More Launch Pads at KSC

I'm not against your idea but I have to question the practicality of it.

Since it's completely impossible to launch and control 2 ships at once, what would one use multiple launch pads for?

Also, the KSC is ideally situated to be an almost perfect launch site, launching from any where else on the planet would make getting to orbit significantly harder. I like the idea of having choices and some different scenery but I'm not sure the benefits would outweigh the effort it would take SQUAD to produce it.

28 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

...what would one use multiple launch pads for?

Also, the KSC is ideally situated to be an almost perfect launch site, launching from any where else on the planet would make getting to orbit significantly harder.

...the effort it would take SQUAD to produce it.

Multiple launch pads could make getting to inclined orbits a bit easier and, don't quote me on the math, would cost less delta-v (at least in my head). And  for the last point, there is an easter egg called KSC 2, where there is a separate space center at a higher latitude and already is biome-mapped to say 'KSC' when landed there.

4 minutes ago, Maximus97 said:

Multiple launch pads could make getting to inclined orbits a bit easier and, don't quote me on the math, would cost less delta-v (at least in my head). And  for the last point, there is an easter egg called KSC 2, where there is a separate space center at a higher latitude and already is biome-mapped to say 'KSC' when landed there.

I'm not saying there isn't any merit to launching from other places, but I was thinking more of the new player, who may be confused by his rocket making orbit from one pad, but not another.

If multiple launch pads were implemented I think they should be late game unlocks to avoid further complicating the learning process for rookie players.

Yeah, KSC 2 is a neat little easter egg, but It doesn't really do what the OP wants, since you can't launch from it stock.

Oh no, I wasn't saying it can do what the OP wants. I'm just saying it's there, and I imagine that with what Kerbal Konstructs has done it shouldn't be difficult to implement should SQUAD decide to do so. And for the new player, the default would of course be the equatorially-placed KSC, and you could switch from different ones. Maybe they could have a description saying "Oh, it's easier to launch from this pad," or "This is where you launch if you want such-and-such orbit." It would just be a part of the learning curve/wall to figure out how one's position on the globe affects launches, and would provide a new technique to master.

2 minutes ago, Maximus97 said:

Oh no, I wasn't saying it can do what the OP wants. I'm just saying it's there, and I imagine that with what Kerbal Konstructs has done it shouldn't be difficult to implement should SQUAD decide to do so. And for the new player, the default would of course be the equatorially-placed KSC, and you could switch from different ones. Maybe they could have a description saying "Oh, it's easier to launch from this pad," or "This is where you launch if you want such-and-such orbit." It would just be a part of the learning curve/wall to figure out how one's position on the globe affects launches, and would provide a new technique to master.

I gotta admit, it'd be really nice to look at some different scenery while launching rockets, I could probably paint a picture of the KSC overlooking the ocean and the airport island in my sleep by now.

I like your idea of each launch pad having an intended orbital destination as opposed to just sprinkling launch sites randomly all over Kerbin. Perhaps when playing career you would unlock them sequentially from easiest to hardest as you upgraded the KSC facilities. It may even need it's own "upgrade" menu where you pick and unlock stations by spending funds.

I mean if 1.1 just magically had this I certainly wouldn't complain but I'm not confident that SQUAD would see it as a priority in the foreseeable future. I think that it may sadly remain in the realm of modding for quite some time.

Inclined orbits cost the less from the equator until less then 1 degrees away from polar or backwards where kerbins spin actually hurts you.  Launching from the top of mount whoopstoshort would save you about 75? dv and 5% mass?  Most people carry way more margin to orbit and would not even notice.

Edited by Nich

Completely pointless and useless.

1)As I know, when multiplayer comes, players will have separte leunch sites(and probably could be outside MP), so this feature will be implemented, suggesting it is pointless

2)Lightning rods are completely pointless, as there are no lightnings in-game. The mod ones also deal no damage. Suggesting lightings would be even more pointless, as both dynamic environment and random malfunctions are being downvoted

3)If somehow lightning rods were necessary, they wouldn't be on the launch pad, just as in real life, they would be on the rockets.

9 hours ago, Abhishek Adhikari said:

I dont want to use any mod like Kerbal Konstructs for it. I want them KSP Stock.

This is the worst possible attitude of all when suggesting.

Sorry If I was too offensive.

Yeah, that was kind of offensive.

1. The OP didn't mention anything about multiplayer, just wanting extra launch locations for singleplayer, which might not be an option in singleplayer anyway even if multiplayer gives the option. Besides, who's to say the two people won't have to share a launch site? There could just be different launch pads at the current KSC. It's big enough.

2. The other people on the thread didn't really regard the lightning rod suggestion because it wasn't the focus of the discussion.

3. "Pointless" to have two points regarding lightning rods if that was the case.

15 hours ago, Maximus97 said:

I suggest more launch sites for this purpose only.

22 hours ago, CaptainTurbomuffin said:

Completely pointless and useless.

1)As I know, when multiplayer comes, players will have separte leunch sites(and probably could be outside MP), so this feature will be implemented, suggesting it is pointless

2)Lightning rods are completely pointless, as there are no lightnings in-game. The mod ones also deal no damage. Suggesting lightings would be even more pointless, as both dynamic environment and random malfunctions are being downvoted

3)If somehow lightning rods were necessary, they wouldn't be on the launch pad, just as in real life, they would be on the rockets.

This is the worst possible attitude of all when suggesting.

Sorry If I was too offensive.

Everything is fine after all we are discussing something. What I wanted to mean is that I don't want to use an add on for that it should be stock.

I don't quite see why multi-launch can't happen. If I want to launch two identical rockets, with a payload that's been lofted numerous times and/or covered by the shells to streamline, while using an often-used lofter.

You'd know every last bit of your launch pattern, so if you go for a simultaneous launch, and 'slave' the second rocket to mirror all commands given to the first one... something that can only be done with vertical rockets, with often used sub-assemblies perhaps?

I don't see any real benefit of multiple launchpads at the same site/location.

Maybe the ability to have several additional launch and landing/recovery facilities dotted about Kerbin would be a worthwhile addition at some point

Additional launch sites located elsewhere on Kerbin would definitely be useful for flights that will end up on highly-inclined or polar orbits.

Additional launchpads at the KSC itself? I've got mixed feelings about this:

- Personally, the only way having multiple launchpads located at the same site would be viable is if the game eventually came with a stock "facility turnover/downtime" feature similar to what @Chakat Firepaw suggested (i.e. preparing to launch from a second pad whilst the first is being reconditioned). I'm not sure if the potentially-improved immersion from this outweighs the added frustration to players, unless this is a late-game feature or a difficulty setting.

- The other issue is that at present, the launchpad fairly close to the VAB, and I suspect that it was deliberately done so to allow a Kerbal on EVA to walk to the main KSC buildings in a reasonable amount of time. To add additional launchpads to the KSC, the original pad would need to be moved much further away, to allow reasonable room/turning radius for fork(s) in the crawlerway.

As for lightning towers surrounding the launchpad? Probably only applicable when launching small rockets - bigger rockets are serviced by even larger launch towers/service structures that have their own built-in lightning rods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.