boasting 12m/s crash tolerance (just for wheel base).

However, as smaller girder is actually a weak octagonal strut, if you want to construct smaller wheel base, you absolutely also need TweakScale mod.

But if you prefer to keep your mod number down, you might use the default rover wheels for smaller rovers.

The actual reference implementation is quite easy - central part composed of anything, OKTO, girders, four IR Rotatrons and two Powered Hinges.

I recommend to keep the Acceleration factor for IR Rotatrons low, unless you want to do wheelies (its possible). This also reduces stress on wheels.

This is about the result:

ANfE8qo.jpg

RssEQAz.jpg

hn1K5Ef.jpg

qwmxweF.jpg

Vehicle can easily weight 40+ tonnes.

It can climb smaller mountains.

It can be equipped with rocket engine to help it in some situations.

Its predictable, reliable, cheap, efficient.

VTOL? Science? Mine? Refuel? Why not!

I am not uploading the ship file, because its so easy to create one oneself, and this is also needed to make own customized rovers. Its all in the pictures!

When I put 40 tonnes on regular wheels, they either bust, break or limit movement to 15m/s.

This stuff is miles more stable and fun! Enjoy!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Stock XL3 wheel has typical speed of 12m/s and caps at 30m/s. The IR-based acceleration power is at least 5x times higher for the equal weight, maximum speed is 4x times higher.

These are much more resistant to heavy abuse, they don't explode or get damaged until max 80m/s both linear and impact crash. Also, their maximum payload is higher.

NuUOnSx.jpg

The stock hinge is klug-ish and does not provide the amount of control that IR provides.

On 8/17/2016 at 12:39 PM, Spark Plug said:

Is a "roller," any different from a "rover?" Just curious about your terminology here, as when I opened the thread I must have been thinking about "crawlers," that transport launch vehicles around.

+1 fixed, thanks!

Edited by Kerbal101