[1.1.3] Large Boat Parts Pack

Laythe2

10 hours ago, ckirky said:

you could add modular hull with a style switcher like in firespitter with a right click menu to cycle through the preset hulls for the number of decks and the style of deck eg: the styles could have a completely open one, one with a single deck splitting the hull in two, multiple rooms per deck and ramps etc. maybe even one with a built in VLS with animated covers(could try to make a concept idea in blender if you guys want....)

If you can make a proof of concept that would be amazing, Im not a modeler but would love to test it out in game!

I love this idea!

I can't seem to sink my submarine? Made it full scale to avoid the tweakscale issues. All 4 Kerbals aboard. Dumped my water... I even turned on SAS and tilted it to facing completely straight down, full throttle. No luck.

What else am I supposed to do here?

Oops, I tried the other direction (up)... Initially, I thought, "oh hey, it's flying". Then after a while, I realized it was able to get to orbit and beyond. I accidentally sent my crew on an interstellar trajectory.

The submarine is a single stage to anywhere craft.

Edited by Aloriel

16 hours ago, MasseFlieger said:

If you can make a proof of concept that would be amazing, Im not a modeler but would love to test it out in game!

I love this idea!

i'll see what i can get for you

just starting in blender and having a few problems with exports but once that is fixed i should have some models to try out

Edited by ckirky

This is what happens when I use any texture other than a flat one on my parts: ZHueUmf.jpg

On 5/21/2016 at 4:10 PM, Aloriel said:

I can't seem to sink my submarine? Made it full scale to avoid the tweakscale issues. All 4 Kerbals aboard. Dumped my water... I even turned on SAS and tilted it to facing completely straight down, full throttle. No luck.

What else am I supposed to do here?

Oops, I tried the other direction (up)... Initially, I thought, "oh hey, it's flying". Then after a while, I realized it was able to get to orbit and beyond. I accidentally sent my crew on an interstellar trajectory.

The submarine is a single stage to anywhere craft.

Hmm. make sure water is pumping into it.

2 hours ago, Laythe2 said:

This is what happens when I use any texture other than a flat one on my parts: ZHueUmf.jpg

I think the next step is to make a normal map to add depth and details to the parts? I'm no modeller, sorry, just what I've seen discussed before.

Stock parts are hand painted, the original boat parts textures weren't much different from this.

Edited by colmo

13 hours ago, Laythe2 said:

i think that this might help...

made by @LORDPrometheus, the maker or P.E.W BD addon

@Laythe2 Hiya, just passing by and saw the post on your texture troubles,  from what i can see in the image your issues are texture stretching, this is inherited from the UV map, I know that its a major irritation mapping these large parts, with how big the texture space is compare to the size of the part it can be difficult to work out how best to map it. If your interested I'd be happy to take a look at remapping the parts for you, I'm probably in the minority when i say I find uv mapping quite relaxing.

Spoiler

N7Gt60M.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

hi im using that mod in the 1.1.2 version and i have the problem that my ships are drifting through the water. but the mod is great. its near to be the greatest mod ever i have seen.

Edited by flori1994

On 02/06/2016 at 9:29 PM, flori1994 said:

hi im using that mod in the 1.1.2 version and i have the problem that my ships are drifting through the water. but the mod is great. its near to be the greatest mod ever i have seen.

Hi, curious to know what you mean by "drifting through the water" do you mean they are constantly moving? sinking? flying?

On 3/28/2016 at 4:28 PM, Laythe2 said:

I think i see the problem. TweakScale messes with the buoyancy of the parts. If your sub has ANYTHING tweak scaled on it it wont sink.

Does this mean TweakScale applied to parts or TweakScale Installed at all? I am seeing the same problem where I cant get my submarine to sink.

Edited by gomker
clarity

Help!! My ship seems to somersault ( complete 360 degrees) when it spawns. That means when I load it from space center ( its already in water) or when I am flying another vessel ( a fighter jet meant to destroy the ship) and the ship comes in view, the  ship somersaults like a seal thus dodging the missiles I fired on it. Every boat mod I every had had some sort of issue similar to this ( like breaking into pieces, sinking and  again resurfacing, etc). Is there a way to fix it? BTW I am also using NANA sinking mod and maritime pack config ( required for sinking mod?) 

Edit: - I tried removing the sinking mod and the maritime config. No luck. The temporary fix is to place the ship in shallow water where part of the hull touches the floor. This fixes it,, idk why. 

Edited by Aditya

3 hours ago, Aditya said:

Help!! My ship seems to somersault ( complete 360 degrees) when it spawns. That means when I load it from space center ( its already in water) or when I am flying another vessel ( a fighter jet meant to destroy the ship) and the ship comes in view, the  ship somersaults like a seal thus dodging the missiles I fired on it. Every boat mod I every had had some sort of issue similar to this ( like breaking into pieces, sinking and  again resurfacing, etc). Is there a way to fix it? BTW I am also using NANA sinking mod and maritime pack config ( required for sinking mod?) 

Edit: - I tried removing the sinking mod and the maritime config. No luck. The temporary fix is to place the ship in shallow water where part of the hull touches the floor. This fixes it,, idk why. 

nope, no fix is available to this. from what i hear this is like this?

the only way to avoid this is keep all active craft within 5km of each other. this is because the load distance is at 5km and if your boat is in the water when it is loaded.... it becomes a airborne vessel. so load your boats and park them on land and repeat until all the vessels that you want are loaded on land then move them all into the water without going back to the space center or sph to avoid airborne ships.

3 hours ago, Aditya said:

Hi this is something that effects everybody to a greater or lesser degree, some things I've found that can help.  As you say have a portion of your ship on dry land.  Build and launch light then ballast to suit.  Leaving your vessels a long way away from KSC seems to help. the closer to ksc the worse it gets, To this end I have created a KK spawn point that's be hing the abandoned island airfield and this seems to have fixed my flying ship issues for now.  It does seem that there is no rhyme of reason to why this issue is so random with who it affects, a lot of the trouble is the physics step from the vessel coming off rails while splashed, especially from heavy vessels, as i understand it from reading NathanKells stuff the game was never intended to run 1000 ton ships, that said i remember water being pretty normal, if a bit gloopy pre 1.

22 hours ago, gomker said:

Does this mean TweakScale applied to parts or TweakScale Installed at all? I am seeing the same problem where I cant get my submarine to sink.

We may however be able to find a scale exponent we can manipulate to make this less of an occurrence. I will look into it.

In other news due to communication issues Laythe2  has found it more and more difficult to maintain this mod, and lets be honest it's not the easiest thing to maintain a mod as large as this.To this End and until further notice I will be babysitting this mod, trying to resolve some of the issues , tweak textures and bring you some new stuff.  There'll be a bit of a quiet spell while i get familiar with everything and the we should be good to go

And as a little teaser of some of the stuff that may or may not make it into this mod

Spoiler

4 hours ago, stickman939 said:

Has anyone found a way to keep the ships from launching into the sky when you get into physics range?

Hiya as Colmo has said KJR helps but the only sure fire way to beat it is to build lighter ships, and ships with less individual parts in contact with the water. fair enough it's not and ideal situation and you all want monsters, I have a leaning to the smaller faster stuff, missile patrol boat sort of thing, but there's nothing you can do with 1000 tonnes that I cant do with 280 and i can have 4 of them in the same area without too many issues.

Thanks for all the positive messages etc since i announced the take over.

I've looked through all this mod has to offer and no reflection on Laythe but the engine option is not good, engines mounted on transoms (the flat bit at the back)  produce incorrect forces upon the hull, and they feel nothing like a prop driven vessel ( 30years marine engineer btw)  I have as part of a personal project developed some proper marine drives, not some re purposed rocket engine, proper drives with propellers, shafts, and A brackets, they've passed all the tweakscale issues with flying colors so can be tiny or huge, currently available in traditional shaft and screw and Z drive formats, These complete with reverse and proper throttle controlled prop speed (no dependencies) will be the first parts introduced.

kZ2covN.png

3zSRoyQ.png

WmODGVN.png

AEdwv4J.png

On 6/5/2016 at 4:22 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi this is something that effects everybody to a greater or lesser degree, some things I've found that can help.  As you say have a portion of your ship on dry land.  Build and launch light then ballast to suit.  Leaving your vessels a long way away from KSC seems to help. the closer to ksc the worse it gets, To this end I have created a KK spawn point that's be hing the abandoned island airfield and this seems to have fixed my flying ship issues for now.  It does seem that there is no rhyme of reason to why this issue is so random with who it affects, a lot of the trouble is the physics step from the vessel coming off rails while splashed, especially from heavy vessels, as i understand it from reading NathanKells stuff the game was never intended to run 1000 ton ships, that said i remember water being pretty normal, if a bit gloopy pre 1.

We may however be able to find a scale exponent we can manipulate to make this less of an occurrence. I will look into it.

In other news due to communication issues Laythe2  has found it more and more difficult to maintain this mod, and lets be honest it's not the easiest thing to maintain a mod as large as this.To this End and until further notice I will be babysitting this mod, trying to resolve some of the issues , tweak textures and bring you some new stuff.  There'll be a bit of a quiet spell while i get familiar with everything and the we should be good to go

And as a little teaser of some of the stuff that may or may not make it into this mod

Hide contents

aha! finally this mod gets a refresher thanks to you!

keep up the good work!

EDIT:

hey all, making a "Pop-up" hangar piece for the pack form the medium hull. could i ask for what size your craft are that you may wish to store inside this? i.e 75% of the width and 1/3 or the depth. this will let me make the lift and doors to the right size. thanks

Edited by ckirky

On 06/06/2016 at 7:14 PM, ckirky said:

aha! finally this mod gets a refresher thanks to you!

keep up the good work!

EDIT:

hey all, making a "Pop-up" hangar piece for the pack form the medium hull. could i ask for what size your craft are that you may wish to store inside this? i.e 75% of the width and 1/3 or the depth. this will let me make the lift and doors to the right size. thanks

Great stuff looking forward to seeing it.

In a similar vein I've almost finished a couple of new parts, expected delivery, as soon as I'm happy.   First two items based on the bare canvas that is the "Small Modern Superstructure Middle" a big block with nothing happening :) 

First conversion pictured below is a full length hangar, not massive at default size, 9x6x3mtrs , takes my minisub just nicely. With  lights (though still not happy with that bit) in standard white, door is opening red, and (just cos reasons) a green night lighting option   not forgetting the animated door of course.

The tweakscale option should make a big enough hangar for most, this was the first pass at adding some life to the textures, I'll await your opinions :) .

Next conversion of the same base part, is a two bay VLS space, each bay is 4x2x2.9 deep again not massive but again works well with smaller missile, my latest ship killing missile experiments suit perfectly, The bays are as mentioned separated, each having it''s own animated cover, and a little experiment in the form of the rear unused part being opened up into two accessible decks,

While i was monkeying around with those I as a bit of light relief made a nice drive new unit, in the out drive leg style for a first as it gave me the opportunity to use the nozzle part of Laythe's water jet, with a little editing it was perfect for my needs. With gimbal from the gear box pivot , the whole nozzle and prop assembly moves in unison. A large four bladed crescent style prop completes the setup, it was first exported as a contra rotating duo prop, but the shape of the blades muted the effect and as it's underwater it's not like anyone's gonna be gazing dreamily at it anyway (rofl)

A couple of minor deco items, an open version of the small tower, in, with or without emissive nav light flavours, i re textured the existing tower, a smaller mast with nav lights and plenty of mounting brackets for radars antennas etc..

OO yeah and  found an old defunct animation sounds plugin, that the noob plugin author in me couldn't resist, a bit of cursing later and it's all working as intended.  so maybe  if you can stand a little plugin you can have a fog horn and or a klaxon set up.  I like animations and the chance to add sound to them is a little irresistible.

Also started work on the Agencies stuff so all the parts will be easily accessible from the manufacturers tab, only done the moderns at this point  but it's also working very well.  although the icons are a bit meh at present.  There's likely more but that'll do for now, have a look at some screenshots

20 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Great stuff looking forward to seeing it.

In a similar vein I've almost finished a couple of new parts, expected delivery, as soon as I'm happy.   First two items based on the bare canvas that is the "Small Modern Superstructure Middle" a big block with nothing happening :) 

First conversion pictured below is a full length hangar, not massive at default size, 9x6x3mtrs , takes my minisub just nicely. With  lights (though still not happy with that bit) in standard white, door is opening red, and (just cos reasons) a green night lighting option   not forgetting the animated door of course.

The tweakscale option should make a big enough hangar for most, this was the first pass at adding some life to the textures, I'll await your opinions :) .

Next conversion of the same base part, is a two bay VLS space, each bay is 4x2x2.9 deep again not massive but again works well with smaller missile, my latest ship killing missile experiments suit perfectly, The bays are as mentioned separated, each having it''s own animated cover, and a little experiment in the form of the rear unused part being opened up into two accessible decks,

While i was monkeying around with those I as a bit of light relief made a nice drive new unit, in the out drive leg style for a first as it gave me the opportunity to use the nozzle part of Laythe's water jet, with a little editing it was perfect for my needs. With gimbal from the gear box pivot , the whole nozzle and prop assembly moves in unison. A large four bladed crescent style prop completes the setup, it was first exported as a contra rotating duo prop, but the shape of the blades muted the effect and as it's underwater it's not like anyone's gonna be gazing dreamily at it anyway (rofl)

A couple of minor deco items, an open version of the small tower, in, with or without emissive nav light flavours, i re textured the existing tower, a smaller mast with nav lights and plenty of mounting brackets for radars antennas etc..

OO yeah and  found an old defunct animation sounds plugin, that the noob plugin author in me couldn't resist, a bit of cursing later and it's all working as intended.  so maybe  if you can stand a little plugin you can have a fog horn and or a klaxon set up.  I like animations and the chance to add sound to them is a little irresistible.

Also started work on the Agencies stuff so all the parts will be easily accessible from the manufacturers tab, only done the moderns at this point  but it's also working very well.  although the icons are a bit meh at present.  There's likely more but that'll do for now, have a look at some screenshots

good to see these new parts!

the thing people may need for use of this part is infernal robotics to allow their crafts to have a nearly nonexistant wing span to fir in the bay due to the fact that none of the craft i make have such a small wingspan.

may flip thisidea round as and underside ejector for your mini sub when attached to a docking port.....hmmmmm:huh:

i made a "concept" idea for the VLS system for the sub hull and got permission from @TMasterson5 to use his launch tubes and missiles in the part. the only problem was that my experiment to cut holes into the plane on top either resulted in a narrowing tube or a blocky hole cut into the plane. once i have gotten this thing to work i may do more things for this, mostly they will be hangar pieces or VLS systems in the ships. either that or an actual hangar for the carrier parts. 

as for your spinning prop problem, i started editing an old B52 mod to give it animated bay doors.......except the bay door acted like a helo blade in the animation......my animation skills still need a bit of work.

Edited by ckirky

13 minutes ago, ckirky said:

Stuff

Hi, I have no prop problem, they always work as intended, after modding this game since 2012 it'd be a pretty poor show if they didn't. I think you have misunderstood .My texturing may be average, my modelling may vary from passable to bleh, but no matter how fugly things are they always work as intended. 

As for cutting holes, if you use blender there was a nifty tutorial in the modelling and texturing section, I use max and we have have our own double edged ways of cutting holes. 

VLS in subs,rofl been there tried and died in a million ways. Even built  custom missiles and funky launchers, all of which work well anywhere except a sub. Ships easy, sub launches , may actually be one of the trickiest things to achieve successfully

8 of 16 BGM 109 courtesy of LP (now i make my own) , and a little tip be creative with colliders, what it looks like does not have to be what the game see's, you don't need to form each individual tube and all its colliders, you just have to convince the game that is what you have done , the whole bay , not including doors or hull. just the important parts consists of only 8 box colliders. Quite happy launching when surfaced, just don't try it submerged, i actually had a part of a test ship crash into Kerbol (the sun) it's simply a big bit of kraken bait

S6XtNMF.png

QEPY726.png

50 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

VLS in subs,rofl been there tried and died in a million ways. Even built  custom missiles and funky launchers, all of which work well anywhere except a sub. Ships easy, sub launches , may actually be one of the trickiest things to achieve successfully

S6XtNMF.png

QEPY726.png

Blue Hawk Industries has a completely functional Submarine VLS hull section. After much trial and error I was able to get it pretty fine tuned to work properly.

Mod link in my signature

Hi back again with some very good news, thanks to the tip from @TMasterson5 and quick look  at his painfully obvious cfg solution:rolleyes:    I now have a fully and so far hassle free working submarine VLS, capable of launches from 100 mtrs below the surface. This just leaves me to fit LBP's sub with the same system

Screenshots or it didn't happen!  i know,     though have you ever tried to sync a screenshot with a launch of a missile, while submerged, while riding the biggest Kraken bait  ever constructed.  So the evidence, the pics are big but the Tomahawks are quite small compared to the sub that launched them and the Ocean, but you can clearly see a submerged sub firing missiles, the shots actually cover a ripple launch of three but they scan together nicely, the last shot you can just makes out a vague smoke trails as the missile gets airborne,

Spoiler

ERIYCeu.png

Spoiler

jOvJgyW.png

Spoiler

3EGQ0Zk.png?1