Kluster: Suggestion and Discussion Thread

ProtoJeb21

Kluster is still in its baby stages, so @Galacticvoyager and I need some suggestions and ideas for the mod. Right now, the system we're most focused on right now is Poait. We would like some suggestions for the system, like maybe another planets or moons for Savaos. Suggestions for other stars and other things in the mod (easter eggs, extra features, etc.) are welcome too.

WANT TO SEE THIS MOD'S DEVELOPMENT?

Kluster Development Thread

Two galaxies are going to require a LOT of stars and planets. Are you guys sure you want to do all that work? Depending on your own standards of quality and available time, it could take years for your mod to actually start looking like your vision. Add the fact that there's multiple "other star systems" mods already existing and the target demographic is fairly small to begin with, you should probably ask yourself if it's worth all that effort.

@Sigma88 I think had a much better idea about how to approach the issue of populating many star systems: he uses other, existing planet packs instead. That way he makes good use of what's already out there, including the super high quality stuff like Outer Planets Mod, while still leaving himself open the option of adding stuff himself.

Why not do something similar, or even cooperate? if both parties are willing, of course. :)

3 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Two galaxies are going to require a LOT of stars and planets. Are you guys sure you want to do all that work? Depending on your own standards of quality and available time, it could take years for your mod to actually start looking like your vision. Add the fact that there's multiple "other star systems" mods already existing and the target demographic is fairly small to begin with, you should probably ask yourself if it's worth all that effort.

@Sigma88 I think had a much better idea about how to approach the issue of populating many star systems: he uses other, existing planet packs instead. That way he makes good use of what's already out there, including the super high quality stuff like Outer Planets Mod, while still leaving himself open the option of adding stuff himself.

Why not do something similar, or even cooperate? if both parties are willing, of course. :)

That's an interesting concept, but I was thinking along the lines of @Artyomka15: Giving each star at most 3 or 4 planets and a few moons. However, I need to talk to @Galacticvoyager about that idea. And about incorporating multiple planet packs in the 2 galaxies, why not? It can be a great way to revive dead star packs like all three Kerbal Galaxies (yes, there were three), Asteria, and Supernova Pulsar's three solar systems.

In case someone wants to check them out, here are the links to the videos of SP's solar systems:

Gamma Zoul System

Paloma System

Sentinel System

And here's the video of the Asteria system:

Asteria Version 0.4

14 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Proto Is right, solar systems will at most include 3-12 orbiting bodies, and then we will move on to the next. in turn it could be easier to make solar systems, im also thinking on just including some solar systems with just a star and thats it (though the star should be unique). Also, compatibility with other mods is a perfect idea! like galactic neighborhood, we could make solar systems for certain planet packs, jumble the planets up into different systems to be more fun, and let the players explore!

11 hours ago, Rushligh said:

I've noticed alot of mods for adding asteroids and such, but i want to see mass asteroid belts, like star-wars style asteroid belts. Think of the 'fun' navigational challenges.

that WOULD be a good idea, but the lag issues would be immense

3 hours ago, Galacticvoyager said:

Sorry but I don't think it would be a good idea. Though we COULD make it so asteroids spawn more frequently in asteroid belts, but having 6000000000 asteroids in the game, is a big no no

tears of sadness.

• 5 weeks later...

Here's an idea, What if you made a small cluster of asteroids, Basically make a central asteroid with negligible gravity and surround it with more asteroids, Then make their orbit trails disappear using "cameraSmaRatioBounds = 0 0" Insert that into the orbit section of the config file. The benefit of the asteroid cluster would be lots of resources within easy range of each other.

• 3 months later...

Hey Protojeb!

I have seen your Kluster project and it really interests me, you have some great ideas that i would love to play with! But looking at it, the mod that you're creating is going to take a long time... Because lets face it, creating galaxies is no easy job! so instead of just pushing you along i would like to get in on the action and help you guys out on the project! hopefully getting an earlier release :D If you want me to help please do call me out because i would be happy to help you with whatever you need, whether it be modelling or writing the configs, i have some experience with this stuff, me and my friend created a small game using unity. I did the artwork/ modelling, and did a bit of the wiring. :) 

Kind regards,

Matchlight 

also i don't think you should turn kerbol into a white drawf, people look for packs that change around the solar system instead of getting planet/system packs, if you implement both, it can end up being a bit extreme for the user, whilst it would be cool, maybe create a white dwarf system with a kerbin like planet, possibly like kepler 186. A kerbin like planet, but a little different :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.