[1.1.3] Large Boat Parts Pack

Laythe2

18 hours ago, AirShark said:

Just gotta say that I'm really liking this part pack and just how simple it is to use! 

-

Just a suggestion. Maybe when you have the time, you could make a series of hulls that taper inwards towards the waterline, rather than being flat. What I mean is something like the hull on modern stealth ships, like the Iver-Huitfeld class:

thumb_600x1000_3fb5ed13af_1416970714.jpg

Also, maybe have some bow that has a subtle curve in the keel, like most modern stealth warships. Like the Admiral-Gorshkov class (notice the downwards bending keel starting at the bow). 

f_c2F2ZXBpYy5vcmcvMjY2Mjc3Mi5qcGc.jpeg 

And finally, having some parts to make stacks/funnels, like the ones on the Iver Huitfeld (note the side funnels/stacks)...

638px-Iver_Huitfeldt-klassen.jpg

... or the Halifax Class (notice the large flat funnel in the middle, with the red maple leaf)

toronto.jpg

These are just some ideas for future parts, and having parts like those would be like extra icing on an already delicious cake! Keep up the awesome work! 

I am wondering if I should just redesign the existing parts or make new ones. There are already a lot of parts as of now. Ive been wanting to get rid of the flat bottom-ness of the hulls for a while now.

8 hours ago, Laythe2 said:

I am wondering if I should just redesign the existing parts or make new ones. There are already a lot of parts as of now. Ive been wanting to get rid of the flat bottom-ness of the hulls for a while now.

Well if I were to redesign the parts, I would keep one series of hulls as flat bottom-ness (no incline) as not all ships have an inclined hull (so maybe the large ship hull), and just redesign the rest. 

Or maybe make a new series of parts, I wouldn't mind having some extra parts. 

But I gotta say, the parts that are already in the pack are pretty wicked since they are soooo simple, but you can create quite a lot of different shapes with them. Here's my first creation using the pack, though I did re-texture the parts. 
dCwbGvI.png

7 hours ago, AirShark said:

Well if I were to redesign the parts, I would keep one series of hulls as flat bottom-ness (no incline) as not all ships have an inclined hull (so maybe the large ship hull), and just redesign the rest. 

Or maybe make a new series of parts, I wouldn't mind having some extra parts. 

But I gotta say, the parts that are already in the pack are pretty wicked since they are soooo simple, but you can create quite a lot of different shapes with them. Here's my first creation using the pack, though I did re-texture the parts. 
dCwbGvI.png

That's really clean looking! I see you got the VLS tubes to work completely flush to the hull. Did you need to do anything special? I can't get them to work unless I leave them stuck up out of the hull a bit.

On 3/20/2016 at 0:34 PM, Fecb301 said:

what is the mod pack of the ddg 1000 railgun?

The guns you see on the ship aren't actually the guns on the real life DDG 1000. Its the railguns from NED.

I thought about making a weapons pack but there are so many I just don't do it.

Edited by Laythe2
add stuff

12 hours ago, V8jester said:

That's really clean looking! I see you got the VLS tubes to work completely flush to the hull. Did you need to do anything special? I can't get them to work unless I leave them stuck up out of the hull a bit.

Thanks!

I offset the VLS (with the missiles in-place) into the hull with the VLS just sticking out a tiny bit (not entirely flush). Then I enabled "Part Clipping" in the cheat page and I disabled "collision check" or something like that from the BD Armory in-game settings. 

1 minute ago, Fecb301 said:

What is CoM?

CoM - Center of mass

CoT - Center of thrust

CoL - Center of lift

you can see each of these by pressing there icons in the VAB or SPH (bottom left corner of screen by symmetry icons)

3 hours ago, V8jester said:

CoM - Center of mass

CoT - Center of thrust

CoL - Center of lift

you can see each of these by pressing there icons in the VAB or SPH (bottom left corner of screen by symmetry icons)

V8Jester you make some of the most beautiful things in ksp. Ive looked through your stuff.

1 minute ago, Laythe2 said:

V8Jester you make some of the most beautiful things in ksp. Ive looked through your stuff.

Thanks man! I really appreciate that.

It's really all you guys that make the mods. I was just that kid that stayed in my room for weeks on end with Legos covering every square inch of the floor :)

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

Thanks man! I really appreciate that.

It's really all you guys that make the mods. I was just that kid that stayed in my room for weeks on end with Legos covering every square inch of the floor :)

Those were the best of days.....

Is there way to fire from VLS missiles without collision chech off? Or is there way for MalFunc modder to code bypass of it? At MalFunc topic people didn't answer....I'll try write there again...

50 minutes ago, Andre_ACE5 said:

could you had a ship hull with a cargo bay  what i mean is a hull with a very large rectangular shaped hole so i could put stuff like missiles and stuff so they could launch upwards .btw great mod 

Malfunc's armory has VLS tubes which you can attach a missile inside and then offset into the hull. It seems that it works for most people, though some still have problems with missiles firing through these hulls without exploding, so YMMV. He used to have "VLS hull" parts, but he didn't find they worked as well as he'd hoped, so discontinued them.

7 hours ago, XOC2008 said:

Malfunc's armory has VLS tubes which you can attach a missile inside and then offset into the hull. It seems that it works for most people, though some still have problems with missiles firing through these hulls without exploding, so YMMV. He used to have "VLS hull" parts, but he didn't find they worked as well as he'd hoped, so discontinued them.

Link for Malfunc's armory? pls.

@Laythe2 I was curious. I doubt anyone has tried this but I did.... I scaled down a couple of hull parts and built the overall shape of the Zumwalt turret shrouds. I then attempted to use IR to move some of those scaled hull pieces. As soon as I touched the button to move the turret. Everything blew apart. The other thing I tried was to simply clip a Malfunc weapons turret inside the shrouds I built from LBP. While the turrets would aim / fire. The animation remained stationary inside the hulls.  I would assume the hulls are setup like a strut? Or did you do something else in Unity that could cause this kind of behavior? I wouldn't really call this a bug report as I seriously doubt you every intended the boat parts to be attached to IR parts.

Edited by V8jester

21 hours ago, V8jester said:

@Laythe2 I was curious. I doubt anyone has tried this but I did.... I scaled down a couple of hull parts and built the overall shape of the Zumwalt turret shrouds. I then attempted to use IR to move some of those scaled hull pieces. As soon as I touched the button to move the turret. Everything blew apart. The other thing I tried was to simply clip a Malfunc weapons turret inside the shrouds I built from LBP. While the turrets would aim / fire. The animation remained stationary inside the hulls.  I would assume the hulls are setup like a strut? Or did you do something else in Unity that could cause this kind of behavior? I wouldn't really call this a bug report as I seriously doubt you every intended the boat parts to be attached to IR parts.

Well maybe its an issue with IR. If you scale any of the hull parts and use them in the water they really mess up. Can you share a screenshot?

2 minutes ago, Laythe2 said:

Well maybe its an issue with IR. If you scale any of the hull parts and use them in the water they really mess up. Can you share a screenshot?

Sure I'll see if maybe I can make a temporary video and just dump it after you see it.