[1.1.3] Large Boat Parts Pack

Laythe2

Large Boat Parts Pack

Get it on SpaceDock

Get it on Curse

This mod gives you a vast assortment of pre made parts you can use to build ships.

Mods like VesselMover and WASD Editor camera or Hangar extender are recommended as your ships can get very big.

Textures are easy to edit. They are in .png format and they consist of different flat colors. If I add any other texture than a flat one then the texture would look very stretched.

A lot of parts are provided to make many different ships

If you use BDArmory plus any of its mods then you are in luck. These parts were designed to take a beating.

They wont explode easily.

Feel free to comment what you think. I can do requests also.

Have fun!

Here are some old videos:

Cruiser Vs Jet

Aircraft Carrier

Corvette Vs Spies

Edited by Laythe2
Updates

6 minutes ago, DuoDex said:

Nice! I would request improved textures maybe if possible? Though I like the flat dynamic as well - looks good from a distance.

I can do modeling. (To an extent) But textures I'm not the best at. What exactly would you want? More decals like waterlines or just more "texture" to the textures. Or maybe rust?

Edited by Laythe2

Nice parts pack.  I like the simplicity and large size, it lets vessels get pleasantly large while having plenty of part-count leftover, something other boat packs have definitely struggled with.

I'd say the engines need a reverse thrust setting and a thrust curve (pretty simple, I added them on my install already) and that you should add a big rudder, and then it will be near-perfect.  I wouldn't worry much about the (lack of) textures, textures on parts this big tend to look terrible because they're either so hugely expanded or displaying such obvious repetition.  The flat gray doesn't look good but it doesn't look all that bad either.

@strongest_2hu I solved the problem of needing a reverse thruster by adding a second water jet to the front, and going into action groups and setting it to breaks, that way when you push "b" it toggles it and when you release "b" it also turns off the breaks.

I'm also having an issue when I go to try to land on my air craft carrier and it will kraken me 100% of the time, is anyone else having this issue? thanks.

6 hours ago, Kerbal Kobain said:

I'm also having an issue when I go to try to land on my air craft carrier and it will kraken me 100% of the time, is anyone else having this issue? thanks.

that's an Issue With KSP, It should be fixed in 1.1 but right now. Looks like it's shakedown cruises Only sadly.

6 hours ago, Kerbal Kobain said:

@strongest_2hu I solved the problem of needing a reverse thruster by adding a second water jet to the front, and going into action groups and setting it to breaks, that way when you push "b" it toggles it and when you release "b" it also turns off the breaks.

About the Kraken, are you talking about when the vessel loads it shoots high up in the air? If so that is not a bug with my mod but a bug with KSP itself. It will get fixed in 1.1. Just increase your loading distance or park the ship on land to let it load in then place it in the water.

11 hours ago, strongest_2hu said:

Nice parts pack.  I like the simplicity and large size, it lets vessels get pleasantly large while having plenty of part-count leftover, something other boat packs have definitely struggled with.

I'd say the engines need a reverse thrust setting and a thrust curve (pretty simple, I added them on my install already) and that you should add a big rudder, and then it will be near-perfect.  I wouldn't worry much about the (lack of) textures, textures on parts this big tend to look terrible because they're either so hugely expanded or displaying such obvious repetition.  The flat gray doesn't look good but it doesn't look all that bad either.

I will add a reverse thrust setting when I redesign the engines. They were kind of rushed out when I got multiple requests to add engines.

1 hour ago, Laythe2 said:

About the Kraken, are you talking about when the vessel loads it shoots high up in the air? If so that is not a bug with my mod but a bug with KSP itself. It will get fixed in 1.1. Just increase your loading distance or park the ship on land to let it load in then place it in the water.

Thank you, Great mod by the way; the idea behind it is great and the execution is simple but effective. Really digging all of this. It's when I try to land a plane on it, it loads fine and goes in the water well but if I'm in a plane and approaching the ship, when it gets in view sight it blows my plane up and then when I load to the ship the thing goes up and down underwater. 

im back! quick few things: good job so far, having lots of fun with this mod pack, BD has a "Physics load distance" wonder if this could load the ship in at long range to allow long range combat?

the problem im having with the carrier is that my planes are launching off it when i am driving the carrier, could make a part to lock the plane in place like the one in infinite dices pack? 

Great mod! However, due to the ludicrous temperature caps and the way BDarmory models damage, ship-to-ship combat is nigh impossible. I don't know wether you need those to stop them from spontaneously combusting, but should you add bridges, please give them lower heat caps.

2 hours ago, ckirky said:

im back! quick few things: good job so far, having lots of fun with this mod pack, BD has a "Physics load distance" wonder if this could load the ship in at long range to allow long range combat?

the problem im having with the carrier is that my planes are launching off it when i am driving the carrier, could make a part to lock the plane in place like the one in infinite dices pack? 

About the load distance, I set mine to 12,000. Things load at around 9-10 KM. I tried using 22,000 but things would still load in at 9-10 KM (it would work the first time but go back) I'll dedicate an update to more carrier stuff soon. I just stop the carrier in the water to launch the planes. Leaving it running may result in a kraken attack.

Edited by Laythe2

2 hours ago, Trifonius said:

Great mod! However, due to the ludicrous temperature caps and the way BDarmory models damage, ship-to-ship combat is nigh impossible. I don't know wether you need those to stop them from spontaneously combusting, but should you add bridges, please give them lower heat caps.

A Bridge is currently a WIP. I'm having trouble with the IVA. I might just release the bridge without an IVA for now until I finish one.

About the indestructable-ness of the parts, I figured they would be balanced from other smaller weaker parts being able to get destroyed. Like a bridge, radars, towers, weapons, cameras, etc. If you want you can edit the configs to suit your style. But for now they will remain the same till I worry more about balance. It's better then having one missile rip your ship apart right?

Edited by Laythe2

24 minutes ago, EdusacconBR said:

Do you pretend to add hulls like dice ones? with elevators and stuff :D

If I were to add elevators then I would have to redesign the carrier parts. With the way unity makes collision meshes, if I were to make a working elevator and include it into one part with the hull then the craft you would want to transfer into the hull would not move with the elevator as the collision mesh wouldn't move. Only way to solve this is to break the hull into multiple parts with their own collision meshes. I could do that but it kinda goes against the "less part count" theme of the pack. If I get enough requests ill do it though. But that might mean the death of the existing carrier parts.

28 minutes ago, Kerbal Kobain said:

Hey OP, just curious which direction do you think your going with this mod? :) 

I really don't have a direction. I just want to provide and solve problems.

One day when playing KSP I made a ship out of b9 HX parts. It was a cruiser with around 40 to 50 cruise missiles. When I launched it it was the laggiest thing I made in a while. Tired of poor frame rate I decided to learn how to make a mod for KSP that adds the parts I needed. Which were large boat parts that I could make my warships out of. There were other boat parts out there but they were either too small, or to much parts.

I also kind of want to make another mod for ground stuff also. (like parts you can use to build your own tanks with low part count.)

Edited by Laythe2

Are there parts that will work with VLS (Like in Malfunc's armory) without requiring part clipping? (eg. structure with an open deck) It'd be nice to have a ship that can fire off missiles without destroying the deck. :) I built big ships with the B9 HX parts too, but this seems like the perfect solution to reducing part count.

19 minutes ago, XOC2008 said:

Are there parts that will work with VLS (Like in Malfunc's armory) without requiring part clipping? (eg. structure with an open deck) It'd be nice to have a ship that can fire off missiles without destroying the deck. :) I built big ships with the B9 HX parts too, but this seems like the perfect solution to reducing part count.

I might as well make parts for VLS use. The hull will be split into 3 parts because if I just cut a hole then the mesh set in unity wouldn't wrap around it. It will be a short section you can build behind the bow or in front of the stern for the tubes. I wont make it fit just malfunc's stuff because I don't know the dimensions but there will be a hole there.

I've been fooling around with these parts a bit (By which I may mean twenty hours in-game time allready :) ), and I love them. True, the textures and design don't seem the greatest, but that lets you add all the uniqueness you want in other ways, and saves memory footprint. Already, I've had twenty-something different battles- including a close-in fight between a carrier and a distroyer -and discovered just how bad at running BD armory I am :)

Although, if I could make one suggestion- an anchor, which animates as it dropping, but in actuality acts as a large parachute to quickly slow ships in the water.

Edited by AlbertKermin

On 3/5/2016 at 7:39 PM, Laythe2 said:
On 3/5/2016 at 7:07 PM, XOC2008 said:

I might as well make parts for VLS use. The hull will be split into 3 parts because if I just cut a hole then the mesh set in unity wouldn't wrap around it. It will be a short section you can build behind the bow or in front of the stern for the tubes. I wont make it fit just malfunc's stuff because I don't know the dimensions but there will be a hole there.

Ive made the parts and will release them in the next update. But there is a problem. The ordinance cant go below the waterline so the VLS tubes from malfuncs pack wont fit all the way. but if you don't use those tubes the ordinance should be hidden.

On 3/5/2016 at 8:24 PM, AlbertKermin said:

I've been fooling around with these parts a bit (By which I may mean twenty hours in-game time allready :) ), and I love them. True, the textures and design don't seem the greatest, but that lets you add all the uniqueness you want in other ways, and saves memory footprint. Already, I've had twenty-something different battles- including a close-in fight between a carrier and a distroyer -and discovered just how bad at running BD armory I am :)

Although, if I could make one suggestion- an anchor, which animates as it dropping, but in actuality acts as a large parachute to quickly slow ships in the water.

Well There already is an anchor in KAS. Next engine iteration will have reverse thrust so slowing ships down shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Laythe2

9 hours ago, Laythe2 said:

Ive made the parts and will release them in the next update. But there is a problem. The ordinance cant go below the waterline so the VLS tubes from malfuncs pack wont fit all the way. but if you don't use those tubes the ordinance should be hidden.

Well There already is an anchor in KAS. Next engine iteration will have reverse thrust so slowing ships down shouldn't be a problem.

Ok. I guess until then, I'll just have to keep sticking scaled-up airbrakes underneath my ships. :)

9 hours ago, Laythe2 said:

Nothing a bit of tweakscale can't fix! :)