[1.1.3] Large Boat Parts Pack

Laythe2

1 minute ago, Eskandare said:

ooooooh my 700 ton command island is going to become a Bouncy Castle!

very likely, but the real annoyance is that it's unpredictable.  Early days though so things may yet improve, but i think for these heavyweights, I'm including yours in this, need to have rigid attachment as default on, I cant see any reason why it should be off, as even my LLL sxt heavy transport plane bends like a banana on the runway without it. 

Must have a word with @gomker about a little plugin for that,( having rigid connection on at all times) should be fairly simple given that aslains advanced tweakable switch is 24 lines of code.

7 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

very likely, but the real annoyance is that it's unpredictable.  Early days though so things may yet improve, but i think for these heavyweights, I'm including yours in this, need to have rigid attachment as default on, I cant see any reason why it should be off, as even my LLL sxt heavy transport plane bends like a banana on the runway without it. 

Must have a word with @gomker about a little plugin for that,( having rigid connection on at all times) should be fairly simple given that aslains advanced tweakable switch is 24 lines of code.

Is KJR discontinued or do you think there will be an update?

Edit: for fun and maybe accuracy, I added a new resource for my carrier, it no longer runs on EC but KSteam (since they're really steam turbines)

Edited by Eskandare

On 10/6/2016 at 8:44 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

about a little plugin for that,

Lets do it - I'll add it to AirPark to start - its kinda a "vessel stabilizer" mod now.  I am starting to see more of these issues as I up the tonnage on my test vessels. Where is this " advanced tweakable switch" code

9 hours ago, gomker said:

Lets do it - I'll add it to AirPark to start - its kinda a "vessel stabilizer" mod now.  I am starting to see more of these issues as I up the tonnage on my test vessels. Where is this " advanced tweakable switch" code

Don;t actually know if it's going to be of any help now i've looked at the code as it only ref's the system rather than the specific item.

Just now, gomker said:

I assume we want this true all the time or something we can toggle?

Hiya, I've yet to find a reason for not having it rigid all the time. I genuinely cannot even comprehend why anyone would want jelly ships, with flexible joints between parts, the issue even extends to other long craft like Airships, i had to switch rigid attachment to stop it bending around the landing gear.  At this point I'm all in favour of it being permanently on, with no toggle, but perhaps its would be wise to include a toggle as we have yet to explore every avenue, and may yet find a case when it is better to have rigid off. 

Regarding the other issue of vessels coming apart, I'm just testing the newest build 1576 and things provisionally, don't seem as bad, but I'm running literally enough parts to build the DG and squad so it's not a full game by any stretch, going to swap over to a more mod infested install and see how it's working there before i can say one way or the other

Well this is frustrating - 

Part.rigidAttachment

does not seem to be something I can set in a PartModule but it is a Public Attribute. Popped a question in the 1.2 thread see if anyone can point out what I'm doing wrong

@gomker did I send you the latest LBP test? Hope so.. anyway anything above DG size so above 2500tonnes and i run into trouble, but it's all a bit odd right now, chasing the swinging yoyo is not  fun. 

As right now i have 4 active DG's within 1km BUT the frame rate has gone down to a slideshow. Which was not the case for all the multiple ship shots i did in 1.1.3.#

I for one will be quite happy when the builds don't stage 5 times a week

5 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

latest LBP

Yep, I am using them now, I have been doing up to 2 ships at a time so far in my unit tests with a DG build and a few smaller ships. I will try and do 4 and see what happens.

I haven't been seeing any issues on load with the DG's they seem to come in and out of physics range without exploding or jumping for my tests so far. I wanted to make sure I am executing a similar scenario as you are. Building a Carrier now to see what happens with the rigidAttachement set to true, I added it to HullBreach code for each call for FixedUpdate()

Edited by gomker

I think I made it worse. Vessels I was able to land normally are flying apart :( I had not tested that much with latest build so not sure if it was more the build or more the rigidAttachment modifier. One thing is for sure we got more problems in 1.2 than we had previously, the loading was fixed somewhat but now the physics are much more hostile overall to larger parts.

Off to debug more.

14 minutes ago, OddFunction said:

I see. In the meantime Vessel Mover shall suffice.  

Get the latest vessel mover when it's released,  we ship types have been at it and you'll find it fantastic to use with some ship specific features, I may never go back to KK for launching......

And as i haven't posted a pic to keep you all entertained while you wait, for a few days , the shape of things to come....

All of the ships are active and crewed with engines running, no Airpark, 1.2   it can be done by the brave and the cheaters (that'll be us for the foreseeable future btw)

Eaoco8M.png

a5cRfwm.png

Below 28ms diverging gun fight 1.2 dev testing

lBR9zOm.gif

4kqA7dq.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

Hi, Just a quick note made now so you can adjust your brains :)  rather than it being a shock.

Hence force no marine propulsion unit included in LBP or SMM will push any large vessel faster than 30 ms, doesn't matter how many you put on it will always stay the same, the only thing that will change is how fast you get to 30ms, likely a bit slower for  high drag vessels but within a couple either way. This is to reduce the evil torque effects on ships with massively powerful engines noticed in 1.2 and to form a baseline for future related developments. Thank you for your time :)

Hi all ,  interesting developments today,   I spent some time setting up a few hull parts to use allista's hangar plugin.  So now if you'd want to you can store a stupid amount of aircraft in the CV hangar , how many?   don't know but 15 aircraft used less than 3% of the space. Serious transportation potential  is now a reality

VFavqfs.png

I think Eskandare was working on putting the Hangar module in his carrier too. This is gonna be awesome. Spawning them on these carriers instead of moving them into place will be WAY better.

5 minutes ago, XOC2008 said:

I think Eskandare was working on putting the Hangar module in his carrier too. This is gonna be awesome. Spawning them on these carriers instead of moving them into place will be WAY better.

Hey, carried on with testing and loading and a short carrier set up can hold way in excess of 50 aircraft,  don't quite know what you are going to do with more than 50, but you could just keep going,  and try and use more than just a tiny portion of the available space  (538.000 cubic meters)  No problems with stability etc noticed even though the mass is added to the main ship,  so all good.

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

2 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hey, carried on with testing and loading and a short carrier set up can hold way in excess of 50 aircraft,  don't quite know what you are going to do with more than 50, but you could just keep going,  and try and use more than just a tiny portion of the available space    No problems with stability etc noticed even though the mass is added to the main ship,  so all good.

50 or more will be good for practicing carrier launch and landings. (Although I'm getting better with landing using MAF, even more than with a stick.)

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hey, carried on with testing and loading and a short carrier set up can hold way in excess of 50 aircraft,  don't quite know what you are going to do with more than 50, but you could just keep going,  and try and use more than just a tiny portion of the available space  (538.000 cubic meters)  No problems with stability etc noticed even though the mass is added to the main ship,  so all good.

I've waited years for this to happen! Delighted to finally see fruition (I'm totally claiming credit for the tip-off...:P)

How exactly are you going to manage spawning and loading? Will the aircraft suddenly appear/disappear on a lift on the top deck, or will there be some manoeuvring required to get the planes up and down from below deck?

Edit: Next idea, a boat for launching exploration subs and and undersea mining rigs...

Edited by colmo

3 minutes ago, colmo said:

I've waited years for this to happen! Delighted to finally see fruition (I'm totally claiming credit for the tip-off...:P)

How exactly are you going to manage spawning and loading? Will the aircraft suddenly appear/disappear on a lift on the top deck, or will there be some manoeuvring required to get the planes up and down from below deck?

Yes indeed the credt is all yours,    i wouldn't have taken any notice of that hangar mod if you had not messaged me about it all and your hopes and dreams, but in the end it;s horribly easy to do :)

Well see i know stuff :)    In stock form the craft spawn in the middle of the hangar.   if you use vessel mover to move the craft once spawned, it will automagically appear outside the hangar :) very handy, .  But for non vessel mover it is easy and pretty much hassle free to start the engines, drive to the lift , go up to the deck, drive of lift and fly away, there's a gif somewhere a few pages back of me doing just that.  Also in this update I've again slowed the lifts down as they were still too fast

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

if you use vessel mover to move the craft once spawned, it will automagically appear outside the hangar

VesselMover  does a hard-coded set altitude at 35 meters by default when move or spawn is called, so it kinda teleports - the new release will have the Altitude adjustment with the Throttle/up down (I know you know this SM, just letting everyone else know :) ) 

Gotta send me the test bits when you are ready , would love to give this a test drive.

Edited by gomker