[1.1.2] Phoenix Industries MAV-Like Ascent Vehicle (v.2.1)

-ctn-

CLS is Connected Living Space - it's a mod that restricts transfer of Kerbals in ships to parts that have pressurized connections.  Makes the game feel a lot more realistic when you can't just 'transfer' across 100m of girder and reactors, but have to think about whether you put a transfer tube in.  :wink:

Support is fairly easy; a MM config of two-three lines is usually enough.  Though you can get fairly detailed (which nodes in particular are passable, etc) if you want.

7 hours ago, Liquid5n0w said:

Yes I did, don't need it without DRE installed and it's heavy. 

Did you try it with the ablator on? If the ablator is set to 0 then KSP might be making the texture black, I believe it does this if you end up using all the ablator in game. 

The fix would be to make the heat shield a separate part than the pod. I may end up doing that. No promises yet, though. 

Edit: You could also remove the ablator module in the config file. 

Edited by -ctn-

Confirmed... Turning the ablator resource down will turn the part black. KSP does this for a cool effect on the stock heat shields, so as they burn up in the atmosphere they turn black. 

Because my pod part has a built in heat shield, the entire part turns black. 

You can remove the ablator module in the config file if you want to get rid of the mass and not use it or use stock heat shields with it. 

13 hours ago, -ctn- said:

Confirmed... Turning the ablator resource down will turn the part black. KSP does this for a cool effect on the stock heat shields, so as they burn up in the atmosphere they turn black. 

Because my pod part has a built in heat shield, the entire part turns black. 

You can remove the ablator module in the config file if you want to get rid of the mass and not use it or use stock heat shields with it. 

Thanks for the answer, you are right and I was just trying to reduce weight as much as possible. I figured I would only need a bit of ablator when returning from the moon and the stuff is damn heavy.

It's all good, it's kind of a weird problem to have and I'm glad it got tracked down. 

Im also not the greatest at balancing parts, so it may have way more ablator than it should, lol. 

29 minutes ago, -ctn- said:

It's all good, it's kind of a weird problem to have and I'm glad it got tracked down. 

Im also not the greatest at balancing parts, so it may have way more ablator than it should, lol. 

I suspect about 200 to 300 would be fine for an interplanetary reentry in DRE.  But I am not completely certain as I haven't used DRE a lot.

Now if you reduce it you might reduce the weight of the capsule by too much, so maybe put it weight up.

got the mod yesterday cool parts but i have 1 problem

it´s over powered i got it in to a stable orbit around kerbin (over 70km) launching  from the ksc. It´s made to get kerbals into a low orbit around kerbin. just saying great work otherwise:wink:

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2016 at 3:39 PM, rkarmark said:

got the mod yesterday cool parts but i have 1 problem

it´s over powered i got it in to a stable orbit around kerbin (over 70km) launching  from the ksc. It´s made to get kerbals into a low orbit around kerbin. just saying great work otherwise:wink:

There's more than just fuel tank, with the RCS thrusters and multiple engine mounts all in one part, but it's not otherwise very different from a stock fuel tank of similar size. In the book/movie it's not trying for a stable orbit (and the rocket-science involved in the rescue rendevous is pretty low-quality). The size/performance is close to something similar using stock parts.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have not had anyone complain about this mod in 1.1.3 besides the post above. 

Let me know if you run into issues and I will try to update it. I haven't had time to test it myself yet; busy with school and work at the moment. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2016 at 6:39 PM, SpaceFanatic said:

Does anyone know if this mod is compatible with 1.1.3?? I just want to be sure since Spacedock warns you if it's not "1.1.3"

It works, but using the multiple attachment points is very tricky.

I am probably using the wrong jargon, but objects have a "collision box", a very simple mesh structure. The collision boxes on the base unit and ascent stage enclose the attachment points, and sometimes the part you attach can be inside the collision box, so you cannot click on it.

This may be consequence of accumulated changes in KSP.

I did get the thing assembled, and I was able to land safely on Duna. 4 Terriers have enough thrust for a landing, but are very hard to fit. Longer engines can be worked with, they stick down far enough to be clicked on, but they have huge amounts of total thrust. The ascent stage can take six engines, but three ordinary 1.25m engines may be all you need on Duna

Incidentally, it would be nice if there were an Agency file included for Phoenix Industries. It looks to be necessary if you want to sort parts by manufacturer.

There's certainly something very like a collision mesh, and you can see the effects when you use radial attachment.

But I have also found that changing the order of attachment nodes makes a difference. Shifting the central bottom attachment node to the end of the list helps.

Hey everyone, just wanted to drop in and say I haven't forgotten about these mods.

For the new update, I'm going to try to make a more accurate collision mesh to make engine placements easier, and along with minor texture tweaks and CFG tweaks. It will be more of a balanced part, containing just enough dV for a Duna surface-to-Orbit launch. 

Stay tuned!

Edited by -ctn-

On 20/9/2016 at 1:41 AM, -ctn- said:

Hey everyone, just wanted to drop in and say I haven't forgotten about these mods.

For the new update, I'm going to try to make a more accurate collision mesh to make engine placements easier, and along with minor texture tweaks and CFG tweaks. It will be more of a balanced part, containing just enough dV for a Duna surface-to-Orbit launch. 

Stay tuned!

Hmm, and what about Orbit-to-surface? I mean, somehow it has to land.

1 hour ago, Glonor said:

Hmm, and what about Orbit-to-surface? I mean, somehow it has to land.

I would suggest parachutes and using the engines on the "base" stage. That's how I've been landing them, and how the vehicle appears to be designed to work. 

2 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

this looks awesome, does it have a built in ISRU?

On the original post:

"Landing base, with a built in hatch for ground access, an ISRU module that uses the Community Resource Pack to turn Carbon Dioxide into fuel, and four 1.25m engine mounts for powered landing...

...This mod is no longer packaged with the a Community Resource Pack. In order to utilize the ISRU aspect of the mod, please download the most recent version of the Community Resource Pack."

So yes, the base part has the ISRU capabilities. It works as recent as 1.1.3. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.