Contract Quandry

I received two contracts:

1. Rescue Desbas from a ship in LKO
  2. Launch a Kerbal into orbit

Contract 2's objectives are to create a vessel called Desbas' Craft, crew it, orbit it >70kms, land or splashdown.

I'm not sure what's going on.  If Desbas needs rescuing, how can I create a vessel for him?  When I actually rescue Desbas from his pod and change the name, contract 2 changes the name of the vessel so somehow they're tied together.

By building the rescue vessel, I have completed the first couple of contract 2's objectives.  I'm unsure of what to do next.  Do I simply land the rescue craft or do I need to recover Desbas' pod and somehow return it to Kerbin?

Spoiler

Edited by Brigadier

8 hours ago, _stilgar_ said:

Dresbas' craft already exists - it's in orbit, with a Kerbal you have to rescue. Just fly there and somehow land it back on Kerbin. 

Ok, so I understand you, I have to recover the vessel and the Kerbal to complete the two contracts.  I guess I need to research the claw before I can attempt this.

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

Ok, so I understand you, I have to recover the vessel and the Kerbal to complete the two contracts.  I guess I need to research the claw before I can attempt this.

I dunno.  I have never seen 2 contracts get intermingled like this.  It should be that the rescue has nothing whatsoever to do with the "put ship in orbit" contract.  So something has gone haywire and no telling what will happen.  Still, here's what I suggest

1.  Send a rescue ship to Dresbas and EVA Dresbas over to the rescue ship like you've done.

2.  If the "put ship in orbit" contract now changes to recover the rescue ship instead of Dresbas' ship, go ahead and land.  This should complete both contracts.

If this does NOT complete both contracts, open the control console with ALT-F12, go to the contracts tab, select these contracts, and complete them.  The thing is to get rid of them because something's gone wrong, and the longer it exists, the more damage it might do to the rest of your game.

12 hours ago, wibou7 said:

That seems weird to me... Can we see a screenshot of these two contracts? Something is not right.

Also... any mod installed?

Thanks, it does to me, too.  The first is a standard Kerbin rescue mission (which I completed with a manned launch; sorry can't show that one).  The problematic contract is here (I thought that I had included it in the OP but apparently not).  Completing the rescue contract, didn't complete the Launch contract.  Note that this 2nd contract now reflects the vessel's new name (I wanted to avoid accidentally cleaning up the debris by terminating it from the TS, so I renamed it).  Also, two sub-objectives are complete, even though there is no one in that vessel atm.

I think the names are a coincidence and that I have to physically retrieve the vessel from orbit and return it to Kerbin.  The confusing part is the launch requirement.

Mods?  Yes, 60-odd, and those ones affecting contracts are, I believe: CapCom, Contracts+, Contract Configurator, Contract Pack: Advanced Progression, Contract Pack: SCANSat, most of the USI ones, and Tarsier Space Technology.

@Geschosskopf, thanks for the suggestions.  Since rescuing to Kerbal didn't resolve the dilemma, I'm going to attempt to grab the part and deorbit it to splashdown.  If that doesn't work, I will force it as you recommended.

ContractConfigurator sometimes does weird things like this.

Sometimes the name of the craft will change to be the last craft you piloted, or the first one that the game finds that fits contract specs.
Try finishing the contract requirements with your launched craft and see if that will complete the contract, it might just be a display issue, instead of the contract actually requiring that specific craft to be in orbit.

6 hours ago, tutike2000 said:

Try finishing the contract requirements with your launched craft and see if that will complete the contract, it might just be a display issue, instead of the contract actually requiring that specific craft to be in orbit.

Thanks, but that's sort of the problem.  I didn't launch the craft that's the target of the contract.  It was a stranded pod from which I needed to rescue a Kerbal and, it appears, recover the vessel to Kerbin.  I haven't ever used the claw before so this is taking some time...but I'll get there.

Well, I successfully recovered the pod to Kerbin with the claw and completed the contract w/o having to resort to the Alt-F12 procedure.  Problem solved.

Now, of course, I'm getting the "Recover xxx part in orbit" contracts.

Thanks to all who helped out.  Your counsel was very valuable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.