Workaround Industries Presents: The S4ND-V1C4 Naval Folding-wing fighter (Corsair-inspired)

Credit to @Majorjim for the thermometer bearing, as per usual. No download yet, as this is still very WIP. But if flies, and it folds. What more can you ask for? 

zmYKWzi.png

Surprisingly, it doesn't fall apart unless you try to do stupid things with it.

ynHMMNM.png

Folded wing: Shrinks width by 1.2 meters.

CMbQBGH.png

I made it better! Now you people are allowed to butcher it all you want.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7r799najon2t5t/Corsaircanard%20MKII%20-%20Copy.craft?dl=0

That's the name of the current version. Instructions:

-Launch in the SPH

-Activate stage 2

-Press action group 4, wait until legs go down

-Activate stage 1

-Fly like you would a normal plane, takeoff speed is around 100 m/s

Folding:

-Decouple wings (stage 2)

-Activate AG 1 and throttle up until wings arrive at max height.

-Activate AG 2 to keep them in place for storage.

-Deactivate AG 2 and activate AG 3 to push the wings back into flight pos

-Use AG 4 to lock the wings in place.

Edited by The Optimist

I shall download it to plunder it's secrets! How did you find the bearings when the wings are under stress? The inherent floppiness of the ant engines is the major weak point of the thermo bearings, I am looking into a possible alternative. Oh, and there is no need to name me every time they are used though man. Take the idea and make it yours! And unless you downloaded a sub-assembly and used that it's your own design!

I just read that you have to try to break it. That means you made it well! And as anyone who works with hard to control vehicles knows that you never do anything it was not designed to do! Especially if you don't own it.. :blush:

2 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I shall download it to plunder it's secrets! How did you find the bearings when the wings are under stress? The inherent floppiness of the ant engines is the major weak point of the thermo bearings, I am looking into a possible alternative. Oh, and there is no need to name me every time they are used though man. Take the idea and make it yours! And unless you downloaded a sub-assembly and used that it's your own design!

I just read that you have to try to break it. That means you made it well! And as anyone who works with hard to control vehicles knows that you never do anything it was not designed to do! Especially if you don't own it.. :blush:

I don't think the thermo-bearing likes mach-speed winds very much, unfortunately ._.

Just now, The Optimist said:

I don't think the thermo-bearing likes mach-speed winds very much, unfortunately ._.

I imagine not! You know what? If the aircraft folded in the center it would not be as effected by the air pressure at speed. I can't picture how that would work but It should be possible to make a basic test example craft.

3 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I imagine not! You know what? If the aircraft folded in the center it would not be as effected by the air pressure at speed. I can't picture how that would work but It should be possible to make a basic test example craft.

What?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.