Rocket Men - A Dramatized Depiction of My Career Save

Retrograde115

Here, I'll be cataloging major developments in my career save in the form of in-world emails, mission reports, radio transcripts, and various other primary sources. I'll also add mundane slice of life bits whenever I get bored in class and decide to write them. 

We begin now with one of those mundane bits.

------------------------------------------------------------------

{1 New Mail}

[Message 1] - Received 1-5, 4:32:46

To: Gene Kerman

Subject: “I think celebrations are in order.”

Hey, Gene!

I tried to call you earlier, but the line was busy. Then I tried to call a couple hours later and it was still busy! I’m sure that you boys in administration have your hands full with all the contracts and PR you have to deal with. How lucky I am to be the lowest bidder for a contract like this. I’ve already told you how thankful I am that you would hire such a ragtag company to construct your rocket parts.

Speaking of which, the boys over at the junkyard are putting the finishing touches on the second Flea prototype. Tell Wherner I’m confident the new model will explode in a much more orderly and controlled fashion, at least relative to our first test fire. I hope his moustache grows back soon!

On to the point, I’d like to hold a little get together to celebrate our first launch. It’s going to be a stressful two weeks for all of us leading up to the big day, and I feel like an after party would be in order. I’ve got a venue picked out already, with drinks and snacks planned. All I need is your go ahead, and to know whether anyone in your department is allergic to nuts. If you have any specific requests, let me know.

P.S. I hear you guys are having trouble finding someone to pilot the Flea. As CEO of Jebediah Kerman’s Junkyard and Spaceship Parts Company, and as an old test pilot for the Osean Air Force, I’ll gladly volunteer to be your first kerbonaut if you’ll have me.

[End of message]

-------

{2 New Mails}

[Message 1] - Received 1-5, 5:13:58

To: Jebediah Kerman

Subject: “Re: I think celebrations are in order.”

Dear Jebediah,

It’s good to hear that the Flea is on schedule. I’m sorry for the inconvenience with our telephone lines. We thought we had enough phones installed, but as soon as our little space endeavour went public the call center was overrun. I’m glad that people are so enthusiastic about space, but our secretaries are exhausted. I’m glad you messaged me on my personal email. I already have over 300 messages in my business account, and I just checked it two hours ago.

On the subject of an after party, I think that it would be very appropriate. I’ll just leave everything about that up to you, just send me the details so I can tell everyone where to be and at what time. My only request is that there be some good wine. I haven’t had a good drink in months with how busy we’ve been and how much my wife loathes having alcohol in the house. I’ll need to ask around about the peanut allergies.

On the subject of your request to pilot the Flea, I believe it can be arranged. None of our current pilots are exactly enthusiastic about riding an exploding metal tube into the sky. You’ll have to go through the standard training and testing procedures, of course, but given your flight record, I think you’ll perform very well. It might be good publicity for the CEO of the company building the rocket to put such faith in his mens’ work (which is especially needed, given the fact that the people know you’re literally working out of a junkyard). Please send in an application, and we can get the ball rolling. Someone will probably need to fill in for you at your company while you’re away. The training is intensive, and you will likely have very little time for much else.

Whatever you decide, good luck in the coming weeks. I’ll be looking forward to that drink.

Sincerely, Gene Kerman

[End of message]

[Message 2] - Received 1-6, 1:59:59

To: Jebediah Kerman’s Junkyard and Spaceship Parts Co.

Subject: “BILLING FILED”

Mr. Jebediah, this message is to inform you of the confirmation of funds paid to the Spatial Observation and Aeronautics Program (SOAP) for damages listed below.

• Drywall repair - $200

• Glass window repair x4 - $500

• Soot removal - $100

• Medical Expenses for Bob Kerman - $5000

• Psychological Treatment for Bill Kerman - $5500

• Landscaping repair - $1000

• Miscellaneous destruction of property - $5675

• Moustache replacement for Wherner von Kerman - $3

• Replacement of VAB mini-fridge $55

• Replacement of mini fridge snacks - $1000

• “Because you’re an idiot” - $24

Total Funds: $19057

If there are any discrepancies in billing, please file a claim with our customer service department.

[End of message]

Oops. Sounds like that didn't really go to plan. :) 

Nice writing - I like the email and letters format. Look forward to the next instalment when you have time to post it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.