Devnote Tuesday: 'Super' Tuesday!

SQUAD

10 hours ago, SQUAD said:

The results speak for themselves, as this picture clearly shows.

Is this "moar lights" a reference to the great videos of Bob Fitch / @Felbourn, or was that a thing before his videos? (I'm in since 0.22)

Edit: Seems like it is: "Thanks, Squad!"

9 hours ago, KasperVld said:
9 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

What about the fairing bug? When the center of lift is way out in front of the rocket.

That was fixed :)

...still proud of reporting this bug first. :)

Uh, so feature lock is already here. That's awesome.

7 hours ago, Claw said:

It was kerbals that tipped me off to what the actual problem was...But yes, the ocean-floor-warp looks like it was an issue any time two splashed craft were touching.

So I can thank you for the fix? Awesome! :D

I prefer my crafts going to the ocean floor on touching after they've been loaded in, not beforehand.

Edited by Temeter

@xEvilReeperx yep! Your mod was a definite inspiration, and to be honest I never thought of a better method than your normals + dot products way of segregating. At least I know it works, eh? :)

@Crzyrndm Yeah, my guess is in the case of B9 Pwings / PD Pwings the best course is just to report zero delta if FAR is installed and let FAR handle the mass modifying (by reporting desired mass - prefab mass).

17 hours ago, SQUAD said:

The uncertainty the editor had when stack-attaching thin parts to other thin parts (for example a battery to a probe core) has not escaped his attention and has also been addressed.

Uh oh - now you're giving me some actual hope... Good luck with your experimentals.

Danny

48 minutes ago, CrashTestDanny said:

Uh oh - now you're giving me some actual hope...

Turns out there was some fighting between node/stack attach and even between some of the nodes...when parts are thin, and for things like cargo bays where two nodes are very close.

So what that unassuming statement means now is that parts have a preference for surface attach first, and want to stick exactly where the cursor is. If the cursor isn't on something, the part will do the usual snap-to the nearest node (within a certain range), but there is no more node-node fighting. So thin parts properly stack, cargo bays properly attach, and there should be fewer cases where parts sort of "toggle" back and forth between nodes.

15 minutes ago, Claw said:

Turns out there was some fighting between node/stack attach and even between some of the nodes...when parts are thin, and for things like cargo bays where two nodes are very close.

So what that unassuming statement means now is that parts have a preference for surface attach first, and want to stick exactly where the cursor is. If the cursor isn't on something, the part will do the usual snap-to the nearest node (within a certain range), but there is no more node-node fighting. So thin parts properly stack, cargo bays properly attach, and there should be fewer cases where parts sort of "toggle" back and forth between nodes.

Does this also fix the issue where the equipment bay spontaneously detaches? Or has that been fixed separately?

2 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

the equipment bay spontaneously detaches?

I know there are some attachment issues (which have been fixed), but I'm not sue about the spontaneous detachment. Do you have an example of that somewhere? It may be related, but I'm unfamiliar with the detachment specifically.

1 minute ago, Claw said:

I know there are some attachment issues (which have been fixed), but I'm not sue about the spontaneous detachment. Do you have an example of that somewhere? It may be related, but I'm unfamiliar with the detachment specifically.

I'm at work now, but I'll try to dig up an example when I'm home later, about 8 hrs from now. I think it was an issue with things attached to the top node of the bay. I tended to stay away from the bays in 1.05 for that reason, I know it happened to me a few times in 1.02 or 1.04, but is suppose it could have had a stealth fix since then. However, the "Rockin on Minmus" link in my sig features a kerbal bopping on top of a discombobulated equipment bay. I may still have that version/save kicking around. 

19 hours ago, SQUAD said:

This week a lot of tweaks came in before we went into feature lock.

So, does feature lock mean you settled on a specific Unity version for the release? Any chance of sharing that exact version? :wink::wink: :D

17 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Thinking about this a bit more, I think it will enable modders to make active cooling systems with a coolant resource that gets moved from hot spots to radiators and back again. It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

It will be somewhat useful, but the bottom line is that the coolant will have the temperature of whatever part it originated from, and an associated heat level appropriate to  the coolant's specific heat and temperature.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.