[WIP][1.0.5][Beta 0.1.4] N.A.N.A. Sinking About

kimiko

5 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I'm not so sure about exploding turrets. I certainly wouldn't use it.

In fact it's common to see turrets on WWII warships explode after getting breached and rolling into water, you can find quite a few examples.

Personally I guess this'd be interesting, and I've tested it, which works well and looks quite realistic.

2 hours ago, Acea said:

In fact it's common to see turrets on WWII warships explode after getting breached and rolling into water, you can find quite a few examples.

Personally I guess this'd be interesting, and I've tested it, which works well and looks quite realistic.

Hmmm ... couldn't find any examples at all actually. It's also counterintuitive. Most likely it was the magazines exploding underneath the turret.

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

Most likely it was the magazines exploding underneath the turret.

Yes that's the fact but we don't actually have a magazine simulated... so this is a replacement

15 minutes ago, Acea said:

Yes that's the fact but we don't actually have a magazine simulated... so this is a replacement

Let's hope we can find a solution for that ... probably most warships found their demise due to boiler/magazine/fuel explosions.

On 16/03/2016 at 3:58 AM, Acea said:

And here it is, the NAS adapting patch. I've made it as simple as possible.

@PART[NAS_BB_*]:NEEDS[NAS]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleSinkingAbout
		hull = true
		damageable = true
		sponge = false
		hydroExplosive = true
		flowRate = 8
		critFlowRate = 25
		breachTemp = 0.75
		critBreachTemp = 0.9
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = SeaWater
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 0
		isTweakable = false
		hideFlow = true
	}
}
@PART[NAS_CL_*]:NEEDS[NAS]
{
	MODULE
	{
		hull = true
		damageable = true
		sponge = false
		hydroExplosive = true
		flowRate = 2
		critFlowRate = 8
		breachTemp = 0.75
		critBreachTemp = 0.9
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = SeaWater
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 0
		isTweakable = false
		hideFlow = true
	}
}
@PART[NAS_CA_*]:NEEDS[NAS]
{
	MODULE
	{
		hull = true
		damageable = true
		sponge = false
		hydroExplosive = true
		flowRate = 3.2
		critFlowRate = 12.5
		breachTemp = 0.75
		critBreachTemp = 0.9
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = SeaWater
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 0
		isTweakable = false
		hideFlow = true
	}
}
@PART[NAS_DD_*]:NEEDS[NAS]
{
	MODULE
	{
		hull = true
		damageable = true
		sponge = false
		hydroExplosive = true
		flowRate = 1
		critFlowRate = 5
		breachTemp = 0.75
		critBreachTemp = 0.9
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = SeaWater
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 0
		isTweakable = false
		hideFlow = true
	}
}
@PART[NAS_TP_*]:NEEDS[NAS]
{
	MODULE
	{
		hull = true
		damageable = true
		sponge = false
		flowRate = 1
		critFlowRate = 5
		breachTemp = 0.5
		critBreachTemp = 0.75
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = SeaWater
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 0
		isTweakable = false
		hideFlow = true
	}
}
@PART[NAS_AA_DD_*]:NEEDS[NAS]
{
	MODULE
	{
		hull = true
		damageable = true
		sponge = false
		hydroExplosive = true
		flowRate = 1
		critFlowRate = 5
		breachTemp = 0.75
		critBreachTemp = 0.9
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = SeaWater
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 0
		isTweakable = false
		hideFlow = true
	}
}
@PART[NAS_AA_SC_*]:NEEDS[NAS]
{
	MODULE
	{
		hull = true
		damageable = true
		sponge = false
		hydroExplosive = true
		flowRate = 0.8
		critFlowRate = 4.2
		breachTemp = 0.75
		critBreachTemp = 0.9
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = SeaWater
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 0
		isTweakable = false
		hideFlow = true
	}
}

Excellent! Thanks a lot! : D

On 17/03/2016 at 1:54 PM, colmo said:

There's a plethora of damage systems now in play - now if this and others could combine with @EnzoMeertens KKS and @BahamutoD's BDA into a single, unified damage system, which covers progressive loss of lift, structural strength, buoyancy, melting, leaking, sinking, fire etc., all with visual scorching, denting and actual structural bending (transforming nodes and surface attachments), that would be very, very good.

This isn't exactly a damage system per se (more like a "damage event" add-on), but I do hope for some sort of unified damage system which can incorporate everything in some sort of balanced way. :D

On 17/03/2016 at 2:11 PM, Azimech said:

I'm not so sure about exploding turrets. I certainly wouldn't use it.

On 17/03/2016 at 2:22 PM, Acea said:

On 17/03/2016 at 4:34 PM, Azimech said:

Hmmm ... couldn't find any examples at all actually. It's also counterintuitive. Most likely it was the magazines exploding underneath the turret.

On 17/03/2016 at 6:40 PM, Acea said:

On 17/03/2016 at 6:58 PM, Azimech said:

Let's hope we can find a solution for that ... probably most warships found their demise due to boiler/magazine/fuel explosions.

Since it's a hot topic, i've included an experimental module for this. I haven't had time to test it yet, so go ahead and try if you want. Just edit and stuff the parameters bellow into an ammo box config-file.

@PART[myAmmoBox]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleExplosiveStorage
		resource = myAmmo // name of the resource
		blastRadius = XX //the usual from BDArmory (per unit)
		blastPower = XX
		blastHeat = XX
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = BDExplosivePart
		BDExplosivePart
		blastRadius = XX //per unit
		blastPower = XX
		blastHeat = XX
	}
}

The last module is built into BDArmory to make things explode (you may not need to assign the blast radius/power/heat for this), the first one attempts to calculate the amount of ammo and multiply them with the in-putted stats. When it explodes it will explode with the power of everything inside, and surely rip the vessel apart...

Edited by kimiko

5 minutes ago, colmo said:

That needs to become standard in BDA.

Agreed. And weapon systems should consume resources as well.

I'm writing a lengthy PM to start a talk with all the mod devs (weapons/damage/water/fire) to think about a unified architecture.

18 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I'm writing a lengthy PM to start a talk with all the mod devs (weapons/damage/water/fire) to think about a unified architecture.

Perhaps @RoverDude is worth adding - aside from being a prodigious mod plate spinner and dev, damage could become an extension of resources?

Tl;Dr: VLS doesn't work, I tried everything, tried this mod to solve it, found bug....

Hello kimiko,

I've encountered one big problem...I'll start from the beggining...I installed BDA(with MalFunc and others)+other mods, then I tried to build a Zumwalt class destroyer, I've made nice ship, but when I after many explosive launches finally get it to water with working everything I started testing weapons and other things. So I tested and all worked. Then I wanted to launch missile from VLS(RIM-162 or 67). I push fire button(Acton group) and it didn't work. So I r-click missile and click fire, and it fired! Then I searched forums and everything and found many sollutions for that problem. But only clearance check off helped. So I finally have working VLS! Then I started with one of my previous bombers and go bomb that ship...and what happened, bomb destroy my plane in air because clearance check was off. So I again searched and writed on forums and then I found your mod. It looks great, sinking ships, other great stuff....So installed it and launch ship, choose missile and fire! VLS opened, smoke&fire effect appeared, but missile was still in silo. And the effect of smoke&fire was permanent. Plus missile won't fire if clearance check is on... I searched this topic again, searched configs. Look at problem many times in SPH and find that all missiles have isTubeloaded False. So, how make it tubeloaded, or can you add switch to make it manually tubeloaded? In configs I couldn't find any code for that... I tried search in source code and foundsome tubeloaded thingy, but I can't edit it...and in configs isn't any ..

I also tried make this, but nope

Spoiler

@PART[THERIM-*]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleClearanceCheckDisabler
	}
}

Permanent effects...after "firing" missile which won't fire :D

rTOwfFZ.jpg

Even making new VLS + missiles won't repair it...

6awhEoN.png

Spoiler

Found this code too....but 1) Don't know how edit and what edit :D 2) can't compile it into dll :D

rivate void setup()
        {
            if (this.part.parent != null)
            {
                if (this.part.parent.name.Contains("MK41VLSINGLE") || this.part.parent.name.Contains("MK41VLSQUAD"))
                {

defaultCrashTolerance = this.part.crashTolerance;
                    isTubeLoaded = true;
                    launcher = this.part.parent;
                    setupFx();
                    if (this.part.parent.parent != null)
                    {
                        hullcollider = this.part.parent.parent;
                    }
                    this.part.crashTolerance = this.part.parent.crashTolerance;
                    this.part.breakingForce = this.part.parent.breakingForce;
                    this.part.breakingTorque = this.part.parent.breakingForce;
                    if (this.part.Modules.Contains("MissileLauncher"))
                    {
                        var pp = this.part.Modules.OfType<MissileLauncher>().Single();
                        pp = this.part.FindModulesImplementing<MissileLauncher>().First();
                        pp.boostClipPath = "NANA/SinkingAbout/Sounds/LaunchSound";
                        pp.boostExhaustPrefabPath = "BDArmory/Models/exhaust/largeExhaust";
                    }
                }
            }
        }

But I like very your mod, other features....thanks for it! :)

Edited by Toonu

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2016 at 10:58 PM, Azimech said:

Most excellent! You're a wizard!

Yay : D

On 17/03/2016 at 11:37 PM, colmo said:

That needs to become standard in BDA.

Not sure if it's possible without messing up other mods...

On 17/03/2016 at 11:44 PM, Azimech said:

Hope it will work out! : D

On 17/03/2016 at 0:04 AM, colmo said:

Perhaps @RoverDude is worth adding - aside from being a prodigious mod plate spinner and dev, damage could become an extension of resources?

Not sure it would be of much interest. Though resources is a nice idea and (probably) not really a big deal to make (I think), there are, however, a lot of other things which may become an issue though.

On 22/03/2016 at 4:35 PM, Toonu said:

Tl;Dr: VLS doesn't work, I tried everything, tried this mod to solve it, found bug....

Hello kimiko,

I've encountered one big problem...I'll start from the beggining...I installed BDA(with MalFunc and others)+other mods, then I tried to build a Zumwalt class destroyer, I've made nice ship, but when I after many explosive launches finally get it to water with working everything I started testing weapons and other things. So I tested and all worked. Then I wanted to launch missile from VLS(RIM-162 or 67). I push fire button(Acton group) and it didn't work. So I r-click missile and click fire, and it fired! Then I searched forums and everything and found many sollutions for that problem. But only clearance check off helped. So I finally have working VLS! Then I started with one of my previous bombers and go bomb that ship...and what happened, bomb destroy my plane in air because clearance check was off. So I again searched and writed on forums and then I found your mod. It looks great, sinking ships, other great stuff....So installed it and launch ship, choose missile and fire! VLS opened, smoke&fire effect appeared, but missile was still in silo. And the effect of smoke&fire was permanent. Plus missile won't fire if clearance check is on... I searched this topic again, searched configs. Look at problem many times in SPH and find that all missiles have isTubeloaded False. So, how make it tubeloaded, or can you add switch to make it manually tubeloaded? In configs I couldn't find any code for that... I tried search in source code and foundsome tubeloaded thingy, but I can't edit it...and in configs isn't any ..

I also tried make this, but nope

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[THERIM-*]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleClearanceCheckDisabler
	}
}

Permanent effects...after "firing" missile which won't fire :D

rTOwfFZ.jpg

Even making new VLS + missiles won't repair it...

6awhEoN.png

Reveal hidden contents

Found this code too....but 1) Don't know how edit and what edit :D 2) can't compile it into dll :D

rivate void setup()
        {
            if (this.part.parent != null)
            {
                if (this.part.parent.name.Contains("MK41VLSINGLE") || this.part.parent.name.Contains("MK41VLSQUAD"))
                {

defaultCrashTolerance = this.part.crashTolerance;
                    isTubeLoaded = true;
                    launcher = this.part.parent;
                    setupFx();
                    if (this.part.parent.parent != null)
                    {
                        hullcollider = this.part.parent.parent;
                    }
                    this.part.crashTolerance = this.part.parent.crashTolerance;
                    this.part.breakingForce = this.part.parent.breakingForce;
                    this.part.breakingTorque = this.part.parent.breakingForce;
                    if (this.part.Modules.Contains("MissileLauncher"))
                    {
                        var pp = this.part.Modules.OfType<MissileLauncher>().Single();
                        pp = this.part.FindModulesImplementing<MissileLauncher>().First();
                        pp.boostClipPath = "NANA/SinkingAbout/Sounds/LaunchSound";
                        pp.boostExhaustPrefabPath = "BDArmory/Models/exhaust/largeExhaust";
                    }
                }
            }
        }

But I like very your mod, other features....thanks for it! :)

Looking at your picture, the issue seems to be that you're using action groups. It was not designed to be used with action groups, you have to select and arm the thing using the weapon manager menu. Only this will turn off the clearance check, and enable clipping mode for the missile. When you disarm/select none, the clearance check will enable again.

On 02/04/2016 at 10:26 AM, cavilier210 said:

I've been looking, but I don't understand how I'm supposed to get rid of the water that ends up in the ships. How am I supposed to do that?

I'm planning on making a pump at some point. But nothing yet.

On 03/04/2016 at 8:54 PM, XOC2008 said:

@kimiko: What would the rear attach node be for the PEW P-800 Oniks missile? Giving your mod another shot on a new install and want to add it to the list.

I got no idea. If you add ModuleSize using a cfg file and module manager to your missile you can somewhat determine the bounding boxes, but to be honest that doesn't really work that good. I suggest you just do the old trial and error.

1 hour ago, kimiko said:

Looking at your picture, the issue seems to be that you're using action groups. It was not designed to be used with action groups, you have to select and arm the thing using the weapon manager menu. Only this will turn off the clearance check, and enable clipping mode for the missile. When you disarm/select none, the clearance check will enable again.

Thanks for reply! I saw one similar problem where u said you need photos....

Nope, when I armed it and fire with AG it still made effect but didn't work. With clearance check it didn't work too even armed. Firing with fire button is unreal due to limitations of camera....

On 06/04/2016 at 4:01 PM, Toonu said:

Thanks for reply! I saw one similar problem where u said you need photos....

Nope, when I armed it and fire with AG it still made effect but didn't work. With clearance check it didn't work too even armed. Firing with fire button is unreal due to limitations of camera....

I'm sorry, I'm really not sure what could be the problem here, but to try clear up some things about how it works:

The VLS has to be a children of the part it is trying to clip, this means it has to be directly attached to that said part, and the missile has to be directly attached to the VLS as well.

The conditions for clipping are having the specific missile selected through the Weapon Manager window as well as having it armed. This is just because of how the mod and BDA operates. Preferably it would be better to not have a global clearance check, an individual would be more practical for these sort of situations, but that's up to Bahamuto.

I have not yet tested firing using action groups, but it does work (for me) using mouse-hold.

The ModuleColliderIgnore and ModuleClearanceCheckDisabler are two separate things and does not need to be used together.

I know this is designed for boats, but why don't ALL parts get a seawater resource? I want the danger of a plane going down from BDA gunfire sinking and needing to save the pilot. I would make a config if I could, but I can't for a few days. Please?

On 07/04/2016 at 10:31 PM, Andem said:

I know this is designed for boats, but why don't ALL parts get a seawater resource? I want the danger of a plane going down from BDA gunfire sinking and needing to save the pilot. I would make a config if I could, but I can't for a few days. Please?

The problem is to figure out how much seawater every part is going to hold. It's sort of the same dilemma with a damage system. There aren't really any smart way of creating an algorithm that can realistically add a proper amount of seawater to every part (at least none I can think of). For example if one uses the volume of the collider it would not function well with a "girder" type part. Essentially you would have to make individual configurations for, as well as test, every single part in the game. On top of that you'd have to do that with every single other add-on as well if you'd like it compatible. I neither have the time nor motivation for such, so only boat parts. The rest of the parts I'll leave to the built in buoyancy.  Though, if someone would like to do it, I would be more than happy to include it in the mod! : D

1 minute ago, kimiko said:

The problem is to figure out how much seawater every part is going to hold. It's sort of the same dilemma with a damage system. There aren't really any smart way of creating an algorithm that can realistically add a proper amount of seawater to every part (at least none I can think of). For example if one uses the volume of the collider it would not function well with a "girder" type part. Essentially you would have to make individual configurations for, as well as test, every single part in the game. On top of that you'd have to do that with every single other add-on as well if you'd like it compatible. I neither have the time nor motivation for such, so only boat parts. The rest of the parts I'll leave to the built in buoyancy.  Though, if someone would like to do it, I would be more than happy to include it in the mod! : D

What if it used dry mass to determine the potential it could hold, and then checked if it

A- Had crew capacity. If so, add 10 more units of potential seawater storage.

B- Was in structural. If so, divide amount of seawater by 10 or something.

etc., so it'll automatically do that. I'll try, but my code will be a horrible abomination FYI.

23 minutes ago, Andem said:

What if it used dry mass to determine the potential it could hold, and then checked if it

A- Had crew capacity. If so, add 10 more units of potential seawater storage.

B- Was in structural. If so, divide amount of seawater by 10 or something.

etc., so it'll automatically do that. I'll try, but my code will be a horrible abomination FYI.

Well that's one more way of doing it, it doesn't mean it's going to be accurate, and would still have to be tested with the majority of parts to be somewhat accurate. So, if it has to be tested with the majority of parts then may as well do individual configurations. I have tried numerous way of automation, including calculating from mass, but it simply doesn't scale well. And relying on "flags"/tags for determining the type of part, just ends up with more flags than practical, I.e. individual configs is even less work. However, if you do have a properly working algorithm for doing it automatically or other suggestions, I am all ears though : D

9 minutes ago, kimiko said:

Well that's one more way of doing it, it doesn't mean it's going to be accurate, and would still have to be tested with the majority of parts to be somewhat accurate. So, if it has to be tested with the majority of parts then may as well do individual configurations. I have tried numerous way of automation, including calculating from mass, but it simply doesn't scale well. And relying on "flags"/tags for determining the type of part, just ends up with more flags than practical, I.e. individual configs is even less work. However, if you do have a properly working algorithm for doing it automatically or other suggestions, I am all ears though : D

I'll do my best, no guarantees tho...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still can't get working VLS, when I put them on hull, then put inside rocket and then move into hull, the rocket won't fire with action button, when fired by clicking fire at missile(which is VERY hard to click) it still doesn't shoot because only effect of firing will appear and then last forever. I m really mad from it because I tried all combinations how to fire and everything. Can someone tell me some tutorial to how make good VLS which can launch? :D

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.