Kerbal Space Program 1.1 Hype Train Thread.

Whirligig Girl

3 hours ago, Fredbear12returns said:

Um, why is my KSP updating? Pre-Release 2?

The developers are working actively on the bugs in the bug tracker and putting out new releases as they go. So far there has been:

• Build 1172
  • Build 1174
  • Build 1180
  • Build 1183
Edited by HebaruSan

4 hours ago, Fredbear12returns said:

Um, why is my KSP updating? Pre-Release 2?

What, did you think the pre-release was going to be one version we screwed around with for 2 weeks? That's not how proper beta testing works :P. Every time people find bugs, those need to be fixed (eventually), and then the fixes need to be tested.... and if they don't work then new fixes need to be tried, etc, and sometimes those fixes will solve that problem but break other things, potentially very badly (probably what happened with build 1180).

Normally that's what would happen during experimentals, but since 1.1 is such an extensive update because of unity 5, there are all sorts of places obscure bugs could be hidden - far too many for the experimentals testers to find them all in any reasonable amount of time. Which is where we come in: the more people screwing around with the pre-release, the better the odds of finding the really obscure game-breaking bugs, and finding them quickly. AKA Linus's law: "Many eyes make all bugs shallow".  Plus mod makers get a chance to update early in time for full release.

On the other hand you also get a lot of badly written bug reports that are in no way helpful to finding or solving the problem, as well as lots of people reporting the same issue over and over again, sometimes even after it's already fixed, etc. That last part being the main reason Squad don't do this regularly.

Back on topic: finding (and verifying) all the weird little bugs is proving to be great fun :D. I can hardly wait until the pre-release is over and all the mods get updated. ALL OF THEM.

58 minutes ago, armagheddonsgw said:

Back on topic: finding (and verifying) all the weird little bugs is proving to be great fun :D. I can hardly wait until the pre-release is over and all the mods get updated. ALL OF THEM.

Yeah, it's so satisfying seeing your bug report go from "new" to "confirmed" to "Ready to test". I've managed to get two fixes into the game so far. (both being very small changes to UI but still, it's that stuff that makes the game feel unfinished)

E: It looks like I might get a third. Progress!

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

30 minutes ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

I've managed to get two fixes into the game so far. 

E: It looks like I might get a third. Progress!

Nice. Not to brag, but :rolleyes:...

Spoiler

let's see, 4 of mine were in build 1174 alone, another 3 in 1180, 1 in 1183, and so far 1 for whatever's after 1183.

Oh and I've probably contributed something to like a third of the fixes so far. Whether that something was useful is open to debate though :D

(... Of course, I also have pretty much no life and can spend all day screwing around with KSP....)

Edited by armagheddonsgw

1 hour ago, armagheddonsgw said:

I feel I could have done more, but I really didn't want to make any bug reports on things I didn't know how to fix. Like, the ones I've made are pretty much just typos.

It's nice to see how quickly we're powering through the bugs... makes that two week deadline seem more realistic.

Just now, KerbonautInTraining said:

I feel I could have done more, but I really didn't want to make any bug reports on things I didn't know how to fix.

Oh... don't be silly, that's the devs' jobs :PYours is to tell them what's broken, how it's broken, and give them the logs and such* that'll help them figure out why it's broken (and how to fix it).

The logs alone might be enough a lot of the time to be honest; stack traces can be invaluable for helping you figure out why something is broken (and KSP swallows a lot of its exceptions so those appear in the logs for more than just crashes).

Plus, if you don't report a bug, unless someone else sees the same thing and reports it, that definitely isn't getting fixed unless by some miracle it gets noticed in a code audit (very unlikely in a project this large). :P

* things like reproduction steps, screenshots, videos showing what triggers a bug, etc.

I keep resisting the urge to log-in and do something, I really want to wait for 1.1.  Ironically, the wait is even harder now that I know it's being tested and debugged.

Just 2 days ago I watched a science show about the Concorde and I thought... you know what ?  I could totally do this with the new plane parts from 1.0.5... Managed to resist logging-in and making a Concorde.
I rechecked my PC yesterday because a friend asked me how much core I had.   I was pretty sure I had 6, turns out I have 12...  1,1's going to be so sweet, now maybe I can finally build a proper base on Pol like I planned in 0.25 but stopped because of lag.  :)

10 hours ago, armagheddonsgw said:

Reveal hidden contents

let's see, 4 of mine were in build 1174 alone, another 3 in 1180, 1 in 1183, and so far 1 for whatever's after 1183.

Oh and I've probably contributed something to like a third of the fixes so far. Whether that something was useful is open to debate though :D

(... Of course, I also have pretty much no life and can spend all day screwing around with KSP....)

Why, hello there, Danny. :D

Edited by Mjp1050

2 hours ago, Mjp1050 said:

Why, hello there, Danny. :D

Heh, I wish. I did report one bug that was in Danny's 1.1 video and not on the tracker though. :P (the bit where a kerbal spazzed out on collision with the wheels - it happens in other situations with no wheels at all). Not fixed yet afaik though :(

Just now, OndrikB said:

When do you hope KSP 1.1 will be released?

Soon™ and/or Forthwith™!

Serious answer: it's supposed to be about 2 weeks after the pre-release started. so something like 9-10 days? Depends on how buggy it is at the end of that I guess though.

Hopefully in just over a week, as per the 'plan', but ideally when Squad are happy that it's ready. If it's a bit sooner then that awesome, but if it's a bit later then so be it, the wait will be worthwhile.

On 4/2/2016 at 10:35 PM, KerbonautInTraining said:

Not sure where else to post this...

A fresh KSP 1.0.5 install is about 1.8 GB

A fresh KSP pre-release install is about 3.9 GB

They did say it's a big update but jeez (Not complaining, if anything it shows how much work has gone into 1.1)

There are two folder, KSP_DATA and KSP_DATA_64 at 1.78 GB. and are for the 32 bit and 64 bit versions

Good news RCS thrusters work with throttle in the fore direction.  Now holding the H key is obsolete.

VObrX6J.png

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

2 hours ago, pandaman said:

Hopefully in just over a week, as per the 'plan', but ideally when Squad are happy that it's ready. If it's a bit sooner then that awesome, but if it's a bit later then so be it, the wait will be worthwhile.

With 121 confirmed bugs on the tracker I'd be surprised if they hit my guess of the 12:th.

But hey, if they take the time they need it'll be less bugs in the actual release :)

15 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

With 121 confirmed bugs on the tracker I'd be surprised if they hit my guess of the 12:th.

But hey, if they take the time they need it'll be less bugs in the actual release :)

Quite a few of those are tiny issues that barely matter though. On the other hand there's several serious issues that haven't been confirmed yet, or "Need More Info", or similar, so I guess it could go either way. Plus Squad don't need to fix everything to get it "good enough" for release. We're up to ~2000 open issues (as of the time of writing this) between the main bug tracker and the pre-release one. Even if you assume 75% of those aren't really bugs, or duplicates, or similar (generous imho), there's no way that'll all be fixed in ~10 days time :P

15 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

That's my logic too.

It will never be 100% bug free, someone can, and will, always find something new even when all the known issues are dealt with, but it has to be of sufficient quality before they open the gates and let it run free.  And there is always the chance that one particular issue just proves harder to fix, so takes longer than expected.

1 hour ago, armagheddonsgw said:

Quite a few of those are tiny issues that barely matter though. 

To be fair, lots of tiny issues can really add up to give the game an unpolished feel. Things like gimbals staying locked when not staged, UI click through, etc. put a sizable dent in my enjoyment of 1.0.0 (which is when I got the game)

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

Just now, KerbonautInTraining said:

To be fair, lots of tiny issues can really add up to give the game an unpolished feel. Things like gimbals staying locked when not staged, UI click through, etc. really put a dent in my enjoyment of 1.0.0 (which is when I got the game)

Tiny things being stuff like this that doesn't really affect gameplay much if at all:

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/8287 (most people don't really spend enough time in the menu to notice, or play the tutorials for that matter).

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/8286

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/8116

I have seen a lot of similar things waiting to be confirmed too, including some of mine. Those were just the first 3 in the "confirmed" category I could find.

Though granted, it detracts from the feeling of the game being polished when you notice these kinds of things.

I am holding off on downloading the prerelease. There aren't a lot of new features that are making me jump towards the prerelease. The thing I think that makes 1.1 so appealing is Unity 5 and real 64bit capeabilites. That's what exciting to me because I can play KSP with nods in ways I have never been able to play it and in many ways play the ways I have always wanted to play it without any compromises. I don't need 100 mods but as a Mac user I have been able to have ALOT of fun over the last few years throwing in a few mods and playing the game different ways  depending on what mods I had installed. But I have never had a really long term save because if I wanted to add more mods I would need to remove to add new things. I have never really been able to everything I wanted to make the game just the way I wanted. Again that's not a complaint truly it isn't. I have had hundreds of hours of fun, maybe thousands playing KSP in different ways. Now that I know that 1.1 final release is imminent I am perfectly ok waiting. 

I have so far found 3 bugs in the 1.1 prerelease, and all 3 were previously reported on the bugtracker.

I'm a bit despondent that I'm "not helping" but it's nice to see such an active bug-finding community. I'm of course on the outside of all of this but it really looks like this public beta thing is so far going quite well.