Kerbal Space Program 1.1 Hype Train Thread.

Whirligig Girl

8 hours ago, TimePeriod said:

Work had me bogged down, so I couldn't get on the train. If there's no seats left I'll stand in the middle line. If that's full too - then I'll climb onto the roof. If the roof is full..

Undercarriage? O_o

just get a  EAS-1 External Command Seat and strap it to the side

I'm not moving from me seat in the 1:st class diner.

Sipping fine ale and cheering both the pre-release crowd on in their quest of finding bugs and Squad staff quest of fixing them.

Currently it seems like to users are in the lead as there are 282 open bug reports for the prerelease :)

But it's looking good so I'm still hyped for 1.1 proper.

1 hour ago, jediminer543 said:

We are slowing down; we need more speed

Also: NYANNANANAAYANYNANynaynnaNnananynayn

Given that the pre-release testers currently have identified 320 issues that our valiant Squad staffers are fighting to beat down I think we can hype and chill at the same time :)

And about that cat ... Ponder @sarbian's title ...

Not sure where else to post this...

A fresh KSP 1.0.5 install is about 1.8 GB

A fresh KSP pre-release install is about 3.9 GB

They did say it's a big update but jeez (Not complaining, if anything it shows how much work has gone into 1.1)

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

2 hours ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

Not sure where else to post this...

A fresh KSP 1.0.5 install is about 1.8 GB

A fresh KSP pre-release install is about 3.9 GB

They did say it's a big update but jeez (Not complaining, if anything it shows how much work has gone into 1.1)

The main reason for that is 64 bit support on windows (assuming you're using windows). the KSP_Data folder is rather large, and it has a 64 bit counter part that seems to replicate all of the contents (KSP_x64_Data). That seems a hell of a lot for executable binaries (should be the only thing that needs to be duplicated), but maybe there's a reason for it.

EDIT: Seems to be mostly assets. AFAIK those shouldn't need to be duplicated; meshes and textures and probably audio shouldn't be any different. Maybe just one of the quirks of unity?

TL;DR: file size difference doesn't really show anything about the work that's gone into 1.1. (but the fact that it's now using unity 5 does :D)

Edited by armagheddonsgw

I have just returned from my first foray into sampling the pre-release (delayed by bug #7515, which has an easy workaround once you know you need it). I tried only Sandbox. I wrote down bad things and good things that I hadn't heard yet as I noticed them. The bad things will go into the bug tracker once I have time to check for duplicates and write them up, but I'll share the good ones here in the interests of boosting the hype. It should go without saying that these are only my observations, and some of these may work differently for other players (and I may have misremembered how 1.0.5 worked in some cases).

• Editing the staging is noticeably more responsive and less annoying
  • If you rotate a part with the gadget and then pick it up to move it, it remembers the rotation
  • I used to have VAB buttons' tooltips get "stuck" to my mouse cursor frequently, and I couldn't get it to happen this time
  • You can use the 3-way attach nodes on the shuttle butt part while in mirror symmetry
  • Ctrl-Z is noticeably faster
  • Open the resource window in ship view, and it'll stay open when you switch to map
  • Asteroids now have a description like "Small" or "Huge" in addition to a letter, so you don't have to memorize whether "A" or "E" is the largest
  • "Warp To" did not skip past where I told it to go
  • The heat bars are much easier to read now
  • The 'g' hotkey for gear starts in a disabled state, so you don't have to press it twice to extend landing gear now
  • I didn't notice a problem with the size of the navball or the readability of the text, contrary to other reports
  • I kind of like the new VAB/parts lighting, feels like a more modern "flat" style
  • My eyeballed lander touched down softly on Mun
  • My pointless small Mk3 jet got to 36 km and 1244 m/s, then landed safely on that peninsula that kind of looks like Denmark, east of the one that kind of looks like Korea
  • I didn't notice a single framerate slowdown or the dreaded "stutter"

Overall there's a strong sense of polish that wasn't quite there before, as if the game knows what it wants to be now.

Please note that it is currently April 2 in my time zone.

Dammit! In the middle of my hype, I landed on a particular pic on another thread about kerbal architecture, and due to the memory that sparked, I've had a slight hype decrease... where is the barn that we were promised? 1.2?

Rune. Bring back the barn already!

I suspect that since 1.1 is mainly the engine update and UI rewrite, 1.2 will be a 'content update'.

I'm actually very hyped to play 1.1.  The performance and smoothness reported by the pre-release testers sounds very much like exactly what I've been hoping for.

With any luck. some more dreams will come true in 1.2.

Happy Hypey landings!

9 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I suspect that since 1.1 is mainly the engine update and UI rewrite, 1.2 will be a 'content update'.

Much of the content planned for 1.1 was actually released as 1.0.5 when they realised that 1.1 needed more time.

There's still room for new content once the new backend is stable of course.

But let's concentrate our hype on the upcoming release :)

5 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Much of the content planned for 1.1 was actually released as 1.0.5 when they realised that 1.1 needed more time.

There's still room for new content once the new backend is stable of course.

But let's concentrate our hype on the upcoming release :)

The rest is going to 1.2 though. (most notably: antennae)