Drills?

Caithloki

DrC7J7z.png

I have been trying to get this drill to work in game, I have it using stock mini drill config file and it functions in game, as in it opens the bit and does the drilling action, and displays all the same UI stuff as the other drills but it gains no heat and no generation of ore. It has an efficiency level of 26%, I have sent this and a stock drill out at the same time and the stock drill works in the same location. 

Am I missing a part required to work with drills, something like the sun catcher for solar panels? If more info or pictures of different stuff is needed please ask and I will supply it.

Edited by Caithloki

I was wrong. You need a gameObject with Y+ pointed at the same direction as your drillbit. It doesn't need to animate with the drill extending. assign that to ImpactTransform.
ImpactRange parameter determines the actual range of your drill. 

I assume you're using Blender? if so grab this plugin so you can import MU files, that lets you see all the things that were added through Unity, what direction things are pointing, etc.

Edited by nli2work

I'm using Maya LT, I used to use blender and do actually have that .mu pluggin but I recently switched. Okay so if I understand there needs to be pointing towards the ground, as in the "up" direction rotated to point to the ground?

Import the radial drill to blender and you'll see what's going on... ImpactTransform doesn't move with the drill head, it's just a ray castor to check if ground/asteroid is in range that is set by ImpactRange. If you push it under the ground, there's nothing for the ray to hit, at least not within a reasonable distance. maybe if you set impact range to 7000000... hm that gives me an idea, don't know if it'll work though.

no no not the config. it's where you place the ImpactTransform. it has to be above whatever you'r drilling, pointed at what you're drilling, but within the distance set by ImpactRange. When you attach it to the drill head and deploy the drill the ImpactTransform ends up under the ground, and there's nothing for the ray cast to hit.

Edited by nli2work

I have had it above ground, below ground and really far above the drill. its currently not animated with the drill it just sits in place. 

You mentioned earlier that the impacttransform item needs to be rotated, does it matter what program that is done in?

Edited by Caithloki

doesn't matter where you rotate the object, as long as the local space green arrow is pointed in the same direction as the drill in Unity. Maya has same coordinate system as Unity (Y+ Up), I don't think there's any changes you have make after export/import.

Okay that might be my confusion then, I had the impact item rotated 180.

Edit: tried with the item not rotated and still having the same issue, I also switched from poly item to a locator, which the stock drill has and still not getting a ground connection.

Edited by Caithloki

Can't tell what is going on in your part. All I see is a section of a cylinder. Please be more descriptive of what you have... which way is the ground supposed to be? which way is the impactTransform pointing?

Edited by nli2work

Oh shoot sorry about that forgot to open the drill, Here is the drill open. It has the impact transform placed pointing straight up, with direction 0.0.0 so no rotation on it.

8k4ENXX.jpg

Edited by Caithloki

Ok, finally figured it out... goddam. I hate modding sometimes. Forgot Blender is Z+ Up... so the ImpactTransform's Z+ should be pointed at the ground... not Y+. I should have just brute forced it and tried every cardinal direction instead of importing stock models and trying to figure it out the hard way.

so yeah, in Unity rotate the ImpactTransform object so the Blue arrow is pointed down the same direction as the drill bits. position shouldn't matter too much, but don't put any colliders in the way.

11 minutes ago, nli2work said:

Ok, finally figured it out... goddam. I hate modding sometimes. Forgot Blender is Z+ Up... so the ImpactTransform's Z+ should be pointed at the ground... not Y+. I should have just brute forced it and tried every cardinal direction instead of importing stock models and trying to figure it out the hard way.

so yeah, in Unity rotate the ImpactTransform object so the Blue arrow is pointed down the same direction as the drill bits. position shouldn't matter too much, but don't put any colliders in the way.

Thank you so much man, it is now drilling properly. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.