[1.1.3] Large Boat Parts Pack

Laythe2

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi back again with some very good news, thanks to the tip from @TMasterson5 and quick look  at his painfully obvious cfg solution:rolleyes:    I now have a fully and so far hassle free working submarine VLS, capable of launches from 100 mtrs below the surface. This just leaves me to fit LBP's sub with the same system

Screenshots or it didn't happen!  i know,     though have you ever tried to sync a screenshot with a launch of a missile, while submerged, while riding the biggest Kraken bait  ever constructed.  So the evidence, the pics are big but the Tomahawks are quite small compared to the sub that launched them and the Ocean, but you can clearly see a submerged sub firing missiles, the shots actually cover a ripple launch of three but they scan together nicely, the last shot you can just makes out a vague smoke trails as the missile gets airborne,

Reveal hidden contents

ERIYCeu.png

Reveal hidden contents

jOvJgyW.png

Reveal hidden contents

3EGQ0Zk.png?1

Here for you sir. Nice work! Look forward to using it. 

12 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, I have no prop problem, they always work as intended, after modding this game since 2012 it'd be a pretty poor show if they didn't. I think you have misunderstood .My texturing may be average, my modelling may vary from passable to bleh, but no matter how fugly things are they always work as intended. 

As for cutting holes, if you use blender there was a nifty tutorial in the modelling and texturing section, I use max and we have have our own double edged ways of cutting holes. 

VLS in subs,rofl been there tried and died in a million ways. Even built  custom missiles and funky launchers, all of which work well anywhere except a sub. Ships easy, sub launches , may actually be one of the trickiest things to achieve successfully

8 of 16 BGM 109 courtesy of LP (now i make my own) , and a little tip be creative with colliders, what it looks like does not have to be what the game see's, you don't need to form each individual tube and all its colliders, you just have to convince the game that is what you have done , the whole bay , not including doors or hull. just the important parts consists of only 8 box colliders. Quite happy launching when surfaced, just don't try it submerged, i actually had a part of a test ship crash into Kerbol (the sun) it's simply a big bit of kraken bait

S6XtNMF.png

QEPY726.png

beat me to the VLS system!

Good job thought, they look much better than my concept idea.

most of the things that i will be "trying" to make will general be with cargo hays, hangars or any kind or interior space, so i may work on the carrier hulls next.

18 hours ago, ckirky said:

ist in the works but the models is basically finished

let me know what your think!

It's good, I see what you are trying to do, doors open deck lifts up for deployment, think about splitting the doors in two parts (concertina style) ,so when open they don't extend outside the hull boundary.

If you are thinking of attaching another part to the elevating section it will stay put when the object animates, this is because when you attach a part to another part you are despite appearances attaching the part to the root game object, that is the base co-ords for the object. If your part is intended as a deck lift type part it should be fine though as parts sitting on but not attached to an animation will move with the animation,

Tip, make the animation really slow, this prevents issues with the part being lifted being shaken around or worse launched(lols) and it conveys some weight meaning that it moves as if it's very heavy( which it would be)  For VLS type lifts the whole hull section will in effect have to become a Baha turret (just a module in the cfg)

If you want to match existing colors just copy a png from the mod and copy the colors.

I have no idea how to code, but can someone make a MM patch that makes these a bit less OP? Like, able to explode from the broadside of a Yamato  replica using the naval weapons BD Armory mod?

7 hours ago, TronX33 said:

I have no idea how to code, but can someone make a MM patch that makes these a bit less OP? Like, able to explode from the broadside of a Yamato  replica using the naval weapons BD Armory mod?

Yes i know, there are several things that are about to get a substantial reworking, the indestructibility being the primary issue and then the weight and buoyancy

On 6/5/2016 at 7:07 AM, Aditya said:

Help!! My ship seems to somersault ( complete 360 degrees) when it spawns. That means when I load it from space center ( its already in water) or when I am flying another vessel ( a fighter jet meant to destroy the ship) and the ship comes in view, the  ship somersaults like a seal thus dodging the missiles I fired on it. Every boat mod I every had had some sort of issue similar to this ( like breaking into pieces, sinking and  again resurfacing, etc). Is there a way to fix it? BTW I am also using NANA sinking mod and maritime pack config ( required for sinking mod?) 

Edit: - I tried removing the sinking mod and the maritime config. No luck. The temporary fix is to place the ship in shallow water where part of the hull touches the floor. This fixes it,, idk why. 

Researching this issue I came across a post claiming that having FAR installed fixed this issue. I tried it and it did indeed work for me, boats and subs of all sizes did not explode during load.

Only thing is now I have to tweak the crap out of my planes - I like the idea of FAR  but it feels like I need an advanced degree in mathematics to use it right.

I wonder if the physics part that affects water/loading could be extracted somehow as a mod just for fixing this issue. 

5 hours ago, Hellbrand said:

Cant seem to get my subs to submerge Nomatter how much ballast on them >_> do i need another supporting mod or...  what?

Hi, the sub as it stands floats like a cork which is part of the problem, as part of the rework the sub and other parts will be rebalanced to make them perform in a more user friendly and realish fashion. In the meantime you could if you are happy altering the cfg's just double the ballast amount  in each section and see how it goes, next release will be much less buoyant , I'm aiming to have most things float at a decent depth rather than sitting on top.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I will download this mod and do a VLS section for every hull, so you can place my vls in it... without clipping and correct collisions...

EDIT: Can't decompile it with the mu importer... well, thats bad

Another EDIT: It worked... working on a prototype now...

Edited by Themorris

Modern Parts update and additions

gEYkkUj.png

Update v3.4

This update focuses on the modern ships adding a large superstructure VLS, A full length hangar and VLS for the Corvette, and a spacious VLS for the sub hull. The larger VLS and Sub VLS will take the largest missiles currently available.  Also added is a custom drive unit in Z Drive format and a small selection of mast parts with and without nav lighting

Changelog

Added VLS for small and large modern superstructures

Added full length hangar for small modern superstructure

Added VLS for Sub hull

Reworked buoyancy and weight of small modern hull parts, you will find it floats very differently

Added custom drive unit featuring full propeller animation and reverse

Added a small selection of mast parts

Notes on the VLS parts, as these parts depend on BD Armory for the functionality, the parts are technically missile launchers, they will only work if you have BDA installed. Due to the lack of updated BDA the results can either be as intended or very bad, and in testing sometimes they would only work with clearance disabled then other times they would work perfectly, there are no obstacles to prevent the missiles leaving the tubes, no protruding colliders, in short nothing that should require the clearance check to be disabled. Should it arise that to fire the contents of the tubes does require clearance check to be disabled I have found them to be fairly reliable.

I've tested these things for hours in various modded installs with loads of different mods but i can't test for every eventuality, So in the event of an issue or problem with the update PLEASE don't just say "it doesn't work"  tell me why, post a link to a log, or at a push post it in a spoiler, i can fix most things fairly quickly ONLY if i have a clue as to what is going wrong for you.

In some ways I wish this was a WIP thread as there's a lot of development room, but the fact that everything is needed to be release worthy will and does slow the update and development process quite a bit

FqoqPqp.png

XzBhrkX.png

Notes for the future. I would very much like to reduce the duplication of textures currently in the mod, to do this will mean moving a lot of parts around and is pretty much certain to break a lot of presaved vessels.. While this is not an ideal situation it is the only way to ensure continuous color matches across a hull range and reduce texture load while improving texture quality. Please let me know how you, the user feels about this.

Hi

28 minutes ago, volcanicshrimp said:

What missiles are those and where can I get them/other ones to put in the VLS parts?

The missiles are part of the upcoming (half hour or so) Boomsticks update.  You should be able to use any surface attachable missile though,  (and any missile that has an actual node transform) in tests I used missiles from PEW and BDA , the larger VLS parts will fire the cruise missiles all types available in those mods.  There may be an issue finding correct sized missiles for the small VLS, should this be the case I'll make some correctly sized suitable missiles.

Spoiler

W1iepY7.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

@SpannerMonkey(smce) Is there a way to change the density of a resource? The ballast tank doesn't seem to sink anything I attach it to. Going to go back and just do some tests with other resources. Was toying around with this vessel https://kerbalx.com/jerry/U-boat-typeVll , but it still may be not heavy enough.

Also thanks for all your work, I don't know how you find the time maintaining all the mods you contribute to.

Couple of notes on the VLS

- Is there a trick to attaching missiles, it was very difficult to get the attachment nodes to activate - I was testing with PEW Tomahawk missile (which fits nicely - it has bottom and side attachment nodes and it took me quite sometime to trick it into place

- The Tomahawk doesn't activate the VLS doors - Other missiles I tested with did

UPDATE 3.4.1 BugFix

Apologies to all I've got an update to the update, dl'd and tested the update in isolation and found a couple of things i didn't like.

Fixed alignment of nodes on sub VLS

Reworked sub cfg's to add water pumps, intake air, electric charge, liquid fuel in preparation for the new engines

Altered buoyancy on sub hull parts, it will sink now

Added water pump and resources to sub tower

Reworked buoyancy on small hull parts

PLEASE NOTE

ALL structural (non hull ) parts will now sink, buoyancy reduced to 0 (any I've missed will be sorted next update).  Heat tolerance reduced to more sensible levels (no more drifting hulks due to hull indestructibility)

Spoiler

4FEiuQ4.png

0qtB8xM.png

8 hours ago, gomker said:

@SpannerMonkey(smce) Is there a way to change the density of a resource? The ballast tank doesn't seem to sink anything I attach it to. Going to go back and just do some tests with other resources. Was toying around with this vessel https://kerbalx.com/jerry/U-boat-typeVll , but it still may be not heavy enough.

Also thanks for all your work, I don't know how you find the time maintaining all the mods you contribute to.

Reworked the ballast tank, added fill and empty functions and doubled the water quantity to 200K , seems to be a bit a on the heavy side but if that's what it takes. As for increasing the mass of the resource, find the resources.cfg

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = Water
  density = 2.00// change this 
  unitCost = 0.01
  flowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
}

7 hours ago, gomker said:

Couple of notes on the VLS

- Is there a trick to attaching missiles, it was very difficult to get the attachment nodes to activate - I was testing with PEW Tomahawk missile (which fits nicely - it has bottom and side attachment nodes and it took me quite sometime to trick it into place

- The Tomahawk doesn't activate the VLS doors - Other missiles I tested with did

Yes i Know it a royal pain, I now use editor extensions redux and that allows you to disable the surface attachment,  then it's just a matter of rotating the missile into the right position, the only other way to make things easier would be to make the VLS node attach only, but that limits what you could fire. If the doors don't activate on deploy it's usually because BD hasn't properly detected the missile, I have noticed this on occasion with some of the other launchers I'm working on as well. I'll re-check whats going on with that tomahawk.

And thanks for the thanks,

On 3/3/2016 at 5:21 PM, Laythe2 said:

If I add any other texture than a flat one then the texture would look very stretched.

It's probably been mentioned before but, at least in Blender It's not terribly hard to tile a texture. Did it with my large centrifuge ring-thing. Figured it was worth mentioning. :D

50 minutes ago, njmksr said:

Hold on a second, is this LBP or SM Marine now? If install this mod, do I replace the SM Marine folder?

Hi Nim, nope this is not SM Marine, It is a separate entity, while ideas have transferred from that mod and will continue ,  this is still and always will be (by agreement ) The large boat parts pack not some mix of both (plus the fact you're one of only 10 players who know that SM Marine exists)

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

46 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi Nim, nope this is not SM Marine, It is a separate entity, while ideas have transferred from that mod and will continue ,  this is still and always will be (by agreement ) The large boat parts pack not some mix of both (plus the fact you're one of only 10 players who know that SM Marine exists)

Sorry that I accidentally became a whistleblower (oops)

Just now, cavilier210 said:

Wait, there's another mod? I'm confused.

Hi, No need for any confusion the LBP is all this thread is concerned about.  The other mod mentioned is an entirely separate entity and not yet available ( some bits from it have featured in the screenshots posted here recently)  ( @njmksr now look what you've done  :P )