DEMO VERSION Challenge - Return from the Mun

Hi everyone

My math students had to try to use the free DEMO of the game to make it to the Mun and do a soft landing. they couldn't do it and said it was impossible so I made this video to prove to them that it was.

So now I'd like to see someone try to return from the Mun and land safely. See if you can

In the version 1.x Demo, can you fly to the Mun, soft-land, and return home?

Yes, yes you can.

The Launcher:

Iq5gJxr.png

Landing on Mun:

lknoSPE.png

Landing back home.

vXOOiDZ.png

HeY!!  That's not home! <Hands a map to the silly Kerbal>

And Home:

LGN64ZN.png

I had planned to land neatly back at KSC, but... NO HEATSHIELDS!!!

That makes a reentry from Minmus a bit of a hairy thing

fQVvbDx.png

Whole album below: way too many pics to show here

http://imgur.com/a/7CXN2

Okay so from the video, it looks like you get:

Mk1 Capsule, Stayputnik.
1/8th tank, 1/4 tank, fuel lines, small radial rcs.
Reliant, Hammer, Flea
4-way RCS, small reaction wheels
Struts, Starter girder, inline decoupler, launch clamps, starter radial decoupler.
Starter nose cone, second tailfin (Not the new yellow one)
Starter landing gear, parachute, one of the fold-out solar panels (1x6? 2x3? Dunno), non-extendable ladder, and the smallest battery.
Antenna, Goo, Science Jr.

The game seems to be 1.0.0 as well, though I bet 1.0.5 would be harder due to extra re-entry heat, no? In any case, I won't be trying this in 1.0.0 (I don't have it anymore), nor will I bother getting the demo. I may try to get to the mun and back with those parts though. I don't really think it'll be that hard, actually. The big problem will likely be not having a Terrier to be light and quick once in space.

Edited by 5thHorseman

2 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Okay so from the video, it looks like you get:

Mk1 Capsule, Stayputnik.

Cap: MK1 capsule, Stayputnik

Fuel: T100, T200, duct, round mono

Engine:t-30 (non-gimbal), SRB-hammer, SRB-flea

C&C: rcs, small reaction wheel.

Structure: Strut, short girder, tr18a decoupler, t38 decoupler, launch clamp.

.aero: nosecone/salad bowl, av-t1 basic fin

util: medium legs, mk16 para, 1x6 solar (non-retractable), ladder rungs, square battery

science: antenna, goo, science jr.

No mods, of course. not even Kerbal Engineer!

But also not extra part or mass limit, just nature's wobblyness when using teensy tanks

NB!

NO gimbal engines

NO steerable aero fins

NO heatshield!!!!!

Which demo is it?  If it's the 0.18 demo, then it's not all that difficult.  Sure, when I was first starting out, it was *really* hard, but with the experience I have now (I didn't know that the Mk1 capsule had reaction wheels, and didn't know how to soft-land), it'd be a piece of cake.

He is probably talking about the 1.0 demo version. It is totally possible to send Kerbals to the Mun (Minmus) and return them safely. I played that version before I bought the game for real and I did a lot of demo Mun and Minmus landings. At some point I got a bit bored of that and moved on to the art of rendezvous-ing...

If we are talking about school here, I am pretty sure, that say at the age of 16+ math-students should be able to solve that problem. Maybe not on their own, but let them work in groups and they should come up with a working solution after 1-2h. You probably need to tell them that SRBs are sub-optimal for a landing stage and that the T200 fuel tank has a better dry mass/full mass ratio than the T100, but with that information and the Isp at hand, it is basically nothing but counting fuel tanks and plugging the integer into a formula ...

Anyways, I guess I might give this a try on the weekend...

Although I suck at efficiency - maybe we should make this a challenge: Who gets to and returns from Mun/Minmus/whatever_celestial_body with the least demo-parts/the most Kerbals?

Edited by something

On 10/03/2016 at 0:53 PM, sevenperforce said:

Try it in career mode demo. No more than 30 parts; launch mass limit of 18.

The demo engine is quite heavy, and it's isp is not so good. Doing a Mun return under 18 tons is hard enough for us cavemen, not being able to use a small efficient engine would make what you are proposing impossible I think - prove me wrong please...  :cool:.

29 minutes ago, killakrust said:

The demo engine is quite heavy, and it's isp is not so good. Doing a Mun return under 18 tons is hard enough for us cavemen, not being able to use a small efficient engine would make what you are proposing impossible I think - prove me wrong please...  :cool:.

Well I certainly can't do it. Can't even reach the moon, let alone do a return.

If anyone can figure out a way to do it, I'd be impressed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.