Will 1.1 be the stability update that KSP needed?

JonatanW

Don't get me wrong, I am super hyped about 1.1, but I'm wondering if it will solve the stability and bug issues. 
I think those two issues are the main problem in the fantastic game that is KSP, for example if you go to the negative reviews on Steam, (almost) the only thing you will see is that the game isn't stable, especially with mods. My question is will 1.1 make the performance of KSP significantly better? A read people saying that it the improvents will be huge and compare it with Besieged (that also recently updated to Unity 5 with a huge performance boost). And I also read about that you probably can't make bigger ships or that you barely get more FPS...

Jonatan 

I am not sure on FPS improvements but 1.1 will let you load more mods at once as it is 64bit. This also means it shouldn't crash due to access violations (Reaching RAM limit)providing you don't reach your systems RAM limit. RAM limit crashes are the most common crash for me, so yes it will be more stable.:D

Edited by worir4

I hope Career mode gives the Kerbals actual personalities. You know, because shipping :3

(I'm just joking, but srsly though, it might be a good idea to give the characters more character. Just saying.

Reading the dev notes, they have mentioned fixing a LOT of the long-standing bugs that we've just learned to live with. For example, yesterday's devnotes mentioned the one where moving symmetrical objects in the VAB would break their shortcut key configurations, and some bugs with craft that are splashed down - and there have been similar updates in the devnotes for months on end now, indicating that they are putting serious effort into killing these long-standing issues. The update to Unity 5 and 64-bit should singlehandedly resolve memory crashes on modern machines, which are far and away the leading cause of crashes on modded installs. The accompanying update to PhysX 3.3 is likely to fix a couple of physics glitches. The UI has been rebuilt using the new UnityUI system instead of OnGUI, and I can say from my own Unity experience that UnityUI is not only more stable/bug-free than OnGUI, it's also far easier to debug issues when they do appear, so I expect the UI to become a lot more stable. They've also updated the line-rendering package used to display orbits and patched conics, which seems likely to resolve a few issues there.

Long story short: Yes, there is good reason to expect 1.1 to be a lot more stable than any version before it.

Edited by StarManta

I haven't ran into a stability bug for awhile.  Most of the bugs seem to be weird, repeatable things (probes with command chairs and no capsules being the biggie I've noticed).  Most of the real problems I've seen are really with Steam not downloading all the files: this has lead to nasty bugs.

My real gripes are with the UI, and it looks like they [I seem to recall Harvester personally] are working on it.  The UI is the thing that makes me rage-quit, especially when my struts disappear (either right after putting them on or magically sprawling every which way when I go for launch).

1 hour ago, Skorpychan said:

What stability issues? I've barely had any crashes in the time I've been playing.

Either you mean you have never crashed a rocket or your game never crashed. Either way, your doing something wrong:D

My hopes for 1.1 are that the unity upgrade coupled with major UI updates will drastically reduce the stutter bug issue and that some of the currently terrible performance with regard to part count will be improved.  
My concern for 1.1 is, given just how much of the foundations have been changed, that there are going to be a whole host of new issues and some changes that will cause the forum to go full rabble.

If by "stability issues" you mean KSP doesn't glitch or crash often enough, then yes, that will be fixed. It's a major release with major new functionality, so it's a given that we as players will find a lot of new corner cases that don't work. It'll still be a fun game, and will improve very fast in the first few patch releases after 1.1

Considering the bulk of crashes are due to memory issues, especially on Windows. If 1.1 comes with 64 bit for windows AND 32 bit is depreciated, as well as the widespread understanding that the number of mods you can run is directly related to how much RAM and VRAM you have... then yes it will fix a great number of the crashing problems people complain about.

However, I expect a ton of new issues. But hopefully annoying, patchable, and able to work around rather than "oh look my desktop".

10 hours ago, Skorpychan said:

What stability issues? I've barely had any crashes in the time I've been playing.

I have not had much stability problems even I use mods (most of them popular high quality mods). There is memory leak which eventually crash the game but it is predictable if I watch the memory consumption. Using OpenGL gives couple of hours of playtime for me. I have never experienced for example corruption of savefile.

But there are much reports of severe problems. It seems that there are some bugs which show themselves only in some computers. It is just luck that I and you have such systems which never activate these bugs. I hope that migration to Unity 5 fixes such things, and there are good reasons to expect that, but only time will show how many patches are needed before quality is acceptable.

14 hours ago, Skorpychan said:

You're not cool if you don't mod KSP to oblivion and then call it unstable.

I am so excited about 1.1. I have a stable modpack right now which I keep restarting my career because of how fun it is, but I have to play it with DX11 which is not as smooth as the native DX9, besides, there are more mods which I would like to add.

I got the same mod addiction in Kerbal that I had playing Minecraft :). Such good games.

My hopes are actually on the public pre-release. Here's my hope of what happens:

• Release will be buggier than usual, due to crazy size of changes
  • Squad releases pre-release
  • Players will go nuts over the bugs, and spam bugtracker and forum
  • Squad realizes that the update is half-baked and pushes back the release date (yes, I actually wish for that. Bring on the pitchforks!)
  • After some more rounds of QA and fixing, squad releases
  • We will have the best game ever made

So assuming that people keep their heads cool and don't get too verbally abusive about buggy pre-releases (it sounds stupid, but it happens so much), I think we will end up with a great, stable product.

Edited by Kobymaru

4 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Check out this video, on average it shows almost a tenfold (x10) increase in FPS. If we even see half the performance improvement from switching to Unity 5 that Besiege did I'll be thrilled.

Could any player actually report similar framerate increases? Promises like a tenfold increase are usually repurposed bovine waste.

27 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Could any player actually report similar framerate increases? Promises like a tenfold increase are usually repurposed bovine waste.

Certainly not. Such claimed improvements are advertisement tricks in very special conditions.

2 minutes ago, Hannu2 said:

Certainly not. Such claimed improvements are advertisement tricks in very special conditions.

Kinda obvious, but I'm kinda baffled they even try that one. Don't the devs understand players won't take 30 seconds to see the difference, or the lack of it?

2 hours ago, Temeter said:

Kinda obvious, but I'm kinda baffled they even try that one. Don't the devs understand players won't take 30 seconds to see the difference, or the lack of it?

They are all community made creations running on the exact same machine.

Not really getting whats so dishonest about that?

Direct quote from the developer: "Unity 5 brings with it significant improvements to performance as well as some changes to the game’s physics which, on the whole, make for a more stable experience. Our testing has shown up to a 400% increase in performance on some machines!" 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.